PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 04:45:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  They did it again
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: They did it again  (Read 34529 times)
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #45 on: 2007 November 22, 12:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No mate, I just think you're using a reference that doesn't fit with the situation, and is way over the top... I'm very rarely short tempered and cross but seeing someone compare the mass murder of six million people to a software company doing the wrong thing with a game is too much.

And that doesn't mean EA isn't doing the wrong thing, they are.. but this isn't life threatening. And for you to go on about people being intollerant of other's views when you started by calling me apathetic when I don't consider it as high on my priorities as you do, is to say the least hypocrytical.

And again.. I can understand how people feel.. I can understand why people are upset because EA at the very least needed to tell people they were changing copy protection BEFORE they did this so they could make an educated decision.

But now it's here we can all individually decide to either keep the software or get rid of it, and either choice is valid depending on what suits the individual.

ps, and if you're going to call me an age-based insult, stick with Grandma, I'm a girl..

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
They did it again
« Reply #46 on: 2007 November 22, 16:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look, I have to agree with Angha Tyl here - SecuRom has not been hauled in front of the Nuremberg trials, and there are no reports I can find on the internets about SecuRom gassing six million Jews.

It's bad - but not that level of bad.   Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Electricstatic
ARR!

View Profile WWW
They did it again
« Reply #47 on: 2007 November 22, 17:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, I can't believe you are seriously comparing EA to Nazi Germany.

Age doesn't even have anything to do with it. I'm 18 and I seriously cannot fathom comparing a SOFTWARE COMPANY to what the Nazis did to the Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, elderly, anyone who wasn't seen as a part of the "superior race" ...

*calms down*

I agree with Angha Tyl and Calalily.
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #48 on: 2007 November 22, 21:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't care who ya try to compare EA to, I just know they fucked with my personal computer and they had no right to do that.

They can kiss my ass. I'm getting all future Sims ep's the "pirate" way.  :lol: And I never would have considered that before now.  :evil:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #49 on: 2007 November 22, 21:27:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Requip, I agree they had no right to do it, it was dishonest not to let people know they were using that copy protection, especially considering the Sony lawsuit and it's implications..

Electricstatic, I'd like to apologise to you hun.. I was not meaning to insult anyone under 30. I should have been accusing freoninferno of a lack of commonsense and maturity instead.

Requip
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #50 on: 2007 November 22, 21:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's part of what pisses me off..........for a couple weeks after I installed and played BV, no problems - I didn't notice anything. Then I try to go add some of my downloads I have on CD to the game and  :shock: the CD's are showing empty, can't read 'em. Then I discover I can't read any of my outside storage devices.  :evil: Then my anti-virus program won't update.  :shock:

Only a few days later did I discover this was a SecuROM side-effect, had no clue what SecuROM was.  :?

In other words, if I hadn't found out and taken steps to remove it? I would have just taken the PC in for a checkup and paid whatever to fix it. WITHOUT knowing! That pisses me off.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
naceygirl
ARR!

Pirate Petrillo on the High Seas!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #51 on: 2007 November 23, 02:14:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My DVD player won't burn DVDs.  Only CDs.   I have everything up until Seasons.  Can't be SecuROM, can it?

Awesims: My Sims 2 blog with stories, downloads and CC recommendations.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
They did it again
« Reply #52 on: 2007 November 23, 02:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SecuROM was shipped with Celebrations (remember the not recognizing the CD complaints on the official BBs?) and with Teen Stuff and H&M stuff. If you have them, you have SecuROM.

On another tack, this is what we were promised with the Sims 2. Nothing like what we got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEyh5rQYCgM#

Still watching you guys
pixelated
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #53 on: 2007 November 23, 03:02:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hah. Yet another reason for me to YARR everything they make.

Thanks for killing off my bad conscience, EA! <3
Scurvy Wench
ARR!

Now with POTO!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #54 on: 2007 November 23, 04:07:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can haz link to yarr!-ed sims stuff?

Playing in the GIMP is one of my favorite things. - chemestrycourtney
I did it for the Bacon - Hecubus
Thank you for that visual abortion - Paloma
Taliesin
Landlubber

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #55 on: 2007 November 23, 10:17:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With EA messing about with Securom it makes me wonder wich big moderators we have lost? i mean who stopped working with the games because of it? who will never return with the sims3? Quaxi? Numenor? so much we could lose .. sigh.
we lost many good content makers with the update from the sims1 to the sims2 for whatever reasons (family life, jobs ect)
but with all the changes over time with the sims2' "Maxis going to EA" screwing the game as is and our biggest maxoid players dissapering to securom issues,
With players saying they will never return to buying the products who out of the silent people will not bother with the newer game coming?

Sad to think about especialy when EA seems to not care about the fans but more about the fast cash.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #56 on: 2007 November 23, 12:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New post from Maxoid Sam on the Securerom issue.. I'd post it in the Maxoid Sam thread, but I think that'd qualify as a Necromantic thread by now.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=578780c39336bd8f93c41a9b607b290a&directoryID=211&startRow=1&openItemID=item.211,root.1,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23

The one issue I DO get is the CD not recognising it has a legitimate game disk in there.. I'm almost tempted to put a report in so they know there's more than 141 people having issues with it.. It just hasn't been anything that's bothered me enough to be motivated to say anything about it.

SmilingSweetly
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #57 on: 2007 November 23, 12:55:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Angha Tyl"
New post from Maxoid Sam on the Securerom issue.. I'd post it in the Maxoid Sam thread, but I think that'd qualify as a Necromantic thread by now.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=578780c39336bd8f93c41a9b607b290a&directoryID=211&startRow=1&openItemID=item.211,root.1,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23

The one issue I DO get is the CD not recognising it has a legitimate game disk in there.. I'm almost tempted to put a report in so they know there's more than 141 people having issues with it.. It just hasn't been anything that's bothered me enough to be motivated to say anything about it.

After reading Maxiod Sam's post I must say, much of what he said makes sense. The majority of posts people are making regarding the SecuRom problems (at least those that I have read) contain nothing more than rants and nonsense. What he is saying is - they need real hardcore "facts." Tell the company exactly what is wrong with your computer and how SecuRom caused those problems.

He (and other EA rep posters) have been saying this same thing in recent posts. They have given the numbers of people complaining vs the number of games sold and frankly, from a business point of view, they don't add up. As he pointed out, "Now even ONE complaint is a bad thing. 141 is definitely too many, regardless of why they're calling." More people should be following the proper channels and filing REAL complaints and not just ranting and raving on the forums.

Now I am NOT saying that what EA did was right or how they have handled this fiasco in the past was right. Rather, people who have had their computers borked by SecuRom should contact the company directly and tell them "this is exactly what is wrong with my computer and this is how SecuRom directly affected it." If they are looking for numbers, then let them have their numbers rather than ranting and raving on forums. Take a few minutes to go through the proper channels (whatever they may be) and file your complaint.

My Mom used to tell me - If you are unhappy with something you have two choices - either reject it or accept it. If you choose to reject it, then take what steps you must to correct/fix it. If you choose to accept it, then stop bitching about it.

meh ... just my 2 cents  :wink:

Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #58 on: 2007 November 23, 14:04:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think apart from anything else, if there's any chance to change this mess, this would be round about it. If they decide it's all smoke and nonsense and don't decide to change the copy protection then we're stuck with it forever more if we want to keep playing Sims..

Having said that, I'm not 100 percent sure it will make a difference but if someone has had bad issues like you guys with your virus scan problems, it's worth a try..

SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
They did it again
« Reply #59 on: 2007 November 23, 14:45:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, maybe everyone should get over EA's attempt to monitor and control programming that has nothing to do with Sims2 and that someone "MIGHT" use to pirate a copy of their game. Because, after all,  EA has been soooo upfront with everyone in the past (their stand on paysites, for instance) that we would all be remiss if we put our personal rights ahead of their shareholder profits. And hey, while we're at it, maybe we should allow them random in home searches as well.  Just to make sure that nobody got past securom and "MIGHT" be holding... (the horror)...a bootleg copy of the Sims2.

As I see it, whether you choose to deal with it or not, the issues surrounding securom run far deeper than just a stupid game. And I believe (but could be wrong) that that was the point that freoinferno was trying to make, that we're on slippery ground and given an inch,  EA and other out of control, selfish, corporations, WILL take much more from us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: