PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 03:47:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Exchange says no to custom content that breaks copyrights
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Exchange says no to custom content that breaks copyrights  (Read 8178 times)
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
The Exchange says no to custom content that breaks copyrights
« on: 2008 May 27, 15:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I've not seen this already posted, and thought this would interest many of you..

Quote from: MaxoidDramaLlama
Hey Simmers, 
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but copyrighted material is not allowed in the exchange. I see many awesome creations everyday, but certain characters or designs are actually owned by other companies. Unfortunately I'm going to have to hide those creations.

I just wanted to let you know, it's not because it wasn't cool, it's just because we want to be sure we don't step on any toes.

-Keep on Creating!

Stupidly long BBS thread link here

So, custom content that uses copyrighted material is being booted of the Exchange. And if you read down the thread (from xxxSpaceLlamaxxx's first post and from there onwards), people do ask about this issue regarding pay items and paysites: as of yet there is no reply to this from a Maxoid, but would be interesting to see if someone does reply to it. But this seems to cry out EAxis' take on it, even if they are only inforcing this on the Exchange..it does show they dont want copyrighted custom content going on

Mm so what do you think? I just thought this was rather interesting..

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
Re: The Exchange says no to custom content that breaks copyrights
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 27, 16:14:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is going to be interesting.  I wonder if EA will force TSR's hand on this, too--there's an awful lot of Disney stuff on there.  But even more, what will constitute a "derivative" work and thus be allowed? Will people be able to post a set of Subway and change the logos to Flubway?  Or use Ikea images and call them Idea ? And jumping way ahead, many of the FA's at TSR copy their stuff from real designer objects and clothing.  Is that going to be a problem for them (I hope, I hope Grin.)

ETA:  But it also occurs to me that this policy is nuts.  It's not just Disney and the big companies that copyright stuff, it's also painters, photographers, wall paper designers, architects, etc.  How can this be enforced?

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
Titan
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 27, 17:00:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Logically, this is going to be really hard to enforce and if they do manage to enforce it to some degree, they really won't have alot left over because alot of people do tend to create things that have some type of characterization on it.  This new rule is going to get rid of alot of cc on the exchange and if the paysites end up being forced to listen to it, alot of them are going to really hurt. 

Note:  I really hope that I'm making sense here, stupid cold and sinus medication is making me feel really light headed today.

rome_raven
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 27, 17:41:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That thread is from 2007.  Has anyone noticed a change yet?
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 27, 23:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heeyar.

From just a random Exchange search.  Uploaded a few days ago.  It's merely the tip of the recently uploaded iceberg (not picking on this uploader at all, just an example, she/he is definitely not the only one and most likely unaware of the post Capn Jo linked to - if yer gonna report this child, get settled in for a long haul reporting everyone else below her for years - and that's just for Disney sims).

I remember this post tho.  It was a bit after H&M came out and all of a sudden EA was cognizant of trademark infringement in their uploads.  Roll Eyes  I dunno.  They're all for free on the Exchange.  I'd think it's the sites that are charging for such infringement that would get the pointy ends first.
« Last Edit: 2008 May 27, 23:40:22 by JFederated » Logged

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
Twiki
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 28, 00:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, how lovely. Did anyone take a closer look at copyrighted part in question in that example exchange upload?

"Full Body   LianaSims2 - Donation 13 - Kid036" - the Minnie Mouse dress. Copyrighted stuff on paysites is FUN!

--[ my sims2 stuff - last update: 8 Aug ]--
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 May 28, 01:12:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering the age of the thread, if nothing has changed yet, it's not likely to any time soon. Unless, of course, community pressure continues to mount, which is certainly possible.

The use of copyrighted material is mind-boggling to me, particularly in pay content. In some twisted version of reality occupied by pay creators, it's apparently logical to pay for pixels, even when it blatantly violates the rules. But what logic allows that to extend to objects that display RL copyrighted items? It honestly doesn't bother me when it involves free content because nobody is gaining anything off of it except the joy of injecting a little realism into the game. But when you charge for these items, you're circumventing more than one law.

And why don't more companies crack down on this? Free publicity is the best publicity, I guess, but why would you want to allow someone to make money off of a trademark that you own?

I think I may be rambling a little incoherently, but you know what I mean.

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 May 28, 03:25:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I've heard, Disney is pretty anal regarding their Intellectual Property.  If LianaSims is charging money for something with Disney's character on it, then someone should give them a little tip Wink

Some companies DO crack down on it.  I think RetailSims had made a Subway set (it may have been pay) - and they had to remove it.  Then someone made a Starbuck's set and that was also removed.

What I don't get is why nobody complained about Exnem Sims, or whatever their name is.  They constantly made objects of Disney characters, but I'm not sure if Disney knew about it, or if they knew and just did nothing.

Redikolous
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 May 28, 03:43:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's the latter, Renegade.  Disney is truly anal about their copyright.  A tip would be a very good thing to do.

Why, hello thar!

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 May 28, 06:05:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I reported it as inappropriate content. They don't have an option for copyrighted content, but then they never meant to follow that policy anyways. It was obviously CYA.

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 May 28, 06:14:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"CYA"?

alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 May 28, 06:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CYA=Cover Your Ass?

I don't know, just guessing. Wink

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 May 28, 08:05:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That thread is from 2007.  Has anyone noticed a change yet?

Ah, I only looked at the month date (May3rd, figured that was only a few weeks ago..) and not the year date. Lips sealed So thats me being stupid lol sorry about that.

Considering the age of the thread, if nothing has changed yet, it's not likely to any time soon. Unless, of course, community pressure continues to mount, which is certainly possible.

Would have to agree on that. And huzzah for community pressure  Wink

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 May 28, 14:16:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every time I see the subject line of this thread, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY

Wink

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 May 28, 17:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CYA=Cover Your Ass?

I don't know, just guessing. Wink
Yup.