PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 23:59:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would Anyone Care to Chime In?  (Read 39347 times)
caryse
Landlubber

View Profile
Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
« Reply #120 on: 2006 November 29, 04:03:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand why this issue continually devolves into a personal issue. It's not like we're poking babies with sticks (well, I dunno what Pescado does with his free time) or robbing little old ladies of their pensions.

C.

----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GL !d s--:+ a- C+++ U P L+ E? W++ N o? K? w-- O? M-- V? PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP t !5 !X R tv+ b++++ !DI D- G++ e* h---- r+++ x+++**
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2006 November 29, 04:14:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just this issue. It's the nature of the internet; when you disagree with people, some of them will feel personally attacked. If you were to disagree with them irl, you'd probably back off really quickly because you wouldn't want to deal with this outwardly normal person who becomes a raving lunatic as soon as s/he is contradicted. But on the internet, we don't see the warning signs, and it's a lot easier to keep pushing an issue. People who usually aren't subjected to conflicting opinions because of the way they act in real life never had to grow a thick skin, nor do they have the normal social barrier to keep them from saying precisely what they please to anyone who disagrees with them.

It all comes down to the fact that some people feel personally attacked and insulted whenever anyone disagrees with them.

At least that's my theory.

Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2006 November 29, 04:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering that there seems to be a desire to keep people as innocent as possible, to dumb down debates, your hypothesis doesn't sound that far off, Neriana.  :?

This is kind of a silly issue to be getting so upset and personal about.
caryse
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2006 November 29, 04:44:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "neriana"
It's not just this issue. It's the nature of the internet; when you disagree with people, some of them will feel personally attacked. If you were to disagree with them irl, you'd probably back off really quickly because you wouldn't want to deal with this outwardly normal person who becomes a raving lunatic as soon as s/he is contradicted. But on the internet, we don't see the warning signs, and it's a lot easier to keep pushing an issue. People who usually aren't subjected to conflicting opinions because of the way they act in real life never had to grow a thick skin, nor do they have the normal social barrier to keep them from saying precisely what they please to anyone who disagrees with them.

It all comes down to the fact that some people feel personally attacked and insulted whenever anyone disagrees with them.

At least that's my theory.

I dunno, I love arguing with raving lunatics myself. But I think that's just a normal side effect from five years working in call centres.

C.

----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GL !d s--:+ a- C+++ U P L+ E? W++ N o? K? w-- O? M-- V? PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP t !5 !X R tv+ b++++ !DI D- G++ e* h---- r+++ x+++**
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2006 November 29, 05:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never argue with a crazy ma... erm... Nevermind

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2006 November 29, 05:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "caryse"
I don't understand why this issue continually devolves into a personal issue. It's not like we're poking babies with sticks (well, I dunno what Pescado does with his free time) or robbing little old ladies of their pensions.

Some people cannot stand having proof of their hypocrisy laid out for everyone to see. If they can't defend themselves or their position to their satisfaction, they get hysterical and revert to personal attacks because they have no more reasons to support their position(s).

I've still yet to see anyone give a satisfactory answer as to why exactly pay site owners can freely ignore the EULA without being thought of as immoral but when others treat them with the same disregard, they're thought of as 'wrong.'
migamoo
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2006 November 29, 05:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"
I've still yet to see anyone give a satisfactory answer as to why exactly pay site owners can freely ignore the EULA without being thought of as immoral but when others treat them with the same disregard, they're thought of as 'wrong.'

Because they never read it in the first place. While their ignorance doesn't mean they can get away from it, they might not have known what they are doing is wrong in the first place.
tsyy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2006 November 29, 05:38:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think paysite owners know full well what they are doing, hence why they call it a "donation". :roll:
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2006 November 29, 05:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because they never read it in the first place. While their ignorance doesn't mean they can get away from it, they might not have known what they are doing is wrong in the first place.

Now that's a good point. I should try to make it my mission to inform every pay site owner that they're violating the EULA by selling Sims 2 custom content. Let's see how many sites I can get banned from! Does anyone have any bets as to how many will ban me immediately rather than either ignore me or respond in any manner?

However, if they're permitted to use ignorance as an excuse, so should people who share their files. If they don 't read the 'terms' from the creator, they can't be blamed for sharing the files against their wishes, right? Wink

I think paysite owners know full well what they are doing, hence why they call it a "donation".

I also believe that, but it's not really provable unless said site pay site owner/creator admits it; anyhoo, see my earlier point. If they claim ignorance of the EULA, they can't fault anyone else for claiming the same thing regarding distributing their content.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2006 November 29, 06:22:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer flagrantly defying them. It makes them that much more angry, and I find this incredibly amusing.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
toomanyguppys
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2006 November 29, 06:44:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "caryse"
I don't understand why this issue continually devolves into a personal issue.

For some it as someone else has already posted--they just can't have a civil disagreement without going into seahag mode and pitching a fit.  For others, I think it's different reasons--or additional ones.

The paysite owners have found a way to make some cash--maybe a little, but in some cases I think it's Quite A Lot of money--and it's not only easy but it's fun. Not like work at all, really.  Now someone wants to interfere with that and the paysite owners don't like it.  Of course they take it personally because, for some of them at least, it means that if they lose this fight they might have to get off their personal asses and find themselves some real jobs.

Of course, some people are simply assholes and no other explanation for their behavior is really needed.

on't play leapfrog with unicorns
simsfunk
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2006 November 29, 12:00:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"
I am withdrawing any defense I had for Emma/simsfunk. I have received two nasty PMs from her that included the continual accusation of file-sharers hacking, personal insults and using vulgar language that is supposed to be off-limits for that board
YOU LYING BITCH.

If this forum is no holds barred then fine. Let's damn well have at it.

NOT ONCE did I accuse this site of stealing or hacking. NOT ONE DAMN TIME.

See this is your problem, Denimjo. You read what you what you want to read and understand what you want to and that's it. End of story. Then, when you don't get your own way, you go running to Admin to lodge a complaint. Do you REALLY believe they're going to listen to you over me!??!

I posted my PMs and your replies ver batum in the Mod Forum immediately I received your last reply and everyone who has read them so far has agreed that I did NOT say anything accusing this site of hacking and/or stealing and that you somehow, gradually got to that conclusion yourself.

In fact, and you KNOW this to be true and anyone who comes to Boolprop can see it in my post history, I have DEFENDED the site against anyone who HAS accused the site of stealing. So don't talk such CRAP.

As for the personal insults... what were they exactly?!??! When I said that you really do go "all out" with your replies!!??! Or when I told you not to talk to me like my mother?!?!

And there is NO RULE on Boolprop.com to stop people cursing via PMs so don't try that again.

And just to prove a point... exactly what have you done?!?! You've run to your friends again, telling tales.

You're pathetic Denimjo (there's your personal insult).

And as for everyone else here, when you know the full story, THEN you can comment.

hat the...?!?
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2006 November 29, 12:09:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen any messages. Where is the proof of these accusations? My theory is that Denimjo misinterpreted the comments. This is not unexpected, Denimjos have been known to be rather stupid. I want to see proof one way or another.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
simsfunk
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2006 November 29, 12:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
I haven't seen any messages. Where is the proof of these accusations? My theory is that Denimjo misinterpreted the comments. This is not unexpected, Denimjos have been known to be rather stupid. I want to see proof one way or another.

I haven't made any accusations.... this is what I'm trying to say.

Whether you're joking or not with the last part of your post Pescado, I don't know... but I didn't accuse this site of anything. I actually started the whole mess off by saying I was 100% behind the site and the file-sharing.

Okay... the PMs are to follow....

hat the...?!?
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2006 November 29, 12:18:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "simsfunk"
Whether you're joking or not with the last part of your post Pescado, I don't know... but I didn't accuse this site of anything. I actually started the whole mess off by saying I was 100% behind the site and the file-sharing.

I didn't say you did. You did accuse Denimjo of lying, though. Given that we know Denimjo is kind of stupid, are you sure the situation is not more easily explained by stupidity than malice?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: