PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 10:36:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Umm...A rant. Sorry.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Umm...A rant. Sorry.  (Read 29036 times)
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
Re: Umm...A rant. Sorry.
« Reply #90 on: 2008 May 28, 01:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless I can use it as a RL bed, nothing justifies that file size. Unless perhaps I can use it as a RL bed, and it makes me breakfast every morning. It's kinda cute...but nearly 14 MB? Really?

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
celligirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2008 May 28, 01:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

13,667KB, to be exact. Insane, yes. I guess I should use it in my game and see if it does anything special. Like, indeed, make breakfast. Smiley Because otherwise? Way too big. Not even hairs are that big, and I've got some big hairs in my dl folder...

A string quartet: A good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and a person who hates violins.
devilsrope
ARR!

She's filled with secrets.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2008 May 28, 01:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For one thing, it has huge, and redundant might I add, textures.

Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: 2008 May 28, 01:12:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just looked at the package in SimPE, and I found Jimmy Hoffa.   Shocked

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2008 May 28, 01:15:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol Hec!

I um, really like the bed. If someone would make the wood texture finer, but still darkwood and remove all the unneccesary stuff, it would be really nice.
*sigh* As is, my game lags enough. Pity tho.  Cry
Nice beds are hard to come by.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: 2008 May 28, 01:18:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It compressorizes down to 5.18 meg, if that helps... I'd say it's got a lot of redundancy, which tells me this person just didn't know how to clone the object properly. Or how to make decent-sized texture files that maintain good resolution.

Oh yeah, the missing 18.5 minutes of the Watergate tapes is in there too. Wink

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2008 May 28, 01:32:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well Hec, you said it. It's got too much redundancy. That's the kill right there, total lack of interest Smiley There is better stuff out there, I am making it my mission to find it!

celligirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2008 May 28, 01:48:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just looked at the package in SimPE, and I found Jimmy Hoffa.   Shocked

*snicker* And all this time people have been looking inside the foundations of buildings when they should have been looking inside computer files! Cheesy

Big, redundant textures, huh? I assume that they're big and redundant in the file because they don't look big and redundant in the image.

*sigh* One of these days I need to figure out how to use SimPE to do other stuff besides mucking about with my Sims' stats. Smiley

I agree with Dee the bed could be prettified. If the textures were simply redone, would that reduce the file size or is the problem inherent in something else. (Yes, I am a n00b at this. Shut up. Wink )

A string quartet: A good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and a person who hates violins.
Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2008 May 28, 01:49:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could it be items like that who causes the game crashing? I once got my game crashed cause of a diningroomset.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2008 May 28, 01:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could it be items like that who causes the game crashing? I once got my game crashed cause of a diningroomset.

Well I don't think big items like that will cause a crash, that is usually done when coding is corrupt, or you have items that share the same GUID, or it's an object hack/mod and it's interfering with something else.
Something this big, like a 14MB bed, will just cause your game to lag because your computer works harder to draw it on the screen.  Cool I is smrt.

Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 2008 May 28, 02:08:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you deserve cookies and uhm rum for that.  Wink
Which mean, you're a smart girl!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: 2008 May 28, 07:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say it's got a lot of redundancy, which tells me this person just didn't know how to clone the object properly.

For one thing, they cloned the animations, and if they are the same as the Maxis anims, it's pointless.

They also used 1024 when 512 would have sufficed on the bedding frame, and they cloned a couple of beddings with it, and their alphas are huge.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
strix
ARR!

Pocket Pope

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: 2008 May 28, 09:22:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, maybe we should start looking for Harold Holt in there  Shocked

"You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who screams THEIR head off will be provided for you."
   Grouch cop, "Elmo in Grouchland"
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: 2008 May 28, 10:03:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read up to page 5, so I haven't read the past few pages (you appear to have gone off the topic and be talking about Maxis furniture and someone called Harold Holt, anyway), but I wanted to say that, celligirl, you made an excellent first post and I found it very true and realistic.
I've been writing different types of fanfiction since I was twelve years old (all heavily "disclaimer"-ed) and original fiction since I was five/Pescado's zero and I understand how completely wrong it is to charge for it (although I did go through a period of time where I wrote for myself--and relatively well, if I do say so myself--but still asked people to review to soothe my heart *headdesk*--suffice to say, I no longer do that. I have also received my fair share of flames and hatemail, so I know what that feels like, too).
I was a member of the community for people complaining about those charging for fanfiction--yes, there really WAS one of those--and I can say that there WERE people charging. In fact, there's a particular Star Wars novel on Amazon.com which is a fanfiction novel and the author is working for themselves and profitting quite nicely from this book which is unlinked to the SW franchise. I think this is disgusting. It is all well and done to be asked to write a novel in a particular series; Doctor Who, Buffy and Star Wars do it all the time: they get anyone to write a novel and put it in their series. However, choosing to write a novel with someone else's characters and to gain monetarily from is wrong.

But it was an excellent analogy, minding this particular author.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: 2008 May 28, 11:25:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say the main reason for the size are those ridiculously big texture maps. But it also has a relatively high poly mesh. Yeah, I know it's pretty boxy, but those pillows and the bedspread literally contain hundreds of unnecessary vertices. The pillows alone stand at more than 2000.  Roll Eyes

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: