PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 09:57:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  CC Commission
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CC Commission  (Read 9350 times)
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
CC Commission
« Reply #30 on: 2007 October 23, 20:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "dr.philthy"
Though I agree with Sherry and Kariminger that obviously EA's ownership of .packages supercedes any contract between other parties, there is just zero way to get said files.
I'm not sure if I would take a cc commision or not, but if I did and the person did not want me to distribute the files I wouldn't.

LOL that is why I won't be offered up any commission any time soon.  As soon as the mesh is in the .package I would share it.  They only way they would be able to keep that baby exclusive is if they didn't want me to .package it for them and if they are going to go that route then I would suggest getting a done by a more talented 3D modelist (word?) who would undoubtedly do a better, faster and cheaper job.  

I think it's hard to say though there is no possible way to profit from commissions that would be legal.  Buying selling models and textures are all legal.  Models and textures are the hardest and most time consuming part of making an object.  As a creator you own that work and can charge for it.  If I were to make a whole bunch of vacation themed models I could charge for the models.  Infact there are plenty of sites dedicated to making low poly tanks and guns that people buy for other video games.  That is why I have always said to creators who complain about the time and efforts models take to just sell the freaking models if they are so concerned.  Don't put it in the .package and make sure your agreement with the buyer very clearly excludes any distribution of the model.

Which OT a bit is actually very funny because alot of these model that people pay for (or steal) are only supposed to be used for renderings or the likes.  They clearly are not supposed to be distributed or profited from as models.  If you are distributing a .package file, you are also distributing a model (it takes .2 seconds to extract), and if you don't have permission then congrats, you are breaking more contracts than EA's.  

I personally don't see any problem with someone who was dying to have a certain bed or sofa ect. in the game ask and pay for someone to make them that model.  I don't see that problem with after someone made them that model and payment was complete that they or said creator put that model and it's textures into a .package file.  Hell before I could create I would have considered doing that myself.   Personally I think that is better than going out and just purchasing a model because you know the creator of the model is giving you permission to add it to a .package and therefore agrees to EA's terms of use.  So long as both parties are aware that the .package can not be charged for and if someone else gets ahold of it, it's fair game, then I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #31 on: 2007 October 23, 22:01:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
Quote from: "dr.philthy"
Though I agree with Sherry and Kariminger that obviously EA's ownership of .packages supercedes any contract between other parties, there is just zero way to get said files.
I'm not sure if I would take a cc commision or not, but if I did and the person did not want me to distribute the files I wouldn't.

LOL that is why I won't be offered up any commission any time soon.  As soon as the mesh is in the .package I would share it.  They only way they would be able to keep that baby exclusive is if they didn't want me to .package it for them and if they are going to go that route then I would suggest getting a done by a more talented 3D modelist (word?) who would undoubtedly do a better, faster and cheaper job.  
You can't really do that with a 'hood file/lot file, which makes this one a no-brainer. The clothing/object mesh work-around is sneaky and deserves much smackage, but you could feasibly get away with it.

And yes. People who play Pleasantview/Veronaville/Strangetown...you are lazy asses. *

*Not really. I prefer my custom everything, with my own terrains and families and houses. I play a 90% CC game. Stupid walls, foundations, and roofs! (Although I almost all my roof patterns are CC as well). But most of my CC is downloaded, which in turn makes me a lazy ass.

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
dr.philthy
ARR!

View Profile
CC Commission
« Reply #32 on: 2007 October 23, 23:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure the ONLY instance where you could feasibly get away with selling someone a seperate 3d model and appropriate texture .bmp and not be in violation of the EULA is in the case of completely static objects
with no game interactions what so ever (including 'look at' or whatever it's called)

Anything with any kind of animation, which is pretty much every kind of object(anything with an interaction) and all clothing, and hair too(hopefully), uses EAs animation code. When I make a clothing mesh, not only do I start with an EA mesh as my base, but I always use all of EAs bone assignments which they created for the sims 2 game EVEN IF I MAKE A PART ENTIRELY MYSELF. If I didn't use this, my mesh would not work and your sim would not move, or maybe the mesh would 'explode' as sims 2 meshes are fond of doing (I actually don't know what a non-animated clothing mesh would do)

Maybe if I sold someone an unboned(sims bone assignments belonging to EA) appropriately sized 3d model which I did not start with game mesh to make (which would be immpossible, in terms of correct sizing) and a 1024x1024 bmp for texture( I could not use BodyShop to preview while I made it either, but Milkshape displays textures pretty nice), and than I required that they do the bone assignments themselves (it takes forever), and use BodyShop themselves to connect the bmp to the mesh, than I could do it without violating the terms of the EULA.
However, I don't think any one does it this way or ever will.  Most people would not want to have to bone a mesh themselves, it would be way easier to just make the whole mesh yourself 99% of the time.

Or, I suppose I could say I did the bone assignments and connecting the texture in BodyShop for free, and charged only for the mesh and texture, provided I hadn't used any of EAs tools (which is really totally impossible for someone who has only sims 2 meshing experience)
When I make a mesh, I use EAs hands, feet, necks, and any other parts I can, because it's too long and complicated to make your own if you don't have to. So I have used EAs animation code long before I put the mesh into a .package. It already belonged to EA the second I loaded it into my Milkshape. If you have had a Sims 2 mesh and your mesh loaded into your 3d program at the same time while you were working on it, you'll lose your case, I guarantee :lol:

The only reason I think the commisioning is different is because we just can't do anything about it, other than discourage it. I don't think it's any more or less illegal than a paysite, I just think it will never catch on the way paysites did, mainly because I think most people don't have a clear idea of what they want for cc, and prefer to just see whats out there.
Many people who could afford a tailor still prefer ready to wear, etc...

Give 'er.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: