PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 14:32:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR IS A SUCK-ASS SUCKY WEBSITE
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 149 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR IS A SUCK-ASS SUCKY WEBSITE  (Read 586192 times)
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
TSR IS A SUCK-ASS SUCKY WEBSITE
« Reply #765 on: 2007 June 04, 18:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "darkangel"
I'm surprised they didn't take Bruno in as a FA yet...he's German after all.  :lol:

He's not! He is a Finn.

Or at least I think he is. I am 95% sure. (His pets' names are Finnish names and for one of his lipsticks he made a mock-ad that was similar to a Finnish cosmetics company ads.)

And rum for Marcel for not becoming a FA.

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: 2007 June 04, 22:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, it wouldn't hurt anything if we took time to thank 4-5 good free creators specifically, especially those who aren't currently actively involved (or maybe even aware of?) the paysite v. freesite scufflings.

You know.

"Dear [creator],

I wanted to take a minute to thank you for [item(s)]. I enjoy them regularly, and [it/they] make [my Sim(s) look attractive / my 'hoods like great / me enjoy my game so much more / (compliment here)].

I've noticed that a lot of free creators are getting [rude comments / ugly mail / complaints] lately, and I may be a little paranoid, but it seems like a lot of this harassment started when EA began issuing statements that they did not support paysites and might consider legal options against paysite owners. I am hoping that talented content creators like you are not discouraged, because your contribution(s) are appreciated. I would hate to see less free content online, just because some nice folks like you have received a lot of nasty mail.

I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your hard work and generosity, and I hope that if you have received or do eventually receive any unpleasant mail, that you will remember that I'm not the only one who has enjoyed and used your creations to make my game more fun.

Thank you!!

[Your name here]
[links to relevant threads on PMBD]"

Know what I mean, guys?

We bitch about how it may be paysite supporters bugging the nicest freesite people, but are we taking the time to thank these folks, to balance out the kind of feedback they may be getting?

Sure, some folks liek Pes don't want thanks or feedback (BAAA! BAAAA!), but some folks appreciate a kind word and encouragement.

It can't hurt, and it will feel nice to share some positivity.

I admit I don't always hit the "Thanks!" buttons on sites, so my praise for freesite people may not ever get back to them directly. Me telling a bunch of folks downloading something from my paltry little stash of Sims that "the green shirt outfit you like so much and asked me about? It's from Decorgal, she does a lot of nice things" may never get back to Decorgal herself.

So I'm including myself in the ranks of people who could do a little better about showing appreciation. It may be free, thanks may not be required, but it is a nice gesture. If pro-paysite people ARE targeting freesite folks and being insulting in order to discourage them, maybe a little encouragement is the right medicine for the problem.

Of course, we may be giving pro-paysite people far too much credit. You have to admit it shows some smarts and sneakiness to deliberately plan a "piss them off, make them quit" campaign like we're describing. It doesn't seem like their style. Too slow, not guaranteed to give a result, and far too little DRAMA involved.

:roll:

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: 2007 June 04, 23:14:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lorelei's got the right idea.

The free site owners I've taken time to thank on guestbooks or email have always been SOOO gracious and happy to gab a bit. I think they get so much CRAPmail, the nice emails make them feel good about what they do. I've become friends with Moune, Kate, and Kimberly at Sunni Sims because of these kinds of emails.

======

Added later, after watching parts of TSR come up only to crash again:

Is it wrong to fantasize about the TSR servers blowing up? Smoke coming out of the disk drives....flames shooting out the back....dripping masses of melted metal containing the precious - and rather expensive - pixels...

...with NO backup.

Is that drream so wrong? Am I bad person to want his system to fail on a massive scale? To watch an evil empire crumble into five bucks' worth of scrap metal?

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: 2007 June 05, 02:08:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Taking the time to thank free creators is definitely something I've been doing more of lately.  It can only help and it's a nice thing to do.  I must say that in my dreams where I can actually create free CC that people actually use, I would be fiercely hissed off at the whiff of paysite peeps pooping in my territory, and only try harder to do better and stay free.  But I'm a stubborn old woman.

Hecubus - I also dream of TSR crashing and burning, not even so much because they're a paysite, but because I hate the layout so much.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
darkangel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: 2007 June 05, 04:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "alia"
Quote from: "darkangel"
I'm surprised they didn't take Bruno in as a FA yet...he's German after all.  :lol:

He's not! He is a Finn.

Or at least I think he is. I am 95% sure. (His pets' names are Finnish names and for one of his lipsticks he made a mock-ad that was similar to a Finnish cosmetics company ads.)

And rum for Marcel for not becoming a FA.

Oh. Then that was Larsson1970.  :lol:

pescado's fangirl*

sharing the free love, no hidden catch, no strings attached...just free love
<3
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: 2007 June 05, 06:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lorelie's got the right idea. I think it's in defiantly in everyone's interest to encourage and help foster an environment where free sites can flourish. Maybe we could post a letter of support on this forum, get enough signatures then send them off to either free sites, or individuals involved with free sites. Something along the lines of "We've got your back .... the Pirates". Provided of course that Pescado goes in for a Mickey Rooney approach.

Also, if it hasn't already been done, it may not hurt to include a well put together email about EA's latest stand on the pay site issue. And encourage them to post it where their visitors can easily see it. A sort of, get the information out there campaign. A lot of regular pay site users who also frequent the free sites may not even be aware of the whole issue. It just might make them think twice.

Another thing to consider is that it's quite possible TSR has been using the EA stand to recruit creators who for years have been assuming that anything they create for the sims is they're soul property. EA's recent position must have come as a shock to these folks. How else to explain the recent of influx of creative types into the TSR Factory. Letting these people know we're on their side wouldn't hurt.  

In any contest, even one as seemingly minor as free vs pay, you never underestimate an opponent.  Even if they are complete morons. Complete morons can do considerable damage.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: 2007 June 05, 08:28:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't know that a form letter would help so much - there's lots of form letter stuff at Insim - "nice job" - and seeing its on every thread, well it's kind of background noise.

I suggest though, that for the time devoted to all the other stuff, either click the Thanks button, or put something nice, and heartfelt in the guestbook - I think that that will mean a lot more - particularly if you don't forget to do it after the parsim message has faded a bit.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: 2007 June 05, 09:29:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"

I suggest though, that for the time devoted to all the other stuff, either click the Thanks button, or put something nice, and heartfelt in the guestbook - I think that that will mean a lot more - particularly if you don't forget to do it after the parsim message has faded a bit.

*nods* Indeed.

I have a stupidly high post count at MTS2 because I thank so many people...if I download it, or it catches my eye, then I will post a thanks or click thanks.

And when I go on a downloading spree at a site, I leave a comment in their GB (if they have one).  Cheesy

Its disenheartening though how the number of people who say thank you to a creator get outweighed by the amount who say ZOMG I HATE IT... :?

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: 2007 June 05, 10:23:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sad
Steffor seems to be updating quite often at TSR, so I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before they "unexpectedly" announce her as the next SA/FA.
 :cry:

I always click thanks on MTS2. If somebody has taken the time to create something and upload it, I have the time to click the thanks button as well.

I know I should post thanks on people's guestbooks and forums as well, but I don't do it that often, mainly because I am lazy. Sad

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Hekima
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: 2007 June 05, 13:36:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And TSR is down again. Wow. It must be really sad.

Edit: And now it's back again. It's not sad enough!

emember: The phrase "free gift" is redundant.
littlemisspirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: 2007 June 05, 14:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "alia"
Sad
Steffor seems to be updating quite often at TSR, so I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before they "unexpectedly" announce her as the next SA/FA.
 :cry:

Man, I hope not.  I love her stuff.  She makes interesting, exotic little things.

But FWIW, I think she's just spreading herself around...she just uploaded a new set to Avalon, and she sometimes sends gifts to the Simbella crew.  I remember when the Birgit/BR drama happened, she was still creating meshes for free while Birgit was trying to defend being a shady bitch.  People *can* upload to TSR without having ill intentions, although admittedly I don't see why.
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: 2007 June 05, 14:58:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love Steffor's stuff too. That's why I am hoping she isn't moving to TSR.

The only creator TSR hasn't ruined (quality wise) is IMHO Aikea_Guinea. Her stuff might be pay and it is at TSR, but it is always top quality.
When you compare her stuff to the rest of the new FAs... Meh.

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: 2007 June 05, 16:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanking free site owners is something I don't do enough.  Thanks for the reminder.

I don't think TSR is cowed one tiny bit by EA's statement.  I would bet they have some kind of "exclusive" deal with each other.  That's one of the reasons I doubt EA would move on paysites anytime soon.

You know what gives me nightmares?  The thought that TSR will scoop up all the good (and lousy) creators in the community and become a sims2 download monopoly. :x

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: 2007 June 05, 17:02:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"

Added later, after watching parts of TSR come up only to crash again:

Is it wrong to fantasize about the TSR servers blowing up? Smoke coming out of the disk drives....flames shooting out the back....dripping masses of melted metal containing the precious - and rather expensive - pixels...

...with NO backup.

Is that drream so wrong? Am I bad person to want his system to fail on a massive scale? To watch an evil empire crumble into five bucks' worth of scrap metal?

You weren't very far off according to TSR's news:

* Jun 5, 2007
    * By Per|TSR (Source: The Sims Resource)

Due to a hardware failure we experienced some downtime yesterday, and we have also had to do some maintenance today. The site should now run as usual, but you may experience some slowness during a few days as we are running the database on a temporary server while waiting for the replacement parts. We are sorry for any inconveniance caused by this problem.

:lol:

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: 2007 June 05, 17:33:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "dietofworms"
You know what gives me nightmares?  The thought that TSR will scoop up all the good (and lousy) creators in the community and become a sims2 download monopoly. :x

I don't think you have to worry about that at all - Nouk, Berg, Ren (of Rensim), Inge, Pescado, and many more are all here railing against paysites - if they were going to be absorbed into the mega TSR blob it would have happened long ago.

Not to mention that Enayla didn't seem so thrilled while their "all your contents are belong to us" policy, and I'm sure she's not the only one.

The only great free creator that may eventually go pay (and I think mostly just to spite us here, and because he seems to feel great resentment that people want him to create at all - even if they don't badger him) is beosboxboy - he regularly posts at exnem and tsr, both work and comments.  As marvine doesn't seem to feel the same way - or at least gave no indication that she does - I don't think she'll follow.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 149 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: