PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 26, 02:36:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5285 Members
Latest Member: breakinme
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Irony
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Irony  (Read 13393 times)
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #30 on: 2007 September 23, 20:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow. if what u'r saying is true i'm REALLY in trouble. i didn't know u could or had to delete recolors one by one with the design tool.  :shock:

i was basically in the catalog clicked on the item, and then clicked delete. isn't the mesh file what shows up as the catalog icon? if not that means i possibly have errant meshes AND recolors left. i'll never find them now if that's the case. u guys are scaring me. i do not have a backup of my dl folder either. seems i really went about this the wrong way.
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #31 on: 2007 September 23, 20:19:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would me going hog-wild! I loved organizing my downloads folder!... The upside being if I don't like it, I get to organize everything all over again (yes!).

:shock: u actually enjoy that?!!!? i avoided it like the plague. hence my current position. i wish i never brought the subject up. now i'm stressing.

can i send u my whole dl folder in a rar and u can organize it for me. that would rock!!!  Cheesy

... since u enjoy it so much and all.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #32 on: 2007 September 23, 20:34:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it is true if you delete an object and it still has recolors with the asterisk on them then the recolors will still be in your downloads folder.

However, it's also true that some recolors are packaged within the mesh's .package file.  If that is the case then when you delete a recolor it will delete the object too.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #33 on: 2007 September 23, 20:39:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's just me, but I've found the orphan scan absolutely useless.  I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid having many orphans but, of the forty or so results I get on an orphan scan (with over 9000 files in my downloads), every immediately recognizable name is something I have in my game that I like and know works.
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #34 on: 2007 September 23, 20:50:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"
Maybe it's just me, but I've found the orphan scan absolutely useless.  I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid having many orphans but, of the forty or so results I get on an orphan scan (with over 9000 files in my downloads), every immediately recognizable name is something I have in my game that I like and know works.

that's really disappointing because i was actually on my way to get it and start the clean up of my initial clean up. i'm just going to have to be diligent and do it manually. i thought i had about 1000 files - it's actually 6,515. this is going to be FUN! thanks everyone for the help and advice. i'm off to tackle this monster.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #35 on: 2007 September 23, 21:17:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Clean Installer is what I used when I first organized...before Delphy made his organizer. IT does a nice job of at least defining package type, and you can move them about...then further organize from there.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
LilyLocksley
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #36 on: 2007 September 23, 21:32:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I think I am masochistic. I always start of with a nice neat organized folder, but after a while I end up just shoving files in. I always think oh well I will fix it later. Of course that never happens so I just say screw it and delete the whole thing and start over at square one. Which I do every few months anyways. I never back up my folder with a new ep, just delete and start again, but then for some reason I think I enjoy finding and downloading stuff more than the game itself. Must be impulsive side, I guess.
Apsalar
ARR!

Not as dangerous as I seem to be

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #37 on: 2007 September 23, 21:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never go my mind into this whole over-organizing...the trick is to not slip in crap in the first place. I keep track of hacks and defaults, and the rest I Just shove in there, hoping it will not explode. Uh...that didn't sound good. But even though I organize more now that I have Deplhy's Organizer, I still don't do it often. I check for duplicates and orphans, and delete custom trees, and sometimes whole sets of hair.But other than that, I don't do much. So, not really any need to over-organize. But yeah, I was a mess before the DDO.  :roll:

- Tell me Tool, what dominates your thoughts?
- I think of futility, Adjunct.
- Do all Imass think about futility?
- No, few think at all.
- Why is that?
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her.
- Because, Adjunct, it is futile.
~~G
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #38 on: 2007 September 23, 23:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "slickchick"
that's really disappointing because i was actually on my way to get it and start the clean up of my initial clean up. i'm just going to have to be diligent and do it manually. i thought i had about 1000 files - it's actually 6,515. this is going to be FUN! thanks everyone for the help and advice. i'm off to tackle this monster.

Don't get me wrong--the program is wonderful for identifying TYPES of content, and you can sort by install date, subfolder installed, name, type, all sorts of things--it's perfect for moving files around.

I'm a lazy downloader, personally.  I love to use QExpress, even off of MTS2...I'll dump .zips and .rars in a catch-all on the desktop and use QExpress to install them into Downloads.  Then, I'll run my game and if anything is crappy or doesn't work right, I can find it right in the base folder.  Also helps me Compressorize, since everything in Downloads hasn't been run through it yet.

On a regular basis, then, I run the organizer and move things into the appropriate subfolder.  I just haven't had any luck with the orphan scanner.  Maybe I don't have any orphans, though.  It just seems unlikely with so many downloads, that I wouldn't have at least one orphan clothing mesh or something, you know?
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #39 on: 2007 September 24, 00:11:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ARGH!!!!
SlickChick, it's great that you've found us and managed to avoid many of the problems that n00bs struggle with, but please stop double/triple posting. You're all over the place like a Catholic school girl. If you have already posted and no one has replied, just edit the existing posts. Unless more than a day has passed, there's no reason to have consecutive posts.

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Join my imaginary cult. The consequences of refusal are worse than you imagine.
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #40 on: 2007 September 24, 00:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quinctia, I now feel like a cc ho, I have over 27,000 files in my DL folder, of course in subfolders as well.  Maybe I need to quit downloading?  Or join a support group.   :lol:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #41 on: 2007 September 24, 00:36:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, how much of it do you actually use?  If I like something, I generally don't pause before downloading it.  I'm just kind of picky about some things.  Like genetics.  I like tons of variety, but I make all the eyes NPC available and bin all my hair, so I like to keep things that play well together.  Things that don't go, I pull out.

I really need to go and kill a lot of stupid deco objects I never use, and a couple of ugly recolors of objects here and there, still.  I finally killed the last of the lower quality textured clothes I had last night, leftover from my old computer with the worse graphics.

I'd say I've probably had at least 18,000 files in my game total, but as CC has improved and my own system to play on has improved, a LOT has been cycled out.  I'd say I have very, very few things now left from when I was first downloading.  I even killed my own first body shop projects last night!
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #42 on: 2007 September 24, 01:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strangely enough, after the Booty came into existence I've got less CC than I've ever had (holding steady at 2GB, was 4GB once upon a time).  With each EP I find there are EAxis things that do/look like what I'd had CC for, so out goes the CC version.  And I strip out old stuff before I'll install new stuff.  It's like a rule I have now.  At least four hairs go before any new ones come in, like that.

Quinctia - I've never had much luck w/orphan scanning either, tho I did manage to delete every damn mesh I had once.   :roll:   I'm a spaz w/3rd party programs.  They were just in the recycle bin, had to fish them out, but I'll stick to my old manual sorting method and CleanInstaller.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
Meganne
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #43 on: 2007 September 24, 02:05:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "JFederated"
Strangely enough, after the Booty came into existence I've got less CC than I've ever had (holding steady at 2GB, was 4GB once upon a time).  With each EP I find there are EAxis things that do/look like what I'd had CC for, so out goes the CC version.  And I strip out old stuff before I'll install new stuff.  It's like a rule I have now.  At least four hairs go before any new ones come in, like that.

Oh I though I was the only one with a thinner Downloads folder than pre-booty. Actually I use the booty in a childish way. My downloads are in general from Rose and Peggy so a) "Revenge sweet revenge" for the way I was treated when I was a newbie 2)  I can point and laugh. Pretty stupid reasons so the files don't even end in the DL folder.
I think the booty made me realize that 80% of the pay stuff out there isn't worth my time to download it. I had this theory "you get what you pay for", it changed quite a lot with the involvement in the Open Source community and the Sims environment was definitive proof. i.e. I always wanted the Victorian stuff of VitaSims, got it from the booty and decided that my DL folder was happier without it Smiley
Like others here I bin all the hair I put in my DL folder if isn't yet binned and no eyes or skintones get there without being geneticized and NPC available. That takes my time and effort so makes me ask myself if is worth it.
I'm anal retentive so I've sub folders divided in Eyes / Hair / Skintones / MakeUp (you got the point) and inside those by creators, plus recolorists have their subdirectories under the creator of the mesh.
Hey I said I'm anal retentive, ok?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08. Hiding.

Member of Cala's cult.
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #44 on: 2007 September 24, 02:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "missangelica"
Has Delphy fixed the issue where recolors of Maxis meshes were labeled as orphans?  I never heard an answer to that..

Not that I know of.  When I downloaded it, the post mentioned a problem with occasionally labeling something as an orphan when it is not.

Tim
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: