PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 12:41:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!  (Read 119670 times)
Dita
Landlubber

View Profile
Re: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
« Reply #105 on: 2008 June 20, 01:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why the fuck would they put SecuRom on something that's free like a demo?

To stop those who will seek to hack the game later from understanding the code now.

True. And in fact that is exactly what Sony DADC recommends: putting the same version of SecuROM on the demo as on the actual game. Now, on the other hand you could obviously argue that it gives those seeking to crack it a lovely little headstart for practising before the actual game comes out.

As for myself: Yeah, I totally wanna pay £7 for SecuROM. I sadly lost mine when I last removed it. It is being dearly missed in my household.

Fuck you, EA!
Kragey
ARR!

I can haz CC?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2008 June 20, 03:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who DOESN'T want to rape their hard drive IMMEDIATELY, with low low low prices like that?!

ValkyrieProfile
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2008 June 20, 05:59:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why wait for people to actually BUY the game before borking their computer?
dotcom
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2008 June 22, 04:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jesus, EA posts a survey and immediately this topic goes up crazy raging about how much they hate EA and how stupid they are and how they shot themselves in the foot and how you not even gonna bother to play the sims 3 because their gonna sell individual content.

guys, they never said they were gonna do any of those things!
their just asked some questions.

over reacting much?
Kragey
ARR!

I can haz CC?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2008 June 22, 04:26:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

over reacting much?

If you prepare for the worst, it feels 10x better when the worst doesn't happen. Generally speaking, though, EA has a pretty crappy track record.

HeartOFire
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2008 June 22, 05:27:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been playing the sims since it came out.  When I saw the Sims 2, I HATED it.  It took me awhile and some "practice" and now I love it.  I am certain I will get Sims 3 (SecRom has not affected me..yet).  It also looks like we can make a lot of our own stuff in Sims 3 (i.e.blue and red is your favorite colour - then you can change the furniture yourself).

As far as the survey goes, I am not surprised.  EA would respond in emails that paysites were illegal, but made no effort to shut them down.  Why?  Because custom content keeps this game going.  I am wondering if EA is going to "partner" with a lot of paysites.  Once EA puts its mark on TSR, the argument that TSR is operating illegally goes out the window (still run by jerks, but legally run by jerks).  Or maybe they will buy content off of certain sites and put it on an EA paysite?  This would be a logical way to keep Sims 2 alive (and add another profit to EA) while the Sims 3 takes root.  I am not saying I agree, but from a "lets get all the dollars we can from the sims community" it makes sense.

Its not paranoia or an overreation....its just a thought.

Vod Kaknockers
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2008 June 22, 06:24:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering the quality of their products, SecuROM and EA's general laissez-faire attitude concerning product support and consumer relations; I don't feel that assuming EA will do the wrong thing is overreacting.  Quite frankly, they deserve every bit of the bad-mouthing and bad word-of-mouth they're getting.

That being said, it is completely true that they've not announced any plans to charge for downloads.  But, they didn't announce they were changing over to SecuROM either.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 23, 04:42:55 by Vod Kaknockers » Logged

'Cause beans and cornbread, they go hand in hand.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: 2008 June 22, 07:15:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jesus, EA posts a survey and immediately this topic goes up crazy raging about how much they hate EA and how stupid they are and how they shot themselves in the foot and how you not even gonna bother to play the sims 3 because their gonna sell individual content.

over reacting much?

Actually, one of their previous surveys was about superstar and makin magic things - which ones you liked and which ones you didn't.  Not to mention the section on apartment life.  They often do market research and then do it.

For example, a survey a while ago asked about stuff we're now seeing/seen published - highlighted in bold:

Items from a horror movie, including creepy costumes, scary decorations, and gothic furniture
Items for entertaining including weddings, fiestas, birthdays, anniversary or cocktail parties.
Items range from recreational outdoor sports to safari to country life
Items focusing on traditional Europe including France, UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, and more
Items to throw a party for a birthday, wedding, anniversary or holiday 
Items from all around the globe including Asia, Africa, Europe and modern America
Items to keep your Sims warm and cozy all winter long 
Items from the best times of the last century roaring 20s, happy 50s, crazy 60s
Items focused on Asia including India, China, Japan, Indonesia and beyond 
Items to makeover hair, accessories, and attire
Items to deck out the outside of your Sims house including landscaping and patio décor 
Items from the southwest US, both past & present, Native American décor and items for ranch living
Items to create a tropical hideaway for your Sims 
Items to throw a costume party, including outrageous outfits from throughout history and entertainment

That survey also mentioned Ikea - as in the Ikea Stuff Pack as of the time of the survey, more than a year away. I don't think that it's unreasonable based on their surveys they might actually think about doing this, in which case, outrage and reaction deserved.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Greenie
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2008 June 30, 15:05:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just an update guys - their horrid paysite is up and running now with a few dozen items, of which many are exclusive.

http://thesims2store.ea.com/index.html
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: 2008 June 30, 15:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

5 dollars for 500 sim points, 10.00 for 1000 and 20.00 for 2000 sim points. Basically, it is a dollar per 100 sim points. No discount for buying in large blocks.   So if a chair is 100 points and a sofa is 100 points, you are spending 1.00 a piece.  So far their offers don't look any better than many things made by fans, including me.  Hair is also 1oo sims points. 

ETA:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42099250@N00/2625142344/sizes/o/
« Last Edit: 2008 June 30, 15:30:22 by tomato » Logged

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: 2008 June 30, 15:24:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

right.  AND.  you have to have the EA Download manager.
that goddamn thing is the devil.  it's the same thing that makes it so securom can auto upgrade in your system. 

ETA:  I registered, minus that whole give them money part... and the 6 totally exclusive items that I get for that? 

1 is a painting from nightlife.  1 is that curly ponytail thing from OFB.  1 is the power mirror from Family Fun Stuff, 1 is a vase from celebration, 1 is a fairly heinous looking dress in green and yellow with a silver belt thing and elbow high gloves (sims2 store exclusive) and a recliner lounge chair. is so so looking (sims2 store exclusive.)

ok.  let me see if i get this straight.  they're going to release the things from stuff packs and ep's as single items so you can download them.   so if i wanted the princess stuff from FFS I can totally download it instead of buying the SP.  but if want the whole set, won't that be more expensive at a dollar an item? 
« Last Edit: 2008 June 30, 15:30:34 by chemistrycourtney » Logged

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Greenie
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2008 June 30, 15:24:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, is that what a Sim Point equates to? The Sims 2 Store must be more of a rip-off than SPs if £10 ($20) is worth roughly 20 items. That's not including Build Mode stuff. Of course, there is much better free content out there than their 6 free items. I hope this is a disaster waiting to happen.
susim
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2008 June 30, 15:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

over reacting much?
Apparently not.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: 2008 June 30, 15:31:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No kidding.  I just modified my last post to include a screen shot.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Greenie
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2008 June 30, 15:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of the comments made by some people on the BBS worry me (as usual)

Quote from: bluebonn
For me I am pleased as I cant stand paysites! I don't mind paying for content as long as its from EA.

Er... it is a paysite? Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: