PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 13:18:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Alice Fashion -- Dead/News
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Alice Fashion -- Dead/News  (Read 33051 times)
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Alice Fashion -- Dead/News
« Reply #75 on: 2008 February 10, 12:25:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
my sister teaches first grade, and it's a crime to know how many parents do NOT participate in their kids' educations.

Tell me about it. I taught second grade for a couple of weeks as an intern, it's sickening what these parents expect of teachers. One mother came to complain (loudly, in front of 26 young children) because I gave her kid one of my sandwiches. The reason she was so steamed was that they were vegetarians and the sandwich I gave her daughter had some meat on it.
She conveniently forgot all about the fact that she hasn't packed her 13-year-old a lunchbox in ages, because she has yoga classes or somesuch in the mornings.

Seriously, I'm not going to let a kid starve because you're to lazy to give her food. Ugh. These people make Miss Teacherninja angry.

There are a lot of parents who are involved with the kids' education and help the school out, but they usually expect applause for it and are very demanding as a result.

AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2008 February 10, 12:55:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cannot stand parents like that.  That is why when we were relocated by the Army and I was interviewing for jobs, I was very clear about only working 4 days a week so that I could volunteer at the school on Fridays.  Being able to help kids that really need it with literacy has been so fulfilling.  Hec and I were talking about this the other day.  I stay in contact with my kids teachers by email frequently.  Last year when my son misbehaved and wouldn't settle down, I took a week off and sat in class with him in 5th grade.  Sufficiently embarrassed, he decided that he would do things the way he was supposed to and quit being a shithead.

Also, 20/20 did an educational special about 2 years ago on Pentagon schools (these are schools located on military posts).  Students that attend Pentagon schools are required to have one of the parents volunteer/participate 2 school days a year, one each semester.  Because of the parental involvement, a study showed that no matter ethnic or financial station, that all students excelled and actually placed in the 90% nationally.

Anyone who thinks it is solely the responsibility of the teacher and the school to provide the education for their child is an idiot.  Parents and teachers should partner together to help support one another.  Even if you can't volunteer your time in the classroom, as I couldn't for many years, I still did projects at home like putting together booklets, cutting things out, typing up different study guides, etc.  My kids will roll their eyes, but the one thing I have told them that no one can ever take away from you is your education.  

My husband is also very involved and participates in the special night curriculum classes that they will provide to help kids excel.  He became very committed to supporting education even more so after returning from Afghanistan.  Seeing children who had never been to school and wanted so badly to learn was heartbreaking.  The first letter he sent home was asking me to ship colors, pencils and paper for these kids.  They didn't ask for candy and such, they wanted things to write with, books, etc.  So we helped provide that to as many as we could.  I even got the community involved and we sent 1800 backpacks filled with general school supplies from the elementary school our kids attended.  

To not support those educators who do so much, for so little money.  Who now take their school work home with them and have additional responsibilities placed on them by the school boards and the parents is ridiculous.

*ramble is over*  :lol:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2008 February 10, 13:23:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

armywife, you and your husband sound like the kind of parents this world deperately needs right now. Mucho kudos to both of you, it sounds like you're raising wonderful kids.

You mentioning the children in Afghanistan reminded me of Room to Read. It's a wonderful, inspiring initiative, so in case someone is interested: http://www.leavingmicrosoftbook.com/roomtoread.html

redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2008 February 10, 19:21:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It goes both ways though. Good teachers welcome parent involvement, poor teachers fear it. It is a pity that people who should have the same goals in mind don't always work well together. It's made worse if you have poor administrators. As for egos, that's stupid really. A small determined group can make a huge difference, the lower under the radar, the greater your effect.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 2008 February 10, 21:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've met a lot of teachers in training that stated that they wanted to be a teacher because of the tons of vacation they get. That stupid, stupid idea just won't go away. I can just see them becoming the uninvolved, 9-to-5-and-then-fuck-off teachers who don't give a damn about the education of the children in their care. There's bad apples on both sides. If you're not in it for the kids, you shouldn't be in it at all.

Pah, this subject gets me all riled up. Children are the future and such. Anyone messes with them, they mess with me.

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2008 February 10, 21:33:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Devilfish"
Children are the future and such. Anyone messes with them, they mess with me.

So if I'm pissed at you, I should punch my kids in the face?

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2008 February 10, 21:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
Quote from: "Devilfish"
Children are the future and such. Anyone messes with them, they mess with me.

So if I'm pissed at you, I should punch my kids in the face?

Huh, and here I am wondering why I keep getting nosebleeds and bruises for no apparant reason.

faraude
Landlubber

View Profile
Re: Alice Fashion -- Dead/News
« Reply #82 on: 2008 February 12, 17:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just one thing to first topic (now it looks like offtopic, heh) - Alice is already uploading the things back (right NOW!) - she started in morning (it was morning for me  Smiley) and now there are at least little girls. But everytime I went to check it again, there's something new... So no graveyard is (I hope) needed ever again.  Cheesy
ws-jessica
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2008 February 12, 20:41:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes i just came back here to let you guys know that her hubby changed it to blog format to make it easier for her to update so once they get everything put back on there, she may actually be updating when she has time
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: 2008 February 12, 21:13:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that's nice. Is she gonna be free now?

euterpe
ARR!

Fresh cookies are always necessary!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2008 February 12, 21:41:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Sims Free Downloads and AliceFashion Donation Sets will be back soon."

Apparently not.

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
alicefashion
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2008 February 13, 10:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello all !

It's Alice's boyfriend. Just few words to confirm that AliceFashion is back. I was sad when Alice said me to stop the website, so I made a new version of the website (blog) and I'll bring you back all the entire free collection of skins. So yes, still free.

And a correction for old posts on this board, AliceFashion isn't a paysite. You have hundreds of free skins and some Donation Sets. Money is for the hosting of the website, not for buying a yacht  Wink

I'll try to add some skins each day, so check the website or subscribe to RSS to stay informed about new skins to download

Romain
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2008 February 13, 10:18:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sigh. Hosting? Gimme a break.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 2008 February 13, 10:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: Hecubus
my sister teaches first grade, and it's a crime to know how many parents do NOT participate in their kids' educations.

Tell me about it. I taught second grade for a couple of weeks as an intern, it's sickening what these parents expect of teachers. One mother came to complain (loudly, in front of 26 young children) because I gave her kid one of my sandwiches. The reason she was so steamed was that they were vegetarians and the sandwich I gave her daughter had some meat on it.
She conveniently forgot all about the fact that she hasn't packed her 13-year-old a lunchbox in ages, because she has yoga classes or somesuch in the mornings.

Seriously, I'm not going to let a kid starve because you're to lazy to give her food. Ugh. These people make Miss Teacherninja angry.

There are a lot of parents who are involved with the kids' education and help the school out, but they usually expect applause for it and are very demanding as a result.

I have questions!!

OK. A thirteen-year-old was in second grade? Tell me this was a typo, or that you don't teach second graders anymore. Getting left behind in first grade 6-7 times is just wrong, yo!

A thirteen-year-old can't make her own lunches? I'll give her a pass if Mum is too lazy to buy groceries, but if there is food in the house, a child that age should know how to scavenge for and prepare meals by then. Amirite? Smiley

A thirteen-year-old doesn't "know" she is a vegetarian? (Sounds like "they" aren't veg, only Dumb Mum is!  Cheesy)

Gah, my mom taught kids that age. Yikes. I don't envy you. However, the rewards for getting them to learn are probably worth the hassles most of the time.

@Devilfish: Wait until those teachers learn about re-certifications, summer school, continuing ed, required business conferences, pre-planning, and much more.

@Romain: Selling anything for any reason is against EA's EULA that you agree to when installing the games. The "bandwidth loophole" ended with Sims 1. Free hosting is available. If the money is truly for hosting, then it would behoove you to stop enabling someone to break the law and piss off most of the Simming community. Help her go free, talk to the folks here who want to help creators create and NOT break the law or look weaselly to fellow Simmers.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 13, 10:25:51 by Lorelei » Logged

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2008 February 13, 10:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Romain, thank you for taking the time to come over here to tell us about the site.

I too am glad that Alicefashions is back, Alice made beautiful skins.

However, we consider any site that has any donation sets a paysite, even if there is just one or two donations sets, so in that sense, Alicefashions is a paysite.

On this site there are several creators that offer all their creations for free and survive on donations. If you feel that you cannot afford the hosting without donation sets, you should consider finding a cheaper host, or if that is not possible, several people here offer free hosting to sites that cannot afford them, the only condition being that everything on the site is free.

For example, Moneybetterspent offers options and suggestions to site owners on how to become a free site.

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: