PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 05:17:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free  (Read 33766 times)
TheCuddlyOne
Landlubber

View Profile
Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free
« Reply #120 on: 2007 August 28, 02:31:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with what calaliy said.  If Peggy packed up and left, big deal.  We still have Nouk.  (Actually we all prefer Nouk).  If Carla Niven closes shop then we still have 2-for-u.  If Simslice decided to pull the plug then we can always turn to Pes, twojeffs and crammyboy (who have a wider variety of hacks and mods anyway).

When one door closes another opens and when one narcissistic creator pitches a hissy fit and takes up their toys and goes home then there will be at least two other creators willing to step up to the plate to fill their shoes.

You can find free varieties of pay files if you just look hard enough.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2007 August 28, 02:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2-f0r-u?  Chriko?

They're a paysite, are they not?  Pick another example, like All About Style.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: 2007 August 28, 03:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but All About Style is good.  Cheesy

I don't even bother to replace one creator with another - Nouk and Peggy can't be compared IMO.  And if Nouk had to go to take care of something, or had a baby, or even stormed off in a huff after seeing one of her creations on a fat sim - I've already got what Nouk made, and even if I don't - I'm going to live without it.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2007 August 28, 04:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
...or even stormed off in a huff after seeing one of her creations on a fat sim...

It's been so long since anyone referenced that, I forgot who started it.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2007 August 28, 05:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "TheCuddlyOne"

When one door closes another opens and when one narcissistic creator pitches a hissy fit and takes up their toys and goes home then there will be at least two other creators willing to step up to the plate to fill their shoes.

That's pretty much how I look at it. It's been ridicules how some creators(both talented and not) have milked the sims community for every last bit of attention they could get. Not long ago all a creator had to do was pop into a forum and threaten to quit creating, and a shameless grovel fest would ensue.  Posters would slather them with praise and often times literally beg for them to reconsider. You still see that happening but (and I'd like to think that Pescado's site has helped) it is getting better. the attitude seems to be slowly shifting to a much more reasonable; " If you want to leave, then leave. Sorry things didn't work out".

In fact, I wonder if the bizarre atmosphere that surrounds this community might be keeping even BETTER potential creators from wanting to get involved.
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2007 August 28, 05:37:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got a letter back from Numenor, I never got the impression he was looking for us to grovel at his feet. He even said he agrees believe it or not with the reason his item is in the booty. It's the rule for why it has to be in the booty he is concerned with. Anyway it was a nice letter. He seems like a good man.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: 2007 August 28, 06:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "HawkGirl"
I got a letter back from Numenor, I never got the impression he was looking for us to grovel at his feet. He even said he agrees believe it or not with the reason his item is in the booty. It's the rule for why it has to be in the booty he is concerned with. Anyway it was a nice letter. He seems like a good man.

*I never said that Numenor wanted us to grovel - my personal judgement on him will come when he actually does something*.

This is still confusing.  :?  He agrees with it being in the booty, but doesn't understand why the rules are the way they are?  If he wants to make exceptions that he deems worthy that's a headache too.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2007 August 28, 06:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I often have problems understanding what Numenor says. I wonder how much of this has been due to mistranslation and misrepresentation.

HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2007 August 28, 08:26:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"

*I never said that Numenor wanted us to grovel - my personal judgement on him will come when he actually does something*.

This is still confusing.  :?  He agrees with it being in the booty, but doesn't understand why the rules are the way they are?  If he wants to make exceptions that he deems worthy that's a headache too.

Oh no, I think I need to say this is just a general statement. I never meant for it to be directed at you or anyone else. Honest. Just a statement on what we were all talking about and what so many creators do expect. It was just  feeling I got from his email back to me, that he wasn't looking for us to praise him or grovel at his feet. I know there are a lot that do expect that, or they pack up their toys and go into the Sims Twilight Zone. He didn't say who he deemed worthy or not, he just felt if we don't allow any room, we may end up defeating our purpose in the long run basically.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: 2007 August 28, 08:34:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Allowing "room" is what got us to this point in the first place.  EA said sites could take monetary donations to pay for bandwidth, and now we have people making tons of money off the content.

Unfortunately, this is still the fault of the people who are taking advantage, not those who are putting up the booty.

I know I'm preaching to the choir in HERE, but that's so easily countered.  It would be counter productive if paysites were still in the early stages, but at this point the entire gifts for donations idea has been corrupted past the point of no return in this community, so a hardline stance on filesharing is necessary.  Otherwise, there is no point to doing it like this--in your face, not behind closed doors in a private forum--at all.
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2007 August 28, 09:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh no, I think I need to say this is just a general statement. I never meant for it to be directed at you or anyone else. Honest. Just a statement on what we were all talking about and what so many creators do expect. It was just  feeling I got from his email back to me, that he wasn't looking for us to praise him or grovel at his feet. I know there are a lot that do expect that, or they pack up their toys and go into the Sims Twilight Zone. He didn't say who he deemed worthy or not, he just felt if we don't allow any room, we may end up defeating our purpose in the long run basically.

I wasn't thinking that you were saying that  Cheesy Don't worry.  I just meant that we can read all kinds of intent into this poll, but it's moot until he does it.  Plenty of paysite owners do play the drama queen - but that doesn't mean that Numenor will.

I would be kinda unsurprised if he did throw a hissy fit - mainly due to his polls - which are heavily slanted towards what he wants us to think.  But I don't expect him to.  Numenor has always struck me as a little more firmly hinged than that.

As for who he deemed worthy to the whole thing - he's already named Vita Sims (who I've read is one of the most expensive paysites) and others.  He wants us to draw a wishy washy line - and as Quinctia says that's what got us here in the first place.

Visit Calalilysims

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 2007 August 28, 19:32:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Numenor is nice.  He's helped me with things, when all I'd asked was for permission to use some of his objects for repositories.  But I think that, while he has very good english, sometimes its forgotten that its not his native language.

And considering the misunderstandings two people speaking the same language can have, its no wonder there can be problems when one or all people in a discussion don't speak the language its in natively.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2007 August 28, 20:10:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree but I don't think I'm "misunderstanding" his feelings at all.  :? And I've had enough of creators who want support for having their things "stolen".  :roll: Sorry, but that's the way it reads to me.  Cheesy

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 2007 August 28, 22:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, hell, I know Numenor's not ridiculously overprotective of his stuff--really, as I'm prepping lots for upload, I'm loving his and MaryLou's policies on build stuff redistribution.  And I try to respect creator's wishes about that kind of thing when I'm making stuff to share.

I just wish he wasn't so butthurt about the sharing of the tanning bed, because it's not actually about him, it never was about him, and I just wish he had the understanding to see that, instead of trying to construe it to being about him.  I highly doubt that item being in the booty will affect the amount of his donations one way or the other--since I doubt that people really donated FOR his item in the first place.

So why be offended about it?
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: 2007 August 29, 00:39:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Paden"
Lorelei, I raided and got some of your stuff, I liked the look of it and it works fine in my game. Thank you!

That makes me very happy. Yay! I am glad you like it.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: