PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 10:59:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ahoy! New guy, new idea.  (Read 14308 times)
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Re: Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
« Reply #30 on: 2008 March 19, 03:24:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are being serious: Don't be terrified.  Not all of us are scary.  Thus spake the Cute One (tm).

If you are being facetious: We make a living scaring people.  Haven't you seen Monsters Inc?  Except we are better-looking than them and we don't have magic doors.  Or do we?  We have rum and juice.

I admit I did not read the OP, but it seemed uninteresting and judging by the following posts, I did not miss much.  The idea of the commission in general does not bother me, but not if it is dependent on a video game or similar.  I would not pay anyone to write me Final Fantasy fan fiction or fan art, and I would not pay anyone to make me Sims 2 content.

If these people are talented, and some Sims 2 creators are very talented without needing the game to create works of art, they can make money selling original art instead of Sims 2 content.  I don't see why more people don't do this.  Is it because they think Simmers are stupid or something?  I'm not dumb!  Sad
euterpe
ARR!

Fresh cookies are always necessary!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 March 19, 03:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*passes the fresh cookies to Squooshy*  Don't be terrified to post!  Welcome Smiley  It's only scary the first couple of times, then it's a snap.  And you've already been posting a bit, haven't you?  Still all in one piece so far??  Grin

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 March 19, 03:42:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am scared of euterpes avi.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
strix
ARR!

Pocket Pope

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2008 March 19, 03:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No one here is scary. Well, not too scary, anyway. Wait, that wasn't right. *Does best Johnny Depp "duh, Pirates," look*.

*passes Pepsi to go with the cookies* The rum is really strong, have this instead!

"You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who screams THEIR head off will be provided for you."
   Grouch cop, "Elmo in Grouchland"
euterpe
ARR!

Fresh cookies are always necessary!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 March 19, 03:49:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am scared of euterpes avi.

Hey!  I'm the resident baker here--what else am I supposed to have for an avi?''

*stuffs a fresh cookie in amazone's mouth*

Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 March 19, 03:54:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for stuffing me, i could need some cookies.  Kiss

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2008 March 19, 04:24:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haven't you seen Monsters Inc?  Except we are better-looking than them and we don't have magic doors

Hasn't anyone else got a magic door?  Shocked  I have one - I thought we all did.  I even have a scary looking avi.

To the OP - creators often already pay for their admission - they pay for site costs.  There really is no need for a honking great corporation to horn in and attempt to control content, considering that Tom Ass doesn't play the game, and wouldn't know good ingame content from a hole in the ground.  Not to mention that this would be foolish business practice in the extreme - Tom Ass would have to wait 3 or 4 years to get any money - because no one would pay their subscription fee until they were really, really sure they could fulfill requests.  It would also cut out all the extraneous content (like mine) - I personally don't want to work for you or anyone else, and would never take a request in exchange for money.  I'll do it for free, and make a gift of it, but not for money - I'm no professional artist.

Your system is convoluted and unnecessary, as the free community shows.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
WedgewoodBlue
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 March 19, 04:28:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hec's avi is the scary one. She does after all have that bloddy axe, and she uses it so well........

I've read all of Overwatch's posts and maybe it's just me, but it seems to have a lot of contradictions. Paysites are bad, yes, they are evil. But please enlighten me, how is paying someone to create something for me, how is that any different from subscribing to a paysite? Money crosses hands=payment for content that is supposed to be freely shared.
Whether you like the EULA or not, when you clicked to install the game you agreed to bide by that EULA. While there are many of us with a grude or two against EA, this site is not "EA Must Be Destroyed", it is for the destruction of paysites.
Your grudge against EA, take it to EA, mail them every day if you want, I don't care.

As for ANY money crossing hands for Sims2 content, no matter what the excuse, it is wrong, plain and simple.

At long last TSR gets to be the bug on the windshield of life.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2008 March 19, 05:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If people won't create without money than they shouldn't be creating at all. 

You got about half of it right.  If you are wanting, I assume a specific mesh to be made there are several resource already available for that (and several creators who take advantage of them, and by advantage I mean they also pirate the meshes and then in turn charge you for them - but that is neither here nor there) not one of them is sim related and you can infact get models from them and they can infact take your money.  Legally.

However at the end of that process all you have is a mesh, because as you know if you want to mess around with putting that mesh into a .package and then only releasing said .package for the exchange of money then infact you are doing something illegal and highly frowned upon.  Regardless of the arrangement, exchanging creations for money is wrong. 

However, like you said, your money is your money.  If you request something, and someone makes it for your for free, you can send them all the cash you want in gratitude, it's a free country (depending on your country).  I don't think many people are willing to do that though ( if you are I'll gladly direct you to my paypal account) and thus the paysite was born.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 March 19, 08:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Overwatch, your idea does not work for one single reason:

The most notorious paysites (TSR, Peggy, Reflex sims - I have a special dislike for her) do it solely for the money, not for the love of the game. Sure, it is obvious that some TSR creators love the game, but the subscribing system at TSR is set up to rake in the maximum amounts of cash, and as the site is run as a business, not as a hobby, they have no incentive to change their system to support one-time fee for the commission only.

And Peggy and Marcela at Reflex are also doing it for the money, so why would they change their system? Your idea would mean less money for them, so they're not going to do it.

So, it's not feasible solution, but nice try.  Smiley

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 March 19, 11:32:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why you're trying to CATER to people who are scamming others on a daily basis to get some cash. There is no good reason at all to pay for any FAN work. Period. Trying to tell people "You DESERVE this for your hard work" is EXACTLY why we have 3 million paysites scamming now. They think they deserve the payment, and are against sharing the items because it reduces the total amount of money they get. They have no business to demand money for a creation they don't own. We have no intention in relenting and telling them "Well, you worked hard, you deserve this buck from me." when in reality they really don't deserve it at all. If they did 'deserve' it, wich they would only if they had a liscence to sell their creation, then paysites shouldn't be a problem either. Right now they are just thieves, nothing more.

Inactive
Redikolous
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 March 19, 11:53:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plus I would say that the best creators out there NEVER take requests, let alone for money.  Why?  Because they say, "Hm, this seems like a nifty idea, I would like to put this in my game.  The only ones I can think of who take requests are UDontknow, with her Harry Potter sims.  Creators creator best when they want to.

Why, hello thar!

Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2008 March 19, 14:17:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eero used to take commisions for his work from Micha. Is that who you guys are thinking about?

I have to say that the whole idea stinks. No offense. But money changing hands for sims cc is still paying for downloads, and that's wrong. Period. Sorry Charlie!

Edit for typo. Wark isn't a word, but work is.  Cheesy

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
Anyerfillag
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008 March 19, 14:27:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry if I sound completely off, I've got sinusitis and my brain feels like it could explode at any minute but...

You want someone to pay someone else to create something, and then the said creator releases it for free?! Thats called a payfile in my books, so no, big and utter fail!

PMBD - Its not a fake-ass glitter funfest where everyone is wonderful and luuuuved (Ashbashtus)
ValancySterling
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2008 March 19, 15:15:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are 100% correct. Money should never change hands. But this is by far not meant to govern everything regarding content. It's just a more community-friendly way to pacify the people that WON'T create WITHOUT money.

Or we could just tell the creators who won't create without money to go f*ck themselves and enjoy the wonderful stuff put out be free creators instead.

Shameless plug warning:  Please go read my ongoing novel, Dusk Of Innocence here.  I promise, it doesn't suck too bad!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: