PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 21:31:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Sims Mod Board is having problems, too.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Sims Mod Board is having problems, too.  (Read 80257 times)
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
The Sims Mod Board is having problems, too.
« Reply #45 on: 2007 September 06, 13:14:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Slightly off-topic, but not really...

Yesterday I spent a little over one hour making myself a nice, free Yuku board.
The links in my sig if anyone wants to check it out.

I uploaded files to mediafire, used photobucket for my pics.
Didn't pay a penny for the board, hosting etc...
And it took me just over one hour.
The only rules I ahve to follow are Yuku's TOU.

SO, my point is, it's very possible to just plain open up a 100% free site and not spend a freaking dime on it. I just did and it didn't even take that long.
So *PBBBT* to everyone who says it's too hard.

Alright, ya'll can go back on topic now...lol
Sorry.

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 September 06, 17:41:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado wrote:

"It's easier to deal with people when you're not thinking of murdering them."

I'm painting this on a plank of wood and nailing it across my front door.  Full credit given, of course.

Ry - that's a great perspective you give.  I'm sure there are those that are just genuinely ignorant of such options, so they struggle instead of research...then they see TSR charging AND drawing ad income and...gah, TSR sucks!  What a shitty example they set.

Sorry.  I had something more sensible to say but it's gone now.   :oops:

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
silver
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 September 06, 17:50:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you mean EZBoard Yuku? Or "yuku" yuku?

EZBoard can be evil. Very evil. Their free boards used to be an utter headache because the ad provider wasn't always the most conscientious about the quality of the ads, and every once in a while, you'd get a pop-up ad that turned out to have some nasty spyware or a virus. The last time, it took me quite a while to rid myself of one bit of persistent spyware that I managed to get while visiting a free board, and I just stayed away from free EZBoards for a while, period. And I HAVE a free EZBoard (now temporarily mothballed when we moved to another board service we liked better).

I've been to a free EZ board recently, though, and it SEEMS they've moved away from those horrible pop-up nightmares for a time. But I don't want to develop a false sense of security when it comes to EZBoard.
And their paid plans can cost a lot in the long run.

But there are some really good board services and board providers that don't wind up as much of a headache. AND they're free and pretty good when it comes to bandwidth. Many of the ones I like aren't  terribly popular, and aren't the usual PhpBB-style boards so many people favor. Support is decent, and the board is easy to maintain.

And I would have to agree with Inge and others about the benefits of a one-person smaller site if running a larger site seems unwieldy, time-consuming and expensive. Many smaller sites I like don't have tons of updates, but they do update regularly with a few updates a week, and focus on those, testing a few at a time. The boards to these sites are usually pretty simple and straightforward, with a minimum of "souvenirs, novelties and party tricks". Perhaps if SMB is to come back, that's what the new owner(s) and mods might want to consider. It would probably be cheaper and easier in the long run.

And they might indeed, want to keep that list of IP headaches on hand and ban those idiots who keep re-registering. I just hope that the list does indeed include real trolls who wreak havoc, rather than PMBD people who dared, once or twice, to suggest that paysites are evil. Those two groups aren't necessarily the same ones, though some site and board owners seem to think so!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 September 06, 17:53:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "silver"
And they might indeed, want to keep that list of IP headaches on hand and ban those idiots who keep re-registering. I just hope that the list does indeed include real trolls who wreak havoc, rather than PMBD people who dared, once or twice, to suggest that paysites are evil. Those two groups aren't necessarily the same ones, though some site and board owners seem to think so!

The key to avoiding junk registration is not to demand registration. If you INSIST people register, even when they do not want to, you're going to get tons of throwaway logins that people will not remember when they pass by 3 months later. What's the point of this, other than to brag about your bloated membercounts?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: 2007 September 06, 18:06:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately I can't control the fact that you have to register to post, but I don't think you have to register to view....
And It's EZ Yuku.
I had an EZ forum, but it went out of gold...it just sits there now.
This Yuku forum has no ads or anything, though. Nada.

And I've only got 2 members...lmao. Me and Me Admin.  :lol:

I don't really care if people post, I just wanted a place for my stuff.
And to prove that although it may not be the best way to do things, It's free and it's there now and it didn't cost me a dime...just an hour or so of my time, so people can't complain they have no way to have a free site, because, well, not only are there people offering hosting, there are more creative ways to make your own site, too...like a forum or whatever.
Does that make sense?

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: 2007 September 06, 18:37:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Aquamarine"

That's actually quite interesting.
The truth is, according to the polls, INTJs only polled as 20%, rather than the "majority" as Lorelei stated, but it's certainly and visibly a dominantly overrepresented faction.

That seems slightly more realistic. I automatically assumed she meant 51% or more, which was just laughable, all things considered. Thanks for clearing that up.

No, no, Lorelei just posted hastily and didn't catch the wrong word choice.

What I meant was that the temperament type with the largest number of respondents claiming it was their MB type was INTJ which had approximately twice the votes when compared the second-most popular choice.

Or: INTJ had most votes, yo. Second place had far fewer votes than INTJ. I/T types overall seem to be predominant. For an MB type that is supposedly rare, more people claim to be this type than any other type (ant other individual type, not all 15 other types combined) by a roughly 2:1 margin.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 September 06, 18:52:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "HawkGirl"
Quote from: "missangelica"
eta:  oh, her objects are also "not awesome" (MATY) so some refuse to download just based on that. :lol:

I thought we didn't put down freesites here or freesite creators? Is that not part of the FAQ?

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  I do not know how well you are familiar with More Awesome Than You, Pescado's other site.  Anything not created by the creators at MATY is considered non-awesome, despite what quality it may be.  I said non-awesome in quotes because that is not how I feel about her work.  I remember Pescado commenting on how Katy codes her objects and thought to include it in my comment, although extremely generalized to the point of nonrecognition, to balance out the praise of Katy.  Too much fluff, even here, gets people agitated.

You also reiterated most of what I said in the rest of your post so I hope this explanation clears up your doubts.

She has nothing to do with them saying they need 400 a month to host the site. Sad

Did I say that?  I don't think I did so I don't know where you got that from..   :lol:

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 September 06, 19:17:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lorelei"

That's actually quite interesting.
The truth is, according to the polls, INTJs only polled as 20%, rather than the "majority" as Lorelei stated, but it's certainly and visibly a dominantly overrepresented faction.

That seems slightly more realistic. I automatically assumed she meant 51% or more, which was just laughable, all things considered. Thanks for clearing that up.

No, no, Lorelei just posted hastily and didn't catch the wrong word choice.

What I meant was that the temperament type with the largest number of respondents claiming it was their MB type was INTJ which had approximately twice the votes when compared the second-most popular choice.

Or: INTJ had most votes, yo. Second place had far fewer votes than INTJ. I/T types overall seem to be predominant. For an MB type that is supposedly rare, more people claim to be this type than any other type (ant other individual type, not all 15 other types combined) by a roughly 2:1 margin.

Gotcha.

And I love how there are 3-4 different conversations taking place in this thread right now.
silver
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 September 06, 20:18:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I love how there are 3-4 different conversations taking place in this thread right now.

What's better is that people are actually able to follow any or all of them without missing a beat!

Let's see.

I'm an ISTJ. Great. That makes me sound like I'd be a real pip at cocktail parties. I'd be constantly off in a corner staring at the guests. The other test mentioned on MATY, though, states I'm an ISTP. Well, three out of four of the traits match, I guess.

Yes, starting a board like that does make sense. It is, indeed, one way to show that if one wants to start a low-budget site because the cash flow is stagnant, one can.

No, Inge has not taken her toys and gone home.

And I think I missed a topic in this thread somewhere. Sorry.

Ah, yes. I missed the first topic in my own thread! (and I'm an ISTJ? Maybe I should take those tests again.) I actually liked the mods from SMB I did download: the beehive and the Cannabis mod. The beehive has a slight glitch when used with a particular ghost mod on MTS2. Nothing serious, but I found that if I wanted to use the ghost mod, I had to temporarily get rid of the beehive on the lot. When I got the Sim back to normal, I could put the beehive back.

The Cannabis mod just amuses me. I guess I'm easily amused. No problems that I can see.

I hope that Katy will find a new home soon. She had a lot to offer that was offbeat and fun.
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 September 06, 20:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

eta:  oh, her objects are also "not awesome" (MATY) so some refuse to download just based on that. :lol:

I thought we didn't put down freesites here or freesite creators? Is that not part of the FAQ?

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  I do not know how well you are familiar with More Awesome Than You, Pescado's other site.  Anything not created by the creators at MATY is considered non-awesome, despite what quality it may be.  I said non-awesome in quotes because that is not how I feel about her work.  I remember Pescado commenting on how Katy codes her objects and thought to include it in my comment, although extremely generalized to the point of nonrecognition, to balance out the praise of Katy.  Too much fluff, even here, gets people agitated.

You also reiterated most of what I said in the rest of your post so I hope this explanation clears up your doubts.

She has nothing to do with them saying they need 400 a month to host the site. Sad

Did I say that?  I don't think I did so I don't know where you got that from..   :lol:

Not you, you didn't say anything was borked or broken or crap. The first paragraph was just for you, to agree with what you said.

The second was to anyone that was saying her mods were junk, or borked, or crap. Which was the reason for the second edit, that I thought we didn't start crap about freesite owners/creators. Especially since I had just saw a Noob get the crap chewed out of them, in fact two for saying a freesite creator was making crap. It was so discouraged because we don't pay for it, that it was then made part of the FAQ we don't do that, here. The third was in response to someone else. I'm so cordinated. lol This is what happens because I don't want to double post. 3 times now! But, if I had put ETA you would have still thought I was addressing you, or no? I think it should say I edited that post 3 times.

Quote from: "silver"

What's better is that people are actually able to follow any or all of them without missing a beat!

The Cannabis mod just amuses me. I guess I'm easily amused. No problems that I can see.

I hope that Katy will find a new home soon. She had a lot to offer that was offbeat and fun.

If Katy posts at all it will be at SMB, I think. But after what they did to her, I'd be surprised if she posted at all, anywhere. She doesn't have a thick shell like some people do.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 September 07, 02:10:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
...and I didn't take my toys anyway if that's what you're implying  :|

I wasn't mentioning you. I was just saying that single-creator sites tend to die in the "take their toys and go home" way, whereas shared sites tend to continue, albeit sometimes poorly, if someone takes their toys and goes home. The point is that the loss of a shared site is not equivalent to the loss of any given creator, whereas the loss of a single-creator site nearly always involves the creator flouncing.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 September 07, 11:04:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But it's not the site that's important, it's the content.  If only one creator has their content at a site, and that creator decides to eliminate their content from the community, there is no extra loss in the site ceasing to exist.  It's the same loss as it would have been if they moved their stuff from the larger site - and a whole lot less hassle for the poor remaining staff who have to keep on answering questions about where it has gone.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 September 07, 22:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, someone has offered the site free hosting now, so their problems could be over if they want them to be.  If they prefer to ask for $4000 instead of taking up the free hosting offer then I shall have my opinions about that Smiley

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: 2007 September 07, 22:35:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's hoping they accept the free hosting offer. I'd hate to think they were just after the $4000.

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
ShanOw
« Reply #59 on: 2007 September 08, 00:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That settles it, I won't be donating there to help. Hopefully Katy will find or start a new board that is run more efficiently. Her mods are really good.

Katy said in a survey that once SMB closes, she will give up creating and will never re-surface again.

also...

As far I can say, our SMB founding conception would not allow to move uploads
from SMB to other sites.

Katy decreed, that her uploads will stay here and only here. I respect her
decree
and we cannot ask her anymore now.

As soon as SMB closes all of katy's creations will be lost
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: