PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:18:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Yahoo webhosting changes to unlimited storage & transfer
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Yahoo webhosting changes to unlimited storage & transfer  (Read 7602 times)
TashaYarrr
ARR!

View Profile
Yahoo webhosting changes to unlimited storage & transfer
« on: 2008 February 10, 16:10:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My boyfriend mentioned this to me yesterday because we have a small Yahoo account that is affected by it:

http://ycorpblog.com/2008/02/06/introducing-all-you-can-eat-web-hosting/

Short version: $12/month, unlimited storage, unlimited data transfer, unlimited email storage, etc.

You can see the more specific details here:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/hostingpricing.php

Quote:

# Unlimited disk space, which allows you to build as many web pages as you want
# Unlimited data transfer, which allows you to support as many visitors as you want
# 1,000 business email addresses (such as jimhanks@learn2yoga.com)
# Unlimited email storage

So anyway, first thing I thought of was Sims 2 sites. Doesn't this pretty much remove 'bandwidth' as an excuse for anyone to charge subscriptions? I would imagine if you really couldn't swing the twelve bucks a month, you would have no problem raising that via donation in about ten minutes if you had worthwhile downloads.

Anyway. Not really sure if this is relevant anymore (I guess I haven't really seen the bandwidth argument made lately). Just thought it was interesting; and that there might be some people reading this who would be motivated to put up a free site or two. Smiley
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Yahoo webhosting changes to unlimited storage & tran
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 10, 16:39:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "TashaYarrr"
Anyway. Not really sure if this is relevant anymore (I guess I haven't really seen the bandwidth argument made lately). Just thought it was interesting; and that there might be some people reading this who would be motivated to put up a free site or two. Smiley

That argument doesn't fly anymore because enough people have realised it's bull (and a lot of paysite owners lied about it anyway) There's enough alternatives for people who are actually motivated to go free.

But's it's nice of you to point this out to us, thanks! Smiley

SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 10, 17:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thomass and the rest of the paysite scammers probably wax nostalgic over how naive this community used to be.
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 10, 19:44:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(I guess I haven't really seen the bandwidth argument made lately)

They gave that arguement up long ago when they were proven wrong.
Now, it's all about "respect"  :roll:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 10, 20:00:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Requip more likely it's "we're backed into a corner with this one, so now we're gonna state we were ok to charge all along"

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
jfade
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 10, 21:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sigh. Yet another hosting company throws around the words unlimited and people fail to read the fine print. Here's just a snippet of the parts of the agreement that stand out the most to me (comments in bold mine):

What is appropriate usage?

Yahoo! Web Hosting is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small, independently owned and operated businesses in the United States. It is not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or internationally based businesses. - Makes me wonder how strict they are on this. Unless it's a PAY Sims site, I'm not sure a Sims site can qualify as a business...

Yahoo! Web Hosting is also a shared web hosting service, which means a number of customers' web sites are hosted from the same server. To ensure that Yahoo! Web Hosting is reliable and available for the greatest number of users, a customer's web site usage cannot adversely affect the performance of other customers' sites. - In other words, if your site ever grows popular enough and starts getting insane amounts of traffic, sucking most of the server's resources, you're probably going to get kicked off the server pretty quick. How noticeable it is and how quickly traffic would become a problem would depend mostly on how many OTHER users are stuck on your server and how much of the server's resources they themselves use. Hosting companies today oversell like crazy.

Additionally, the purpose of Yahoo! Web Hosting is to host web sites, not store data. Using an account primarily as an online storage space for archiving electronic files is prohibited. - It'd be interesting to see if they'd complain about a large amount of zip files. I mean, if it's PART of your website, I don't see why they'd complain, but still.

So what does "unlimited" mean, really?
Disk space:

You can now create as large a site as you like (you won't face an upper limit, or "ceiling"), but we will place some constraints on how fast you can grow. In other words, you can add as much content as you want, but maybe not all at once. The vast majority of our customers' sites grow at rates well within our rules, however, and will not be impacted by this constraint. - Notice how they don't say a word about what the rules that limit how fast you can grow actually ARE. Since they're just launching this, they're probably going to test the waters and end up setting a stupidly low limit with a stupidly low growth rate. Most people who buy hosting space barely use it and just stick on either some blogging software that doesn't use much by way of files (mostly DB space) or a few, simple, small HTML files, thus seriously skewing any data they may gather from the initial people who sign up.

In general, all hosting companies are doing this now: Unlimited this, unlimited that, but when it comes right down to it, if your site grows popular enough and starts eating a lot of server resources, the hosting company is going to notice, and at that point you either pony up the dough for the next "tier" or get kicked off.

Granted, most Sims fansites will never have this problem, but it's something you have to consider. Obviously, MATY/PMBD, MTS2, and yes, even TSR would not be able to be hosted by this, and depending on how the rules get set up as it goes on, even most moderately trafficked sites would probably violate something in the fine print.

Additionally, I'm extremely leery of companies that don't explicitly spell out EXACTLY WHAT THE RULES ARE because that makes it all the harder to ensure you don't violate them. The current company I'm hosted at has many similar rules about resource usage, etc, but at least they make it completely clear what I can and can't do, and so far I've done a nice job of keeping within their boundaries.

Meh. Anyhow, after all that rambling, my conclusion on this is: no thanks, Yahoo!, I'll pass. Spell out your rules and stop this secrecy stupidity, and then maybe we'll talk, IF I like your rules.
TashaYarrr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 10, 22:53:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured there was some fine print, but most sims2 files seem so small compared to the kind of stuff people are typically trying to share these days.

Definitely wasn't thinking something as big as, say, MTS2 would be able to pull it off with this offer. But there's always a catch, I guess. For example, I technically have 'unlimited' cable internet connectivity through Time Warner (well, for now), but they always reserve the right to come down on people who are downloading 'excessively'.

I dunno. Not emotionally invested either way. Smiley
Frank
ARR!

Happy Pelican!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 11, 02:50:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, for what its worth,Tasha, thanks for the heads up. I've been "hosting/running a non sims 2 project online more or less using Foldershare from Microsoft last couple years, and I've had several requests to move the whole project online for real, rather than use FS servers as a bi-way. I've also been messing with an eval copy of Microsoft's Windows Home Server, which does show promise at developing your own site and serving files as well.

Confuscious say man with dyslexia that drinks gets fitshaced.....
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
Re: Yahoo webhosting changes to unlimited storage & transfer
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 19, 15:41:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The unlimited BS makes me think of lunarpages.  If you can, avoid these types of deals with the devil.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Roxelane
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 06, 19:59:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since 2007 EA possesses 15 % portions of Yahoo Groups

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 06, 23:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's as good a reason as any to hate Yahoo, to my mind. Blow it up... Don't mind me, meds. Lots and lots of meds. Ibuprofen, but lots and lots.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Frank
ARR!

Happy Pelican!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 12, 01:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Brings in defib machine and jolts thread back to life*

Hey, me and redlove know about this, I dunno if others do. Free, ad-supported 50 GB online storage accounts at Adrive.

Here's the link:  http://www.adrive.com/

Confuscious say man with dyslexia that drinks gets fitshaced.....
gamerxgirl
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 06, 17:38:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The unlimited BS makes me think of lunarpages.  If you can, avoid these types of deals with the devil.

*nods* Don't fall for the unlimited/unmetered crap! I signed up at hosts before who used that terminology to lure people in, there's no such thing!

*Brings in defib machine and jolts thread back to life*

Hey, me and redlove know about this, I dunno if others do. Free, ad-supported 50 GB online storage accounts at Adrive.

Here's the link:  http://www.adrive.com/

Brontix...this is related to WEB HOSTING not file storage. Two totally different things.

free sims 2 sites hosting 25gb webspace/100gb bandwidth
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 06, 20:02:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

webhosting stores files hun, and as the title of the thread is about webhosting there's nothing wrong with him posting that link in this thread.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
gamerxgirl
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 16, 21:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

webhosting stores files hun, and as the title of the thread is about webhosting there's nothing wrong with him posting that link in this thread.

Yes I understand, but some hosts will terminate your account even if they do offer so called 'unlimited' hosting if you store non-web files and use your hosting account for storing your computer's backup files for instance.

Yahoo! even sets this rule on their terms of usage, even my own hosting company.
9.6 Yahoo! Web Hosting Function
...Additionally, the purpose of Yahoo! Web Hosting is to host web sites, not store data. Using an account primarily as an online storage space for archiving electronic files is prohibited. You further agree that if, at Yahoo!'s sole discretion, You are deemed to have violated this section, Yahoo! may suspend or terminate Your account without notice to You and with no liability to Yahoo!.
« Last Edit: 2008 April 16, 21:43:39 by gamerxgirl » Logged

free sims 2 sites hosting 25gb webspace/100gb bandwidth
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: