PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 October 05, 22:51:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5290 Members
Latest Member: troubleneko
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  I smell bullshit
0 Members and 14 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I smell bullshit  (Read 114201 times)
Jysudo
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #165 on: 2006 December 27, 09:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I don't really care for Pixel's point. I don't see why you guys should and spend time arguing with him.

His stuff are not nice either.

TSR FAs are best downloaded and not seen or heard.

o Away.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #166 on: 2006 December 27, 11:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Capucine"
Um, it's more in the region of 200-500 sites on a shared hosting server (it can be as many as 1000) and these sites are all designated a percentage of the server's resources, whether they have people visiting them or not.

I counted the number of sites on this server. There were about 20 or 30, of which about 50% were uninhabited stubs consisting of a single front page peddling drugs and other dodgy products and services.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
graniaomalley
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #167 on: 2006 December 27, 18:41:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Quote from: "Capucine"
Um, it's more in the region of 200-500 sites on a shared hosting server (it can be as many as 1000) and these sites are all designated a percentage of the server's resources, whether they have people visiting them or not.

I counted the number of sites on this server. There were about 20 or 30, of which about 50% were uninhabited stubs consisting of a single front page peddling drugs and other dodgy products and services.

So this site fits right in, then? Rockin'!
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
I smell bullshit
« Reply #168 on: 2006 December 27, 18:57:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Jysudo"
TSR FAs are best downloaded and not seen or heard.

Aww, that kind of attitude is exactly what I don't want to be associated with.   I'm not all touchy-feely-come-on-everyone-lets-get-to-hugging-liberal or anything, but I can't say that I agree with that statement, simply because it dehumanizes the creators.   If they want to talk they can (and should, regardless of how stupid they are/sound), it's simply your choice if you want to read or not Cheesy

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
AnneBonny
ARR!

Currently doubting your existance

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #169 on: 2006 December 27, 22:34:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dr. Pixel, the one person I had thought to be the most sane of the FA bunch. While a damn shame to see a prominent creator stoop to a grubworm's level is heartbreaking... At least now I have new respect for Grizzelda and NeptuneSuzy who share their creations off TSR for free.

Quote from: "jesserocket"
At the very much most lenient interpretation of the word noncommercial, it means you're not allowed to make profit from things you've made for The Sims

Does this mean it doesn't apply to Dr.Pixel?  He yoinks car meshes from 3D sites that aren't suppose to be sold for commercial sites and converts them for The Sims 2 for profit.

“Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.”
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #170 on: 2006 December 27, 22:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say Cyclonesue seems pretty sane. Whatever her reasons for selling out to TSR are, they're tempered by a pragmatic acceptance of reality.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
AnneBonny
ARR!

Currently doubting your existance

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #171 on: 2006 December 27, 23:05:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll take your word on it. A few of the FA's mind's seem to float on idealistic reality that is firmly anchored in utter nonsense.

“Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.”
Dr Pixel
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #172 on: 2006 December 28, 14:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is what I object to about this site, and what prompted me to post in the first place.

I am the father of two kids, and I do not like sites that promote stealing, and even worse try to frame it as if they are doing something good.

You can bandy about all you like about the EULA and so on - but you admit, right there on the front page, that you are doing something wrong.  That whole bit about "you are here, wew are here" and how you aren't subject to US copyright laws is an open admission that you are violating them, isn't it?

BTW, the EULA, no matter what interpretation you care to make of it, is an agreement between the person who installs the software, and the creator/owner of the software.  If you think I (or anybody else) is in violation of the Maxis EULA then you can report it to Maxis - if they choose to do nothing about it, or openly support it themselves, that's the end of it.

So in short this is what I don't like about this site:

* Promotion of theft to kids as a way of solving a problem - that's the main one, I wouldn't have even bothered to post here if it wasn't for that.

* The thought-police attitude that seems to pervade this site, where many of you think you are the authorities on what people can and can't do with their Sims mods.

* The whole negativity thing - "Paysites must be destroyed" and all, you even have thre3ads here bashing Delphy and ModTheSims2 because they don't agree with your methods.  I can understand being against pay sites, but being against ModTheSims2?  That whole site exists to promote exactly what you claim to believe in.  Is it because they do it in a positive way that you object to?  I really don't get this part at all.

The rest of it I have no problem with, whether you like/hate/ignore paysites, whether you agree or disagree with me, whether you like me or my Sims2 items dosen't concern me in the least and I'm all for free speech.
postergirl
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #173 on: 2006 December 28, 14:28:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, get over it. It's not theft. Everything on this site in the booty was rightfully and legally purchased by someone here. Therefore it is there to do with as they please. Stop bitching and moaning and whining about how your hardwork has been stolen, because, as has been stated too many times to count here, whatever your trumped up excuse for creating content is, it boils down to whatever money you're getting from TSR. Otherwise you wouldn't give a damn. You are credited, no one's claiming your work as their own and if you were in it for the sole purpose of giving something to the community, we wouldn't be forced to listen to your incessant whining. Come back and debate with us when you're ready to admit that you're pissed about profit, not about your work or your kids. At least honesty would give us something to respect about you.

And I think the "bandying about" on the first page is to stop morons from throwing around needless empty threats to sue. Which is sad, because threats make for a very amusing read when Pescado posts them.

size=9]why we all gotta look, gotta act the same? i say, if you're born a lion don't bother trying to act tame.[/size]
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #174 on: 2006 December 28, 14:33:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dr Pixel, that last post was much more pleasant to read.  Your arguments there are much more reasonable.  

As a previous paying customer, and getting shoddy customer support, I am entitled to bitch and moan about the one paysite to which I have subbed.

A big percentage of the people who frequent here and add their comments, have had bad experiences with paysites.

This is a place to vent all the ill feelings we have,  we cannot go to the relevent sites, our comments and suggestions just get ignored.  So hopefully by having this site open, paysite owners may learn how to improve their services.

*I speak only for myself, and not on behalf of anybody else from this site.  

As Pescado said, negative comments are the most constructive.  Or, words to that effect.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #175 on: 2006 December 28, 15:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I think deep down most people here including the ones running the place have an idea the exact rights and wrongs are questionable - why else does it have a pirate theme?

When you buy software (eg someone's new mesh - if it is new) you only buy a licence to use it as agreed, you don't buy the copyright.  That is how the purchase is understood, and not at all as if you had bought a chair from a furniture shop.

However, I don't see that the site is doing serious harm, it's more or less an extension of the game itself just the same as paysites are.  Anyone seriously doing it to keep themselves and their family alive has a worse problem than PMBD to worry about!

I credit this site with having been about the only thing that has managed to open up a proper debate about the issue.   Now some people who could barely afford to patronise paysites but thought it was normal now realise it doesn't need to be considered normal at all.   Previously, site owners all over the Sims-playing world seemed to be in a tacit agreement to never allow it to be discussed.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #176 on: 2006 December 28, 15:54:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's what I admire about Dr. Pixel first:

He's been making great FREE stuff since sims 1

As far as I know, all his FA stuff at TSR is available elsewhere for free

He's the only creator I've noticed who actually credits non-sims sites for meshes.

Quote from: "Dr Pixel"

* Promotion of theft to kids as a way of solving a problem - that's the main one, I wouldn't have even bothered to post here if it wasn't for that.

It's not theft, everything has been paid for. Credit is fully given along with links back to the site. I'm a parent too. I think paysite owners give a very bad example to kids by doing something illegal, censoring speech, ripping off poser and other sites and providing shoddy workmanship and terrible service.

* The thought-police attitude that seems to pervade this site, where many of you think you are the authorities on what people can and can't do with their Sims mods.

Completely wrong, anyone can post their thoughts here. This is the ONLY site with unfettered discussion of the issue, with no threat of banning over their heads. Even your first few rants were met with reasonable arguments and some mocking but not flaming.

* The whole negativity thing - "Paysites must be destroyed" and all, you even have thre3ads here bashing Delphy and ModTheSims2 because they don't agree with your methods.  I can understand being against pay sites, but being against ModTheSims2?  That whole site exists to promote exactly what you claim to believe in.  Is it because they do it in a positive way that you object to?  I really don't get this part at all.

Delphy is a bit late to the party. I think you'll find that people are at least grudgingly pleased with what he's doing now in regards to paysites. Don't forget, it was on his site that the super-secret-paysite-owners forum was set up to share paypal info of suspected file-sharers. Because I'm a parent too and have certain life experiences, I can't overlook his personal failings. A secondary issue is his lack of financial transparancy on income and expenses at MTS 2.

If this site didn't exist with it's in-your-face attitude, nothing would change in the larger sims community. People like Thomas at TSR are undermining the sense of community, and pimping creators for their own financial gain.
Dr Pixel
Landlubber

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #177 on: 2006 December 28, 16:02:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

:lol:

I haven't so much as requested that my stuff here be removed, and I really don't care about getting credit for it either.

As for honesty, I suppose what you mean is since I bought the Sims2 game I can do whatever I want with it too, right?

Like post copies of it for people to download?

Or, I don't know, maybe make items for the game and then put them on a paysite?

No, honesty doesn't go over well at this site - it kinda defeats the whole purpose of it, ya know.

It might make you think about what you are doing, and that wouldn't be good would it?
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #178 on: 2006 December 28, 16:13:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see that this latest post is much different than your first, pixel.

1. FILESHARING! Not theft.
No one is encouraging children to steal here. This site, at the least, is encoraging children AND adults to THINK on their own, take all the info and form their own opinion, instead of simply follow everything they are told. YOU mght wanna try that.....

2. 'Thought Police attitude'?? That's just funny.  :lol:  
Anyone that knows even a little bit about JM knows better than that. Everyone else here is entitled to their own opinions and attitudes, you too! Have your posts been deleted or modified? No. Is this thread still open even tho you are knocking JM? Yes. Rather a novelty in the sims community, but definitly a VERY GOOD thing!

3. 'Negativity' ?? Geez, can't you recognize fun for fun? Not everyhting has to be nicey nice and happy jam covered. It's way past time for the bulk of the world to get over what I call Zig Ziggler control methods!

And Inge: I don't see the Pirate theme as admitting any pirates here think even remotely that we are 'stealing' anything. The theme simply underlines how ludicrous the whole attitude of paysites really is.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
I smell bullshit
« Reply #179 on: 2006 December 28, 16:30:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy was slammed for allowing personal information to be shared on his forum; my personal information.  Threads that were discussing his former real life umm...indiscretions were deleted.

He did, in fact, remove the forum that allowed for personal information to be shared.  And he's changed his tune re: paysites.  So, I'm fine with him now.

I personally paid for so much crap from paysites, and if I want to share it, that's my business.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: