PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 11:18:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Noanikko closes and blames wickednoukfamily
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Noanikko closes and blames wickednoukfamily  (Read 44299 times)
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Noanikko closes and blames wickednoukfamily
« Reply #120 on: 2008 January 19, 03:53:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

liegenschonheit,

Your theme looks fabulous. It's coming right along. Good job. I did manage to download the downloads counter plugin, now my challenge is getting it to work. I hope to get it active by Sunday.  :lol:

Thanks for the kind words, SamanthaS. And thanks for the cheat sheet! I'm gonna get geekified in spite of myself.

Still watching you guys
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2008 January 19, 07:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks sparkle Smiley

I think I have the theme all sorted now, and I've already become a plug in junkie! I even skinned the login screen, and I'm the only one who will ever see it. Now comes the fun part, re-uploading everything into new categories...

Still, this whole thing has been remarkably easy. I've spent most of my time fussing with the css style sheet, but really, it's a very easy way to put together a sims site. And I very much look forward to being able to update without having to manually add code to a dozen different pages.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2008 January 19, 07:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went through that too.. it's good to start with html and stuff, but it gets to a point when you've got so much volume that it takes up too much time to do it the hard way...

Are you using a CMS? It's really nice.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
ws-jessica
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: 2008 January 19, 10:37:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just a note to you guys thinking of using wordpress....the more plugins/scripts you use, the longer the pages take to load and the more cpu resources you use up so make sure you keep it as light as possible, and if you're limited on bandwidth, get a plugin that can help you monitor that.
Wordpress is better about cpu resources than phpbb or the like though.
I dont really have much experience with wordpress, but I read a bit when nouk was thinking of switching over to it to find out about how much it uses up.
SamanthaS
ARR!

Official #2 stalker of Ry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: 2008 January 19, 12:50:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're really worried about CPU usage you could install a plugin like WP-Cache.

I've never had an issue with CPU usage myself (27 plugins installed, 20 currently set to "active") but I'm going to install this plugin anyway.*

Love the new theme, liegenschonheit.  Cheesy

*Actually, strike that, I think I found a better one.

Free Sims 2 Downloads, no waiting! | Free Sims Finds | Seriously, your post is straining my wtf organ. -Neriana
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2008 January 19, 17:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fun stuff is:

- all your downloads will stay on a permanent post, wich can be linked to and will not change. Permalinks rule! (unless you delete or change it yourself)
- You can invite creators over, and give them different levels of priveledges. They can write their posts, upload their stuff themselves, and all you need to do is approve it, or if you know them better, they can just update themselves without doing damage to your site.
- plugins will make your website work like a cms
- you can tweak it to do allmost anything, and you can reduce cpu and bandidth usage with several plugins.
- it even has a few plugins that add a forum into the theme

It's just very nice Smiley

Inactive
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2008 January 19, 19:05:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I've got about five plugins active so far, and since I'm not going to be using it for a lot of blogging or anything, I am fairly confident I won't keep adding them once I get things working how I want them.

I've actually looked at more than one CMS before-- Mambo, Joomla and the like-- and never really felt like they were right for what I wanted to do. I also didn't want a site that visually looked "blogish". I poked around at Nouk's site a bit, and was impressed with how Wordpress looked and worked. Once I played around with the theme, I'm even more pleased I decided to give it a shot. Now here's to hoping I don't bork it all to hell!

And thanks Samantha! I spent all of yesterday poking around in the bowels of CSS playing "whats this do?". I think it worked out okay Smiley

i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 2008 January 20, 21:12:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the thing i love most is being able to edit my html/css right there on the site, without having to use an editor and go back and re-upload and all that bullshit.

if anyone is using K2, here is the code for removing the comments (any mention of them, not just to say that comments are off.) it's as simple as commenting out the code that calls the comments:

Code:

<!-- <?php /* Comments */ comments_popup_link&#40;'0&nbsp;<span>'.__&#40;'Comments','k2_domain'&#41;.'</span>', '1&nbsp;<span>'.__&#40;'Comment','k2_domain'&#41;.'</span>', '%&nbsp;<span>'.__&#40;'Comments','k2_domain'&#41;.'</span>', 'commentslink', '<span class="commentslink">'.__&#40;'Closed','k2_domain'&#41;.'</span>'&#41;; ?>-->

it's about 2/3rds down the page "theloop.php"

(i know commenting out sometimes makes for sloppy code, but i'd rather comment something out and be able to bring it back if i want, than deleting it and being fucked later, haha)

~(.., )~

Free Sims 2 recolours at awesims.sixty-ten.net  |  sixty-ten.net
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 2008 January 20, 21:55:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can pry my style.css out of my cold, dead hands.

Cool

(I like my site and have no compulsion to change just because you think wordpress is cooler or something.)

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2008 January 20, 22:36:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hec, I don't think anyone is trying to force you to switch Tongue

A plain HTML site was fine for me for a long time, but now I'm totally lazy and want something that's easy to use. If I wasn't doing a lot of updating with downloads and all that crap, I probably wouldn't have switched either. Wordpress has its uses, but on a site that has fairly static information or doesn't need a lot of updates, then why bother?

SamanthaS
ARR!

Official #2 stalker of Ry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2008 January 20, 23:17:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
You can pry my style.css out of my cold, dead hands.

Cool

(I like my site and have no compulsion to change just because you think wordpress is cooler or something.)

I'm not saying "OHMGYGOD WORDPRESS IS THE SHIT YOU LOSERS!!!!ELEVENTY" like, at all.

For me, my site is a blog first and the Sims 2 related stuff second. I'm not a mesher or even a recolorerer, really. I recolored a few Maxis paintings with Photo Studio for a Bewitched themed house, someone on S2C asked me about them so I threw them all up together on my blog (after first trying out Googlepages and ohmygod I hate Googlepages).

To each his own, is what I'm longwindedly saying.

Free Sims 2 Downloads, no waiting! | Free Sims Finds | Seriously, your post is straining my wtf organ. -Neriana
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2008 January 21, 03:29:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone have a decent collapsible category plugin? I've got one, but I don't think I really like it. I've seen prettier ones, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: 2008 January 21, 07:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with Hec - I'm not changing.  Cheesy But it does look nice.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 2008 January 21, 14:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys know I was making a joke, right? I didn't feel like you were pushing me...I was just sayin' I couldn't imagine going to Wordpress right now, as it took me ages to FIND the template I use, and I do find that style sheets are easy to use.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: 2008 January 21, 14:44:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew it was a joke - I don't think they're talking about the benefits of wordpress to oppress us.  Cheesy I just wanted to put my two bits in.  Tongue

My html and css by hand is hard, but I have it just as I want it at the moment. I think it's gorgeous and exactly me, so I'm willing to do all the extra work to get it done.  Cheesy Sometimes I dread it, but the finished product gives me satisfaction to see it done.  

In deference to others I put a site map up so that those confused could use it if they need to make sure they haven't missed any pages. I did that when I realised I have 30+ pages of html, and while I might know them like the back of my hand, maybe no one else does.  :lol:

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: