PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 21:46:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!  (Read 119662 times)
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
« Reply #150 on: 2008 June 30, 21:25:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, for the love of pete. Infinite sims is reporting that installation of the download manager downloads the latest patch, which in turn adds the latest Securom.

I had kind of considered it, until I read that.

I cynically assumed that was the entire purpose of the whole thing.  Sad

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
Astonished lemons
Banned!

OHAI

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2008 June 30, 21:38:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jeez, EA's just wrecking what good the sims had.

Although Securom hasnt done anything to my computer, just hearing about how majorly borked it is, and how they dont seem to care about its borking capabilities was almost tooo much.

This has to be the stupidest thing theyve ever done. I looked at the links to the hair downloads, and its almost all stuff that comes with the EPs, and the rest of it is just really ugly stuff that more than likley has a much better looking counterpart at XMsims or MTS2.

Shocked
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: 2008 June 30, 21:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, for the love of pete. Infinite sims is reporting that installation of the download manager downloads the latest patch, which in turn adds the latest Securom.

I had kind of considered it, until I read that.

I cynically assumed that was the entire purpose of the whole thing.  Sad

I think it may be.  I did mention that a few pages back.  I have the EADM cause i'm one of the less smart people with digital downloads.  that stays connected to your internet.  You, in theory, cannot play your game unless signed in.  It will autoupgrade itself without permission, and autoupgrade securom.

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2008 June 30, 22:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any problems with the store, except that the previews are increadibly stupid, and paying one dollar for each item (especially hair with only ONE FRIGGIN age-group) is an enormous rip-off. If you buy this, it's your own damn fault. But, it's their content so they can do whatever they want with it. Even make an epic phail of the century.

Inactive
divinebovine
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2008 June 30, 23:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind it as an idea for people who like maybe one or two things in a stuff pack and don't want to shell out for the rest.

However, the "exclusives" thing nauseates me. Other than the software for my career and my other hobby (making portraits and cat macros), I have no other software on my computer. It is my only computer, my personal computer and it's old. Occasionally I'll get an EP or an SP as a gift but for the rest, I have to save. Some of the new things are really nice, but they are waaay too pricey for one item. The exclusives should be free.

Well, everything should be free. Not the games obviously, but the content. I buy the games because I love them and because the more EPs/SPs I have, the more (free!) custom content my computer will be compatible with. My sims never go to Uni or on vacation but I got those packs because I like the items and their ability to expand gameplay.

If there is a possibility of all (not some, ALL) of the exclusives being available in a future stuff pack with a REASONABLE price for a REASONABLE amount of stuff, I'll save my money. Otherwise I know where I'm going to get my downloads.
PheonixDragonfly
Landlubber

Where's the rum?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: 2008 June 30, 23:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any problems with the store, except that the previews are increadibly stupid, and paying one dollar for each item (especially hair with only ONE FRIGGIN age-group) is an enormous rip-off. If you buy this, it's your own damn fault. But, it's their content so they can do whatever they want with it. Even make an epic phail of the century.
HAIL NOUK!

It's been said, but out of the six free items, TWO are new. One from NL, Celebration, Family Fun, and OFB.
So, two ugly items, and pay a buck (At least) for everything else?

It's a pointless waste of money dollars. AND, to buy a whole SP on the site would cost more than going out and buying it in a store.
Not. For. Me.
Squidly
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2008 July 01, 01:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

whats so funny about all thats going on, we feed these money hungry corporations with idea's.

they say shit why did we not think of this, we can sell individual items or they can buy the complete set.

you see all the people that even get there and take donations just for there bandwidth, well even thats a selling point.

so if the community decided all was free and no charge on anything, things might of stayed the same.

thats what i call food for thought.

but ill say this, i will never buy stuff packs ever again, only the expansion packs from now on.

All i can say that mts2 has opened all our eyes!

Regardless of who's owns the artwork, or who slaved for over 2 weeks to give us this fine dress or hair recolor.  Once its packaged to use on the sims 2 then i think all rights have gone out the door.

Royalties come to mind.  Very touchy subject, just my thoughts!
« Last Edit: 2008 July 01, 02:59:48 by Squidly » Logged

To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: 2008 July 01, 03:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They could offer it for .01 apiece and as long as securom comes with the download, it isn't worth it.  That is the most invasive and ridiculous thing I have ever heard. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: 2008 July 01, 03:55:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It comes with the download manager needed to get the items.  I wasn't clear.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2008 July 01, 04:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Changed my mind, I do have a problem with the site. Selling exclusive downloads for 1 dollar a pop is disgusting for the following reasons:
- They will not release them in a stuff pack, ever, so they can make 45 exclusive hairs, and you will pay 45 dollars for just some hairsCompare this to what they normally have to do to get the same amount of money. New interactions, new animations, new additions, new coding, new gameplay, hundreds of new meshes of all kinds, etc etc etc. Instead of spending months creating an EP, they can make just 45 items and get the same damn amount of money. Process cost is next to nothing compared to an EP, and that's exactly what you get: next to nothing.
- They will not fix the millions of bugs in the game we pay for, but instead make us pay for other content a piece without having to add anything substantial to the gameplay(!)

Now if someone would be kind enough to shove this in this BBS-EApaysitepromoting-robot's face (the one that pretends to listen for complaints but actually ignores most of them).

Inactive
Souvenirs
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2008 July 01, 05:16:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just downloaded a bunch of stuff from the site Tridently posted and all I have to say is ick.  I don't have all the EPs and have none of the SPs, so I'm not sure what came with what, but I'd feel pretty screwed over if I'd actually paid for this stuff, especially a lot of the hair.  This in particular has to be one of the worst hair meshes I've ever seen:

It's just so...stiff and clumpy looking or something, and it gives any sim you stick it on an elongated forehead (one of my biggest pet peeves).  Definitely DO NOT WANT.

I also love that they're selling these two separately, despite the fact that they're both exactly the same except that one has a crown and some bangs tacked on (and the bangs aren't even the same color as the rest of the hair Huh):

The rest are mixed, some icky and some fairly nice, but I don't think there's one I haven't seen done better for free.  Too bad so many people don't realize that. Undecided
ADCO_Tae
ARR!

Civil official from TH & Banned ex-FA of TSR

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2008 July 01, 05:35:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Souvenirs, a lot of Maxis's hairs in EPs & SPs also have fivehead so I am not surprise about that.

By the way, some clothes are too weird to wear like the Cleopatra Dresses, World Fashion Dresses, and French Foreign Legion Uniform.

But it is too bad that I also like some of the new meshes like Backless Sheaths with Feathered Neck & Modern Mayan Dresses.

Everyone please slap me now, I should not like any of them  Undecided.

I changed a lot from a stupid teen working for TSR to a civil official ( Position : Assistant District Chief Officer ) working for my country.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2008 July 01, 05:44:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*lifts a heavy paw and SLAP!* You told me to...  Cheesy

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Squidly
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2008 July 01, 05:50:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nothing wrong with the mesh, i am sure some talent out there could turn it into a Pecaso Shocked

yet again, now i have all this custom content  Lips sealed

ill test the lot, one at a time!  Cool

ill create A Sim and experiment now, and give my feed back on what i use and how it presents itself in the game!  Tongue

only because i am so bored  Grin

Downloads a free  Smiley house from mts2 called "--The Rose Garden(no cc)--"  Cheesy for my Sim  Wink

since i am a guy ill make a lady Sim to play with  Grin

better correct my spelling Wink
« Last Edit: 2008 July 01, 12:55:52 by Squidly » Logged

To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me.
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2008 July 01, 05:54:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nothing wrong with the mesh, i am sure some talent out there could turn it into a Pescaso Shocked

Squid, was that a pun-like cross of Picasso and Pescado, or a typo? Wink

From what I've seen so far, I'm not incredibly impressed by these pay-per-download items, but I'd still like to get a little more info. Most of the hairs in particular are bland and uninteresting, and quite frankly I don't want a hot pink recolor of the gorilla head, either. Still, I'd love to see more screenshots of the items, if you have time (and are sufficiently bored), so thanks for offering to do the potentially dirty work. Smiley

And Souvenirs, I actually don't find that curly mesh too horrific. Kind of five-headed with a rather unnaturally wide part, but other than that it seems...okay, anyway. Not great, but not exactly vomit-worthy, either. The updo's, on the other hand...well, the one with the crown is particularly fugly. And as you pointed out, they are exactly the same product with a couple of shoddily executed alterations, but EA apparently feels justified in charging the same outrageous price for each of them. Absolutely appalling.
« Last Edit: 2008 July 01, 06:00:50 by glasscigarette » Logged

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: