PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 05:17:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Maxoid Sam
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxoid Sam  (Read 84808 times)
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #135 on: 2007 October 07, 01:23:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"sorry, random forum postings by random users are not usable as citation)"

That's the reason for why the "Game Criticism" part was taken out.

Does anyone have a screenshot or two regarding the MAXOID post that "Yes, all games have this issue of multiple character files spawning" (paraphrased), then directing BBS users to go to MATY for the patch?

Because I damn well know I saw that there, and unfortuntaely I don't think I have that page in my Cache anymore.

If someone's still got it in their cache, or a screenshot of that post confirming the issue and telling them to go to MATY, please post it.  I don't know how changing Wikipedia entries work, but I find it bullshit that EAxis are editing this and threatening bans to users.

However, you are crossing a very serious line with your accusations, which are based on out-dated information about a completely different version of the software, so please stop doing that, or I will have no choice but to ban you from participation.

Doesn't matter.  The main point is - no matter what software, no matter what lawsuit how many years ago, SecuRom was packaged with two recent Sims 2 expansions, and installed on computers without knowledge or consent of the user.  Regardless of what software this is, what it does, blah blah, it was definitely installed illegally.

ETA: There's been a new edit to the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_2:_Bon_Voyage#SecuROM_controversy

In case it's been removed or anything, I got a screencap: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u140/RenegadeSims/wikientry_oct62007.jpg

Also, does the FTC handle issues like this?  If so, I found a complaint form you can fill out http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/complaint.shtm or "To file a complaint in English or Spanish or to get free information on any of 150 consumer topics, call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)"

redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #136 on: 2007 October 07, 03:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stupid double post
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #137 on: 2007 October 07, 03:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well apparently "SimMasterBurpie" has exploded I'd link it, but I don't know how to make a tiny url and it will be huge. It's called "The Facts about SecuRom" Here's an especially lovely quote:

Why exactly is it that you figure EA has to provide any kind of specific notification that there is software piracy protection files included in it's games?

So EA has decided that we just should take it and they don't care a bit if we don't buy any more games.

Damn them!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #138 on: 2007 October 07, 04:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, gee, their software caused my computer's burning program to die, reducing the functionality of a machine I had built to play games on, make picture albums for my family, and burn off custom content as soon as I had it sorted and classified the way I want it to be. It has caused me to lose the joy of sharing with my friends and family the pictures I myself had created on said piece of machinery. I have the right to say what goes upon my hard drive and they took that right away from me by saying that I had a choice. You do not yank away freedom of choice from a customer. That machine never goes upon the internet, so how am I going to download illegal warez? Why would I want to get an illegal copy of software when I know that when I get it legally, I have the right to bitch if something goes wrong? Duh! And while we're at it, they may as well buy me the full version of what came with my burning hardware because the trial version that I was evaluating to see if it would be a good investment got zorched and it will now no longer let me use the old version of what I had. Bastards, self-righteous, sanctimonious bastards... I want in on any class-action suit, that's for damn sure!

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Minolia
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #139 on: 2007 October 07, 05:09:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "redisenchanted"
Well apparently "SimMasterBurpie" has exploded I'd link it, but I don't know how to make a tiny url and it will be huge. It's called "The Facts about SecuRom" Here's an especially lovely quote:

Why exactly is it that you figure EA has to provide any kind of specific notification that there is software piracy protection files included in it's games?

So EA has decided that we just should take it and they don't care a bit if we don't buy any more games.

Damn them!

Stupid SimMaster, it's not the fact that it's antipiracy sotfware that's the problem it's the fact that it's hidden in the registry plays hell with the rest of your system and doesn't unistall when the game is taken out. And then you discover that the programme has been flagged by other gamers as having problems and wonder why EA used it in the first place cos BV was pirated anyway  :roll:  so the SecuRom is a useless and dangerous waste of space.

Edit: The BBS is full of refernces to various state and federal laws which is all well and good for the people based in the US. But does anyone know what UK or European law has to say about installing unremovable things without informing the user? I had a look but my google-fu seems to be weak at the moment.
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #140 on: 2007 October 07, 05:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup, read the "Facts About Securom" post in the Technical Help section of the BBS.  It's totally condescending and skirts around the fact that the "facts" don't actually matter for shit when the software was illegally installed on your computer in the first place.  It's not that they aren't allowed to do that: it's not legal, and it's extremely unethical.  Anyone who's studied computers would probably have taken an ethics course..

Anyway, there's a good post at the BBS titled: "What's Missing in Maxoid SecuROM Posts", where SimMasterBurpie is maintaining her condescending tone and lashing out at all the "armchair lawyers and techies".. That's disgusting.  Would it shock her, a supposed paralegal of 18 years, that real lawyers and actual computer professionals would play The Sims?

Here's a link to the BBS thread I just mentioned above.  I shrunk it via "Tiny URL" but it definitely links to the BBS Smiley
http://tinyurl.com/2mjyto

Markus
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #141 on: 2007 October 07, 06:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA can take SecuROM and shove it up their SuckuASSES.
All I could find was the SecuROM folder with the empty hidden files, nothing else(I had the directions from InSim on me too). I deleted it, and plan on maybe getting a tech person to look at my computer and make sure everything is good.
This is definitely the death of the Sims unless EA make the assoids can it and get a real PR department to save them.
My dad says it's a good thing EA aren't in the food industry. :lol:
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #142 on: 2007 October 07, 06:16:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aren't you going to have to pay a tech person to look at your computer?

You shouldn't have to do all this.  This is total bullshit and pisses me off.  I'm sorry you have to do that, but if you do, definitely claim from EA.  They keep trying to "calm" people down by saying "it doesn't harm anyone!", "it doesn't spy on you," and "Just disable certain features in your burning programs to get them to work."  None of it is relevant.  Anyone who had this shit illegally installed on their computer (which is everyone who has installed a recent Sims 2 game) does have footing in a class action lawsuit, whether or not you had issues.  That program doesn't go away for good, and apparently Sony has said you can't completely uninstall it.  It shouldn't have been installed in the first place.

EA can use copy-protection for their software, that's fine.  But when it needs to install something on a user's computer, without informing them first or getting their consent, that is crossing the line by a lightyear.

I hope something gets done soon, because the condescending attitudes are pushing me over the edge.  There are a lot of educated people, and they're all being talked down to by Sim"Masters" and Maxoids, who are apparently all Gods and know everything about everything.

Hopefully, non-Americans who are affected (since this is an internationally distributed game) can get some kind of compensation.  This is ridiculous.

Edit: Sorry if I have any typos.  I have a headache and I'm pissed off.

Pucci
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #143 on: 2007 October 07, 07:08:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "SMBurpie"
Okay all of you get a grip because my ban finger is getting reeeeaaallly twitchy right now. [...] I frankly am done with reasoning with irrational people, the bans will be flying if this flaming crap doesn't stop immediately, kapeesh?

EAxis has so many jackasses working for them it's ridiculous.
pinksmoke
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #144 on: 2007 October 07, 07:09:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll get you some Panadol, Renegadesims! 'Cause I need it too. My computer was attacked by a trojan thrice. Doesn't that say something?

quote="Black Rose"]
Maybe I should change my name to "Penny" and mesh some ugly hairs to get by. LOL[/quote]

Jess Maree's unofficial stalker; because CookiePirate isn't cutting it anymore.
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #145 on: 2007 October 07, 08:54:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pucci"
Quote from: "SMBurpie"
Okay all of you get a grip because my ban finger is getting reeeeaaallly twitchy right now. [...] I frankly am done with reasoning with irrational people, the bans will be flying if this flaming crap doesn't stop immediately, kapeesh?

EAxis has so many jackasses working for them it's ridiculous.

SMBurpie sounds more like SMBitchy. Prior to this I didn't think they were bad at all. Doubt they will have any credibility left after this, considering they will all have Benjamin Long noses from lying to everybody.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #146 on: 2007 October 07, 12:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "RenegadeSims"

I hope something gets done soon, because the condescending attitudes are pushing me over the edge.  There are a lot of educated people, and they're all being talked down to by Sim"Masters" and Maxoids, who are apparently all Gods and know everything about everything.

Sounds like things are getting really out of hand and EA is now attempting to bully the sheeple into behaving again. If they're not in out and out panic mode yet, they probably will be shortly.
Apsalar
ARR!

Not as dangerous as I seem to be

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #147 on: 2007 October 07, 14:31:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I have deleted Securom and following the tom's hardware method. Now I am just hoping it won't pop up again after I play BV. It is possible though that I have to either a. uninstall entire sims2 game or b. reinstall without BV. But I liked BV.  Sad  And I hope deleting securom will stop my game from crashing so I don't have to uninstall anything...  :evil:

- Tell me Tool, what dominates your thoughts?
- I think of futility, Adjunct.
- Do all Imass think about futility?
- No, few think at all.
- Why is that?
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her.
- Because, Adjunct, it is futile.
~~G
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #148 on: 2007 October 07, 17:05:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Not-Apsalar"
Okay, I have deleted Securom and following the tom's hardware method. Now I am just hoping it won't pop up again after I play BV. It is possible though that I have to either a. uninstall entire sims2 game or b. reinstall without BV. But I liked BV.  Sad  And I hope deleting securom will stop my game from crashing so I don't have to uninstall anything...  :evil:

If you don't have a crack you can't play BV, H&M, or Sims Deluxe if you remove Securom. The problem with Sony/Securom's removal proggie is the files regenerate themselves next time you play the game. So that method is worthless too.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
Maxoid Sam
« Reply #149 on: 2007 October 07, 18:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I pacakged all my Sims that weren't made with H&M or Bon Voyage to a folder on my desktop and just reinstalled everything. The ones I was attached to got different outfits/hair. Still have to do OFB and Seasons sometime today.
I actually don't mind reinstalling the base game though. That 'Grow Your Sims' game is kind of fun.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: