PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 01:27:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would Anyone Care to Chime In?  (Read 39319 times)
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
« on: 2006 November 27, 02:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently managed to get one of the forums I occasionally frequent (Boolprop.com) to allow a discussion of the file-sharing issue. Hooray! However, one of the mods thinks that I have been responding too often and that it looks more like an, 'Argue with Denimjo'-type thread rather than a debate. Would anyone else care to add to the discussion to distribute the points freely through other people?

ETA: The only thing they ask (besides civility) is that this site not be linked to.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 27, 02:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In one of your posts, on Page 2, you state that someone pays $60/month for unmetered bandwidth.  I think you probably meant $60/year. Wink

Anyhow, I'm reading the thread to see if there's anything I want to respond to.

Edit:  And WTF is up with this chick Ameshisuto with the ginormous signature who disagrees with people calling others by their screenname?  Ugh.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 27, 03:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bigsmallquack says, "A chunk of MATY is a paysite."

*snerk*

Hey, wait a minute, just a chunk? Which chunk would that be? I thought our subscription fees were going to pay for Pescado's bunker, TJ's doghouse, and, er.... Crammyboy's cock?

lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 27, 03:13:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, dear, I had hoped to not have to say this, but.... Lmao!

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 27, 03:23:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's nice that the moderator jumped in to save a thread that didn't seem to need it.  And that non-moderator, too.

I think Ameshisuto was talking about people's names because she just wants to boost her post count.  And feel important.

I don't care what people call me on a forum, as long as I can recognise it as being in reference to me.  On another forum where I was EO, someone kept calling me EQ... Never had a conniption over that.  :roll:

The paysite debate keeps degenerating into ethics, and ethics battles... not my cup of tea.  I know that not everyone agrees with my ethics, so I see no point in bringing it up more than the one time I take to express it, especially when my opinion isn't... er, in terms of the mainstream here, "correct"?

But anyway, there's a chance that I'm secretly LyricLee/HC--RetailSims lady/Rose/Peggy/my cat in disguise and through a convoluted process, will overthrow JM from here.  Or not, but the chance exists!
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 27, 04:19:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh god tl;dr on that thread.

Morality is overrated. Do whatever keeps you from slaughtering the masses and move on. I hate people who have to become the moral fucking authority on everything. They're emotionally repressed assholes who could use a good backhand to the brain.
migamoo
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 27, 05:01:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any non-paysite owner against file-sharing is just pissed they didn't think of it first.
Solowren
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 27, 05:18:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*is planning on reading the entire thread*

Interesting so far.

quoth my brother-in-law:
"Boobs are way better than video games. I don't care what game or whose boobs."
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 27, 05:28:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Aquamarine"
Oh god tl;dr on that thread.

Morality is overrated. Do whatever keeps you from slaughtering the masses and move on. I hate people who have to become the moral fucking authority on everything. They're emotionally repressed assholes who could use a good backhand to the brain.

Mmm I don't mind when others find morality or God in not doing or doing certain things.  That part is fine.  I just dislike when they try to change the actions of OTHERS because of THEIR morals.  This is something that pisses me off to no end, with paysite lemmings and the real world.  

It's just a completely retarded argument, as morality is not a subjective term that you can just throw around wherever you please.  If you find filesharing wrong, if you can't sleep with yourself at night for doing it, then I don't think you should.  However I can, and have no moral or emotional issues in doing so, and no one has any place to tell me not to, save EA games.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 27, 06:26:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I'm a university ethics teacher, so I know quite a bit about ethics.

The "moral argument" relies on subjective ethics - which is relative to your ethical standpoint.  For example, there is a system of ethics known as Individual ethical egoism, which states that everyone else should do what I want.  So under this system of ethics, it is permissible to force paysites to give you their content for free.  Then there is Nicomachean ethics, which states that if you are a good person, with values like loyalty etc. that everything you do is morally correct (because what sticky choices a good person makes must be correct, because they are a good person).

People talk about "morals" as if there is a standard that everyone follows and that just isn't true.  Nor is there one system of ethics.  So technically, everyone can be "morally right" and still disagree.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 27, 06:28:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
Actually, I'm a university ethics teacher, so I know quite a bit about ethics.

The "moral argument" relies on subjective ethics - which is relative to your ethical standpoint.  For example, there is a system of ethics known as Individual ethical egoism, which states that everyone else should do what I want.  So under this system of ethics, it is permissible to force paysites to give you their content for free.  Then there is Nicomachean ethics, which states that if you are a good person, with values like loyalty etc. that everything you do is morally correct (because what sticky choices a good person makes must be correct, because they are a good person).

People talk about "morals" as if there is a standard that everyone follows and that just isn't true.  Nor is there one system of ethics.  So technically, everyone can be "morally right" and still disagree.

Hence war.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
FatedCircle
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 27, 06:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh...speaking of boolprop.com...

They've recently started turning to their flock of mostly teenaged members for donations to cover their $200 per month hosting fees.  Yes...I said per month.  I'm thinking $200 a month would get me a decent car, not to mention I don't like the thought of exploiting the naivety of teenaged kids.  Do I think they're being ripped off?  Hell yes.  Don't try to tell them that though, they'll defend their ways until they're blue in the face.  Precious group, ain't they?
caryse
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 27, 06:39:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't even have a clue what the site is, but I'm sure enjoying jumping into the debate.

C.

----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GL !d s--:+ a- C+++ U P L+ E? W++ N o? K? w-- O? M-- V? PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP t !5 !X R tv+ b++++ !DI D- G++ e* h---- r+++ x+++**
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Solowren
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 27, 06:47:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "caryse"
I don't even have a clue what the site is, but I'm sure enjoying jumping into the debate.

C.

I can tell. ;O

quoth my brother-in-law:
"Boobs are way better than video games. I don't care what game or whose boobs."
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 27, 07:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hopefully my "no one else does this, Simmers are being hoodwinked" will make a nice point...

However, if that Kaibon keeps randomly using the Japanese pronoun for "you," I will pitch a bitchfit.

That's what "anata" means, and that's why you assumed she was accusing someone else of rolling eyes at her, I suppose.  She keeps randomly saying it and it makes absolutely no sense.

What's with the first name-ish usage over there, anyway?  Anywhere else on the internet, it's ridiculously rude to just assume you can use someone's first name.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: