PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 08:32:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  "donations"
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "donations"  (Read 13804 times)
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 30, 07:26:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "FreakyBooty"
Does anyone remember that (tv) movie with Tom Hanks, from way back, where he was a college student who got so into D&D that he kinda lost it?  It was supposedly based on a true story.  Anyway, a little while before the movie came out, and I was a young'un (yeah, so I'm old) my father had bought me D&D, he thought I'd like it.  Not even two weeks later, the story hit the papers, and my dad promptly took the game, and threw it away.  Was afraid I'd lose it.
He was an atheist, after a few years of seminary school in his youth.

I was somehow spared the D&D thing, but have felt the fallout of it. The "True Believers" claim it is evil and do not want anyone to even know about it.
I don't care either way, it's just a friggen game. If some people take it to extremes, then that says something about them, not the game.
As far as the "atheist" issue, anyone who is a believer in god OR an atheist is acting on faith. The lack of evidence precludes making an informed choice. I shall remain agnostic until the evidence presents itself.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
toomanyguppys
Landlubber

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #16 on: 2006 November 30, 07:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played an online rpg (Dragonrealms) for years and I'm no more insane than I was before I played it.  My little brother, who is 20 years younger than I am, played it from the time he was 12 or so, and still reopens his account to play from time to time.  DR is a totally text-based game, and can move pretty fast at times, so he became a deadly-fast typist.  That's about the only lasting effect it seems to have had on him.

I followed that 'chick tract' link and read the thing.  How can these people not realize how stupid they appear?  (Answering my own question--because they ARE as stupid as they appear, I guess.)  When I read things like that it becomes easy to believe that they are purposely and specifically trying to lure in  idiots while repelling anyone with any sense at all...and I guess there'd be a good reason for that, too.

on't play leapfrog with unicorns
FreakyBooty
ARR!

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #17 on: 2006 November 30, 07:52:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
As far as the "atheist" issue, anyone who is a believer in god OR an atheist is acting on faith. The lack of evidence precludes making an informed choice. I shall remain agnostic until the evidence presents itself.

I just mentioned the atheist bit to show the reason he didn't want me playing the game had nothing to do with any Catholic or Christian bent.  It was moreso that he apparently thought I was weak of mind, I don't know, but it pissed me off mightily at the time.  Still does, actually.
I'm sure he had some sort of faith, just not to any organized, or unorganized, religion.  I'd much prefer that, than some way overbearing Christian crap, like this Chick Tract.

Do what I do, assume everyone at TSR is a cunt. Then, you can only be pleasantly surprised if they exhibit non-cunty behaviour.  -- Capucine
I is LadyGrainne, and I is a thug.  Can I has a cookie?
lovebear
Landlubber

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #18 on: 2006 November 30, 08:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love D&D!!!  

I read this one thing where this one pagan group was talking about how accurate the spell rituals were and how casting D&D spells was bad because you may accidentally summon something by mistake.  The same text (with the pagan part taken out) was used by a christian group to show it was leading kids to satan.

And you know what?  It's all true.  I mean I envoke dark froces when I chant "I'm gonna cast magic missile!" and I plan to kill myself because my character died and we are one.

And so this has to do with "donations", we had to pay a "mandatory donation" to go to prom in highschool.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #19 on: 2006 November 30, 10:54:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "lovebear"
And you know what?  It's all true.  I mean I envoke dark froces when I chant "I'm gonna cast magic missile!" and I plan to kill myself because my character died and we are one.

One morning I wake up late, and wasn't able to find my left shoe... but I thought: "Wait, haven't I the locate spell??"; sadly, I'm not a so good witch Cheesy. It's the same thing, I imagine, of when I am stuck in a traffic jam and my istinct suggests me to search for the "3" key, to raise time speed...

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #20 on: 2006 November 30, 17:39:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vampire: The Masquerade doesn't count, because it doesn't register with the scary tract-writing fanatics. It's too mod-ern.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #21 on: 2006 November 30, 17:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By the time your kids are playing Vampire, it is way, waaay too late to worry about saving their souls.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
"donations"
« Reply #22 on: 2006 November 30, 17:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gotta love them Malkavians... Cool  

I guess I'm un-redeemable then  :lol:

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #23 on: 2006 November 30, 18:00:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I were a VTM Vampire, I'd probably be a Malkavian Pyromaniac, setting things on fire and laughing maniacally. Pyromania is apparently a very crazy habit for a VTM vampire, and would probably keep them away from me just like it keeps people away from me in real life.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
"donations"
« Reply #24 on: 2006 November 30, 18:31:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, most VTM vamps hate fire like the bubonic plague... :lol:

I would be a Tzimisce, Vicissitude sounds like a cool power to have. Then I could play Sims with real people... :twisted:

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #25 on: 2006 November 30, 18:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do adore Malkavians...

I'm more likely to be a Toreador though, with my accursed sense of aesthetics...I can find beauty in almost everything, it's dreadful...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Keijra
ARR!

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #26 on: 2006 December 01, 00:09:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bwahahahahaha!!

That track is hilarious! I actually snorted Diet Coke out my nose. I don't recommend that. It hurts.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #27 on: 2006 December 01, 00:24:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That'll be the aspartame. IT BURRRRNS.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Keijra
ARR!

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #28 on: 2006 December 01, 00:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh is that what was burning?

I was sure it was SAAAAAAAATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That site made my day. I passed it onto all my friends.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
"donations"
« Reply #29 on: 2006 December 01, 01:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"
That'll be the aspartame. IT BURRRRNS.

Actually, it's the carbonization. It reacts with your snot to form a weak acid, and that's why it burns.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: