PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:06:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ahoy! New guy, new idea.  (Read 14166 times)
dasha
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 19, 01:34:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me. *shrug*

I have a website. I see a file that you have and I like. I say, "Hey, Overwatch, I really like that file. Give me five dollars, and I'll take it."

It's ass backward.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 19, 01:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured that's what he was trying to say and it doesn't make sense. xD Why can't the creator just release it themselves or upload to MTS2/get a site with someone for free and have them upload it. A person can polk holes all through that plan. Overwatch maybe you should think about this more. Why not just have everything free period and take donations for your own site? It works. It's win.

A.) A creator shouldn't feel like they have to create. That sometimes makes them feel too pressured and they just want to leave.
B.) Wtf? That's just what TSR is doing except they didn't have to pay Thomas to join the site. Are you serious?

Markus
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 19, 01:34:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*bangs head against computer screen*

CatBallou
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 19, 01:36:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paying for content is wrong. Whether its a deal made for commission or deal from a cut throat. The whole idea here is to get rid of paysites/ donation sites and support FREE sites. The ones who never bat an eye as thousands of people download their work and hardly utter a Thanks. These are the sites who should benefit,  not someone out to make a buck (reguardless if they plan to share it later) I hope that makes some sort of sense. I have types 2 papers today I'm zonked.

Edit cause I am too damn slow Undecided
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 March 19, 01:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*bangs head against computer screen*

Hey, wipe that blood off.  It'll stain and you won't be able to see your p0rn later.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 March 19, 01:39:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Many thanks, Ms. A.  

What site was it that used to do that?  There was at one time a site that took requests and fulfilled the, hmm, order.  

First, I'll just download all of the free shit.  Then, if I want something really bad, I'll throw myself at the feet of some of our esteemed members/creators.  *see Calalily Camo Bedding* & *Nouk's Armywife Hair*.

Would I want it bad enough to "commission" the work?  No.  Plus, how would you know which creator to go to for requests?  Who sucks and who doesn't?  What if it doesn't work properly in your game?  When new expansions are released, is the original creator obligated to update the item or must the customer pay an additional fee to have the item updated for compatability?  What if the mesh belongs to another creator?  Do you pay a fee for the mesh and a fee for the recolor/retexture?

These are just a few questions that I came to mind in about 60 seconds.  For many reasons, it's not a plausible idea.  But, I can see what you are saying.  Nice try.

But, hey, we're glad you're here.  

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
dasha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 March 19, 01:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the problem overall is... the only people who have the right to collect or disburse any money for any Sims-related stuff is EA Games. Period. If EA wants to commission stuff from creators and add it to their stuff pack or to put on the exchange, that's their legal right.

The rest of us have no legal right to demand, require, or expect any sort of payment for a game we did not create. Anybody who proposes that money exchange hands between anyone but EA, its employees, and its consumers for game content is promoting a breach of the EULA.

There's one small difference between pay sites and sites that just ask for donations to pay for hosting costs - when a site like WickedNoukFamily says "We have a set in the works for April, if we reach the donation target, it'll go on the April aspiration page for everyone" they give that stuff to everybody - whether it's Mr. Gottcash or Ms. Nodough.

Pay sites, on the other hand, only want Mr. Gottcash to have it. They expect Ms. Nodough to cough up cash for the exact same file that Mr. Gottcash already paid for. If a site sets up a target amount and then updates when the target is reached, that's fine - because donating is voluntary, not mandatory.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2008 March 19, 01:48:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ArmyWife, I knew the site until you said something about it. Tongue

Dasha, I agree with you on that. OverWatch do you understand what we are saying? EA should be the only one to collect. If people think they deserve money to create content and give it to others they are doing it for the wrong reason. I do stuff for the game for fun and wouldn't expect people to pay for it (like they would my crap sucks) because then it wouldn't be my hobby it would be my job.

Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 March 19, 01:57:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ArmyWife, I knew the site until you said something about it. Tongue

Dasha, I agree with you on that. OverWatch do you understand what we are saying? EA should be the only one to collect. If people think they deserve money to create content and give it to others they are doing it for the wrong reason. I do stuff for the game for fun and wouldn't expect people to pay for it (like they would my crap sucks) because then it wouldn't be my hobby it would be my job.

Actually, EULA or not, it's none of EA's business considering they're not the ones creating the content, and it's not their software going into the game. At that point, they need to shut their traps; it's not their work, and I'm not listening. I've got a personal vendetta against them. They have no say in the matter, it's MAXIS and WILL WRIGHT that should have the say. But feh, life doesn't work that way. I install the product without agreeing to the EULA anway, in case the feds come knocking at my door anyway.

And honestly, I can't say enough, PAYSITES MUST BE DESTROYED!
But if they decide not to self destruct on order, they can at least think of more constructive and less restrictive ways to support their content.

When you're not paying attention, I come to collect it.
euterpe
ARR!

Fresh cookies are always necessary!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 March 19, 01:59:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm truly confused  Huh  I understand what you're saying, but you're definitely in the wrong place to try to sell this idea (pun intended  Cheesy )

I'm not going to repeat what Nii has already said very well.  IMHO (after a lot of years and money paying for garbage I ended up deleting from my game), the majority of the best creations are free.  And those who create/sell Sims creations for money when they know there are free/low cost sites available should, as my dearly departed father would say, go get a real job.

But this is by far not meant to govern everything regarding content. It's just a more community-friendly way to pacify the people that WON'T create WITHOUT money.

See above comment.  If they don't want to do it as a fun and free/low cost hobby, let 'em keep their stuff for themselves.  The rest of us don't need it that badly.

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
dasha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2008 March 19, 02:04:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whether you (or I) like it or not, EA Games owns the rights to the software - they acquired those rights legally by purchasing them. They own the software used to create custom content, they specify the terms of its use and whether you agree to the EULA or not, if tomorrow EA announced that all user-created custom content had to be taken off the Internet, those refusing to do so would have a tough legal battle on their hands.

Now, whether EAxis is right or wrong isn't really the purpose of this forum, site, etc. We all agree that pay site owners do NOT own the rights to what they're trying to pimp, and therefore should - nay, must - be destroyed.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 March 19, 02:08:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only stance EA has taken is pro file share.  The exchange, as much of a hot mess as it is, was intended for everyone to be able to share their stuff.  Also, remember the butthurt the paysites felt when meshes started to be included in lots and sims because of the Pets expansion pack?

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 March 19, 02:19:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

they acquired those rights legally by purchasing them.
All I have to say is I payed THEM for their product. I'll do whatever the hell I like with it. That disc is my property, and it always will be. They can suck a dick.
And I never received any payment to restrict my rights. So fuck them, they never asked me. Buying rights is the epitome of bureaucracy. My rights aren't for sale, and whoever is selling them doesn't have my permission.

When you're not paying attention, I come to collect it.
pickles
ARR!

Disillusioned Miscreant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 March 19, 02:47:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your argument is silly, without merit, and bores me. Roll Eyes
I am going to go move in my other two households of pirates and see if it's possible to make a brothel with the OFB expansion. I think Hecubus will run it. Or Calalily. muahahahahaha.

puzzle pirates, yarrrr (I'm on malachite)
If God wanted women to like me, He would have made me a chocolate shoe filled with money. ~Hastings Kilgore
dasha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 March 19, 02:55:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haha! A friend of mine did that. Romance sim + home business with "charge for being there" + date = amazing customer ratings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: