PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 00:30:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ahoy! New guy, new idea.  (Read 14309 times)
Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
« on: 2008 March 19, 01:11:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahoy, PMBD. It's a red sky tonight, and we all know what that means.

It's about f**king time I found this site. I've been looking since the original Sims 2 was released. I'm safe to say I've helped myself to a fair amount of the booty, and I intend to plund-- er, contribute some when I have the money.

I completely agree with your cause. Making people pay for services that are required to be free by legal contract is, well, ILLEGAL.
More on legal ways to get money for content later.

I want TSR to be SHUT DOWN. 100%. They are ridiculous. I am close friends with another artist on TSR. He liked his items being free. Eventually, he became a featured artist, and as a result, all of his contributions became pay items. He then seceded from TSR. Asking for donations is one thing, requiring donations for mass downloads is another; but charging money for items the CREATOR designates as FREE is a VIOLATION of ethics, and occasionally law, when a Creative Commons license is used.
I know you guys can't do that, and I'm not asking you to. I'm just saying, they suck scurvy.
As for the artists residing at TSR; The good ones are already on free sites, the others I could care less about. It's a f**king game, not a swap meet.

Now, here's a groovy idea for fair pay for fair content: Comissions!
Now, suppose SimmerBuyer wants SimmerCreator to make something for him. SimmerCreator would then create a price for the creation of that content, and upon completion, SimmerBuyer pays for it. This is legal. He's not paying for the content, but the WORKMANSHIP that goes into the content. In turn, SimmerBuyer could then release the item into the community, for free of course, because the content is his; the creating process has already been paid for. Now, why didn't TSR think of that? Instead of receiving money from members for content, the could extract a monthly fee from the creators, and in exchange, they get a massive community and customer base in which they can set up shop. Content is exchanged freely. Everybody wins!

Common sense is something that's very rare nowadays, but I'll be damned if it deserts me.
Also, I hope this is the right place to post. I read the faq, and I'm sharing an idea, not a question. Seems all right to me.

Yours, Overwatch.
Arr.

You idjit. Paying for content at all is bad. o.o Before you post >.< Please, gah, know what we're about. Any type of paysites must be destroyed. Your idea makes no sense. Why wouldn't the creator just give the download for free in the first place? Wth?

ETA: FAQ=WIN.
Huge sigs (like Ash said) and instantly hitting the new thread button before reading around or reading the FAQ = Phail.

Not reading the post before replying=phail. I stated I read the faq at the very bottom.
And I'm now removing my sig, It looked smaller before I posted, thanks for telling me!
« Last Edit: 2008 March 19, 01:20:06 by Overwatch » Logged

When you're not paying attention, I come to collect it.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Re: Ahoy! New guy, new idea.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 19, 01:13:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You idjit. Paying for content at all is bad. o.o Before you post >.< Please, gah, know what we're about. Any type of paysites must be destroyed. Your idea makes no sense. Why wouldn't the creator just give the download for free in the first place? Wth?

ETA: FAQ=WIN.
Huge sigs (like Ash said) and instantly hitting the new thread button before reading around or reading the FAQ = Phail.

Ash Redfern
Infamous Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 19, 01:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some advice, we really don't take too kindly to huge sig graphics here.

keirra
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 19, 01:16:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you even bother to read anything on here before you hit the new thread button?

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 19, 01:18:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nonono, you're not getting what I mean.
This isn't restricting access for content. There is no promise for content. Already, on multiple sites, there are request threads in which this commissions system is used, but without the money part. I'm only saying; rather than deny access to community content for money, why not pay the artists for their hard work? It's a tasty alternative to paysiting. The community gets the content, free, once the workmanship and time is paid for.

I'm all for the removal of paysites. They should die. I am in no way defending them. Never lump me in with them! D:

RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 19, 01:21:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, so let me get this straight. You want someone to pay someone else to work on making something that's not promised? o.o Man. Now I feel like I'm the one on drugs.

missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 19, 01:21:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sets the signature on fire*  Seriously, get rid of it.   Angry  It's gone!  Thank you.

We've talked about commissions already and the idea still sucks.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
dasha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 19, 01:22:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Instead of receiving money from members for content, the could extract a monthly fee from the creators, and in exchange, they get a massive community and customer base in which they can set up shop.

Sorry, I don't see this as any kind of solution, unless you're trying to get people to stop creating. If the fees are paid by the creators, where's the incentive to create? I work to make a hair mesh, and then I have to pay Thomass to upload it? Nah, I'll pass.
Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 19, 01:24:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, so let me get this straight. You want someone to pay someone else to work on making something that's not promised? o.o Man. Now I feel like I'm the one on drugs.
PAY UPON COMPLETION
Seriously, did you even read my post?
The content would be screenshotted etc. and sampled to the requesting user before payment is received, and the content is sent.

Instead of receiving money from members for content, the could extract a monthly fee from the creators, and in exchange, they get a massive community and customer base in which they can set up shop.

Sorry, I don't see this as any kind of solution, unless you're trying to get people to stop creating. If the fees are paid by the creators, where's the incentive to create? I work to make a hair mesh, and then I have to pay Thomass to upload it? Nah, I'll pass.
Perhaps just a one-time fee?

AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 19, 01:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the thing.  TSR DOES pay the FAs on their site.  I'm confused as to what you are exactly trying to get across.  I'm really, REALLY trying to understand.  Unfortunately, I'm left with "HUH?"  Who is going to pay someone for their "work"?  Who's funding this?  

When the tools, tutorials, etc. were made available to the entire community for free, when custom content couldn't exist or wouldn't exist without these tools, should anyone get paid for any of it?  

From a financial perspective, it makes absolutely no sense.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 19, 01:25:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, no, dasha. You don't pay Thomass to upload it you pay me to look at it and then I give it to Thomass and he pays me so he can share it in the community. Tongue
PAY UPON COMPLETION

Yes I read it and you said:
This isn't restricting access for content. There is no promise for content

What you got? Tongue So you are saying two different things. o.o I still stick by my first opinion that it doesn't make sense though. It's a phail idea.

dasha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 19, 01:29:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, why would I pay him? I made the thing, I can sit here at my computer and bwahaha at everyone because they don't have it. And then put it on mediafire or something similar if people want it - absolutely free. A creator having to pay for the privilege of letting other people use their stuff? That's like me having to pay you to let me clean your house.
Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 19, 01:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, no, dasha. You don't pay Thomass to upload it you pay me to look at it and then I give it to Thomass and he pays me so he can share it in the community. Tongue
PAY UPON COMPLETION

Yes I read it and you said:
This isn't restricting access for content. There is no promise for content

What you got?

Oh, I'm sorry. I meant the site itself isn't content hosting,and therefore not promising content. It's a collaboration place for creators/buyers to interact.

missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 19, 01:30:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think he's trying to say this:
person requests creator to make something
creator creates it
person pays for the creation
person releases it for download for free for others to use

It's a point that's been argued before but I don't see it as a better alternative at all.  It still upholds the elitism people feel when they buy pay items.  They hold it over people's heads and make them feel bad for simply not having them.

Oh, and it's supposed to be a hobby  and money should never enter the question.  How does this community get away with all this pay crap when other gaming communities spend hundreds of hours on mods but don't even ask for a dime in hosting costs?

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Overwatch
Landlubber

Pick up the can.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 19, 01:32:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, why would I pay him? I made the thing, I can sit here at my computer and bwahaha at everyone because they don't have it. And then put it on mediafire or something similar if people want it - absolutely free. A creator having to pay for the privilege of letting other people use their stuff? That's like me having to pay you to let me clean your house.

It's also a poor-content filtering system.
A) Paying the one time membership ensures at least a minor commitment from the creator, which means they're at least a little confident in their work.
B) The better work you do, the more commissions you get, and as a result, the subscription fee has paid for itself, and you begin gaining money. It's like they say, "You've got to spend money to make money."

I think he's trying to say this:
person requests creator to make something
creator creates it
person pays for the creation
person releases it for download for free for others to use

It's a point that's been argued before but I don't see it as a better alternative at all.  It still upholds the elitism people feel when they buy pay items.  They hold it over people's heads and make them feel bad for simply not having them.

Oh, and it's supposed to be a hobby  and money should never enter the question.  How does this community get away with all this pay crap when other gaming communities spend hundreds of hours on mods but don't even ask for a dime in hosting costs?

You are 100% correct. Money should never change hands. But this is by far not meant to govern everything regarding content. It's just a more community-friendly way to pacify the people that WON'T create WITHOUT money.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: