PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 14:59:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Sims Mod Board is having problems, too.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Sims Mod Board is having problems, too.  (Read 80255 times)
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
The Sims Mod Board is having problems, too.
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 05, 04:02:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was my first Sims 2 forum. actually, right before I found an INTJ-encouraging new home at MATY.

Katy is very creative. I use it often when playing. Fee's stuff sears my retinas, but at least she thinks of something interesting no one else has done once in a while.

I didn't care for the 42 tags per user and enormo-icons / -sigs and blinkies and colours and such.

They swapped hosts in Jan or Feb, IIRC, so this is not a totally unprecedented issue. It was the total "o hai, we're dead" surprise I experienced there that led me to seek out equally large, helpful, stable sites with interesting discussion forums and downloads.

I get both at MATY, then I visit INSIM / MTS2 occasionally for goodies but rarely chat, and I chat here but rarely download anything.

The language barrier and cluttery forum doodahs pushed me away before the earlier "woopz, no host! halp!" drama this year.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 05, 11:37:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think this thread has taken on board that Katy is no longer with that site.  It says so in the Circumstances link http://www.pc-sims.com/smb/circumstances.html "Also we lost our Resident Creator Katy because of these rebels."

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 05, 11:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thats sad she's gone. Sad. Theres some ugly things going on out there.
I liked that site, but it was very hard to navigate. Its like Simtech 2 was taken down by someone in the inside borking their files, and they have not returned.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 05, 12:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I visited the site a couple of times but both times decided to go back when I was at a loose end for an hour or so, due to the navigation complexities.  It looked like there would be some amazing hacks on there.

Well the silver lining is maybe Katy will pop up somewhere that is easier to download from?

Our lil friend must be stopped.
hornymanatee
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 05, 12:23:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That site has a lot of good stuff, I'll miss it. Sad

They could save bandwidth by restricting content (for example, giving every long-time member a birthday/get well soon/christmas gift set of high poly stuff like furniture, etc is very nice, but totally unnecessary), and cutting down on the most of the graphics (that site is/was so graphic intensive and jumbled up).
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 05, 14:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
Well the silver lining is maybe Katy will pop up somewhere that is easier to download from?

That settles it, I won't be donating there to help. Hopefully Katy will find or start a new board that is run more efficiently. Her mods are really good.
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 05, 14:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This bothers me. 4000$ a year? WTF?

I had an EZBoard forum that I paid like 50 bucks for a years worth of no-ads, etc...to make it gold, hosted my files on free file host servers, my pics on photobucket and never had to pay anything else out of pocket again.

I also ran everything alone. No help.

NEVER had a problem.

Is little Ry more capable than a million and four 'employee's'?
Hm.

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 05, 15:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Katy's stuff was, well, awful. It borked the game, it didn't look good, and frankly there are better hacks that did much of the same thing.

I also disliked the whole site. hard to navigate, annoying search function. All in all, not worth a second visit. I won't miss them....I barely knew they were there.

I do think their problems with cost and staff mean they're doing it wrong. Clearly there are a million ways to run a site like that without the extensive costs or manpower.

And interesting that basically it was internal drama that made the place implode. Just....interesting. Gonads and strife, anyone?

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 05, 16:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gonads and strife?  Is that like bangers and mash?   Tongue  

Four grand a year sounds insane; they aren't anywhere near as large as MST2, are they?  I signed up there many moons ago but didn't find anything I really had to have (didn't have anything specific I was looking for either), but the navigation was dizzying, as I recall.  Creating good site navigation on a big site is a skill, I think.  

Shame a free site plows itself under like that, tho.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 05, 16:20:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gonads and strife.

Be sure to turn your sound on...it's...well...let's just say once you experience it (wheeeeeeee!!!) you will never forget it!

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2007 September 05, 16:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lorelei"
That was my first Sims 2 forum. actually, right before I found an INTJ-encouraging new home at MATY.

I'm normally very good at picking up on sarcasm on the intarwebs, but you lost me on this one. I'd like to know if this was really meant to be tongue-in-cheek before I break down into hysterical laughter.

Also, was this the forum where everyone has massive avatars and Peggy-style blinky shit all over the place? If so, I liked the concept for a lot of the downloads, but I never got anything because:

a)I couldn't find it, or
b)It'd time out when I tried to download it.

And $4000 a year in hosting/server costs is either worthy of a "you're doing it wrong" macro, or a blatant lie.
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 September 05, 18:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hec - thank you.  I am complete.  I am whole.  I have now found what was missing from my life...

MOAR WEEEEeeeeeeeeee!!!

:lol:

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2007 September 05, 20:18:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Aquamarine"
Quote from: "Lorelei"

I'm normally very good at picking up on sarcasm on the intarwebs, but you lost me on this one. I'd like to know if this was really meant to be tongue-in-cheek before I break down into hysterical laughter.

I'm not sure how you're interpreting my comment, so I can't say if you're on the mark or not! :lol:

INTJ is a Myers-Briggs temperament type, though.

Interesting note: INTJs are among the most rare temperament types, making up a little over 2% of the (tested) population. MATY recently hosted a link to MB quizzes and a poll, and INTJs are a distinct majority, based on those who chose to both take the test and poll. IIRC, INTJs which responded numbered over 35, and the next most popular MB type was approximately 15-16 respondents. Further, I-types and T-types also predominate.

None of this makes a lick of sense unloess you are familiar with MB types, but if you are, you are probably suddenly realizing why MATY is such an unusual place.

Another interesting note: American society as a whole rewards E type and F type behaviors and typically applies peer pressure to suggest that being an I type or a T type are "wrong" and that I types are socially retarded and pathologically shy, whereas T types are heartless and unfeeling. I types and T types prefer to see themselves as independent and disinterested in the negative opinions of others (it is difficult to insult an I / T type), and as not being ruled by illogical things such as mood swings and feelings.

Personal note: This is why, even if someone has broken my heart, I can still wish them well, become good friends, and be nice to their new girlfriend(s) and truly mean it. Or how I can make choices that do not benefit me at all, and will, in fact, cause me great inconvenience and aggravation, but which are the right thing to do. Or why I can look at the paysite/freesite debate and sort out all the irrelevant personal feelings and focus solely on the legality and morality and correct behavior required by the rules and EULAe we have been given, and how tantrums just make me dismiss any illiogical argument a paysiter might make. If it isn't logical or legal, I don't give a rat's toot how unhappy they are, or if their widdle feewinks are bruised, because they are clearly IN THE WRONG, and it boggles me that we even have to argue about it at all.

Yep. My brain overrides any emotional outbursts someone else might make. I feel things just as strongly as an F, but my feelings are ruled by logic and restraint. I cannot be manipulated with guilt or self-pity or anger or whining AT ALL. At best, I'll only give in because it is the most expedient way to stop the whining and nagging, and if I'm only somewhat opposed to something. This is a rare event. This drives my very E/F mother crazy, but her (illogical) needs and moods and constant requirement for socializing drive ME crazy.

Somehow my friends and relationship partners still see me as one of the warmest, "loving-est", kindest-hearted people they know. I'm pretty warm 'n' fuzzy if people don't try to invalidate my temperament type (e.g. by complaining that I read or think too much, say, or by being clingy / demanding) or infringe on my need for alone time. You can be a T without being a cyborg, but pleas on an emotional level to make me change my mind from a logical choice to an illogical one will always meet with PHAIL. I may empathize, but that's the only concession I'll give IF you're being illogical. START MAKING SENSE, yo! :lol:

If you apply these temperaments to MATY, which is strongly INTJ, as is Pescado, you get a forum that doesn't seek out members, is not particularly bothered about welcoming new people, dismissive of illiteracy and 12ness and "hurt feelings" and drama, enjoys thoughtful threads and debates, focuses on clarity of expression (semantics) and grammar, and is bored easily. If you're an INTJ, the lack of fluffy / blinky emoties and e-hugs and long discussions about soppy feeling-based crud and leetspeak is like manna from heaven.

That, exaggerated for LULZ, is what I was referring to. I found MATY instantly welcoming because I read the FAQ, read old threads, lurked a bit, took nothing personally, and posted relevant comments.

MY HOMIES!!

PROTIP: Pescado is an INTJ. To the max. This has led to somewhat startling occasions on chat, where we basically type the same comment at the same time. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!! Even more odd, given that my personality is a lot different than Pescado's. I think in the same way, but my reactions and interpretations are greatly toned down and, perhaps, socialized more, as my entire family is E/F. I can't be like / think like them, but I have had to learn to co-exist with them. Sort of. Smiley

Quote from: "Aquamarine"

Also, was this the forum where everyone has massive avatars and Peggy-style blinky shit all over the place? If so, I liked the concept for a lot of the downloads, but I never got anything because:

a)I couldn't find it, or
b)It'd time out when I tried to download it.

And $4000 a year in hosting/server costs is either worthy of a "you're doing it wrong" macro, or a blatant lie.

Yes, it was one big blink fest. It made my retinas hurt. If I were epileptic, I would have died seventeen times by now.

Didn't know about DRAMA. Katy left, huh? Wild. *goes off to read link o' drama*

Hec: I use(d) a bunch of Katy stuff, haven't had any problems. Then again, I'm a bit picky and run SHCD and Clean Installer and so on before doing anything. If something doesn't live up to the hype, I zorch it.  I think her shortcomings revolve around poor mesh skills. Her mod work is actually fairly good. Not great, but pretty good. I was pleased to find a female (one has to assume, doesn't one, as the official party line is that there are no real women on Teh Intarweebz) modder who was doing some interesting things.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 September 05, 21:01:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some math..

$400 a month x 12 months = $4000 Huh

Now, I may not be a math whiz but I'm pretty sure it would be $4800..

---

Katy's Quality:  At least from the things I've been interested in, I've noticed that she puts things up for download before properly testing it.  I don't think that it is intentional borking up people's games.  I think she just gets so excited by what she's working on that she feels the need to share it asap.  I would typically wait at least a week before downloading it to allow the first wave of testers to help her fix the object.

eta:  oh, her objects are also "not awesome" (MATY) so some refuse to download just based on that. :lol:

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Petunia
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 September 05, 21:04:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm.  Read this at their circumstances page. And it is interesting to read.

http://www.pc-sims.com/smb/circumstances.html

"If you would like to know the backers of those who made us
problems you can inquiry a blacklist on the emailaddress below.
We would be glad, if you would remove this trouble makers
from your own (Sims 2) website, because they are a
danger for every community on which they reside on.
We would recommend, that you take from time to time an
update from the actual rebel list. All griefers, spys and trolls are listed
there and we would provide you hi-tech applets to ban them forever.
Further we would encourage you to provide us judicial assistance
to punish those by court process who destructed a big part of SMB.

Send your further questions please to: guardteam@pc-sims.com"

f a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: