PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 11:38:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Pirates Baaad, TSR Good
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pirates Baaad, TSR Good  (Read 12884 times)
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
Re: Pirates Baaad, TSR Good
« Reply #15 on: 2008 April 30, 01:18:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the beauty of threads here.  They can go off topic but they can be brought back to topic just as easily.   So for future reference, even if you see that a thread has gone off topic, post what you have there that's of relevance to the original topic.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 April 30, 01:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Agreed. We never mind gentle nudges back to topic.

It's really sad when organizations of any form refuse to entertain debate - I've seen it in companies I've worked for, a theatre company I worked in, and a handful of forums. When you squelch dissent and debate, you wind up getting MORE problems, defectors, splinter groups, and sometimes you wind up crumbling completely.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Bella the Paysite Slayer
Landlubber

T$R's Worst Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 April 30, 03:10:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here! Here! I've been blacklisted on T$R just for *breathing* "PMBD"!  And in the TS1 section!

Fortunately, all of T$R's TS1 stuff is free now, so I don't have to give those greedy b*stards $$$ to get stuff from them (Which is good, since a lot of their TS1 stuff is utter shite, stuff that isn't worth their insanely astronomical subscription price!).  However, I truly feel bad for you TS2 Simmers, who have to pay for practically EVERYTHING on T$R!

But, still, T$R sucks! Most of their downloads (TS1 and TS2) aren't worth the price and their moderators (TS1 and TS2) are the biggest jerks on the planet.  I've read posts in the TS1 forum where moderators have insanely blasted posters for doing something as simple as correcting another poster's posting errors (Usually giving a replly along the lines of "I'M THE MODERATOR AND YOU'RE NOT, SO SHUT UP AND LET ME DO MY JOB!!!!!!").

They can't continue to stifle protest like this much longer.  It will eventually come back to bite them on the a$$...
Charity_Bonney
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 April 30, 03:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bella, love your user name.

I will keep the on-topic issue in mind when posting here.
TimeStop
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 April 30, 23:02:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can't continue to stifle protest like this much longer.  It will eventually come back to bite them on the a$$...

the sad thing is that actually, they can. Because sites like TSR just ban everyone who disagrees with them until there is no one left willing to speak. And then they take all the sheep left and have a nice little tea party. Sites like TSR just charge for each teaspoon of sugar on top of the cost of your teabag.
Charlotte
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 April 30, 23:04:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will keep the on-topic issue in mind when posting here.

Lol, are you talking about this site Huh

Bella the Paysite Slayer
Landlubber

T$R's Worst Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 May 01, 03:06:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wanna' hear something rather shocking?  T$R, many moons ago, used to be a free site! Shocked  Also was $im Freak$ and many others, for that matter.  Just type both into the Wayback Machine, and look at the archives from around 2000-2001 to see for yourselves.  Isn't it kinda' sad, in a way, that the Simming World's 2 nastiest totalitarian paysite regimes started out as rather innocuous free sites?

the sad thing is that actually, they can. Because sites like TSR just ban everyone who disagrees with them until there is no one left willing to speak. And then they take all the sheep left and have a nice little tea party. Sites like TSR just charge for each teaspoon of sugar on top of the cost of your teabag.

Why be so negative, TimeStop.  By unleashing their KGB, uh, moderators, on every little dissident they can root out, enough dissidents will rise up and potentially overthrow T$R's Premiere, eh, owner, henceforth toppling the United $im$ Re$ource $ociali$t Republics (The U$$R.  Not to be confused with the USSR, the totalitarian commie empire. Wink).

Want to see the KGB in action?  Go to TSR's TS1 forums and go to the general discussion section.  Read the thread entitled, "Paysites?".  There, you will find the KGB and brainwashed U$$R citizens blasting my (I'm #1_TS1_Fan) perfectly sane arguments for downloading equality.  Heck, I'm surprised I haven't gotten banned for igniting that battle!
Charity_Bonney
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 May 01, 04:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember well when tsr was free, I first signed up once they started requiring logins to download.... That was a few years before TS2.

Those were the days, the were much like MtS2 in their wanting to foster friendship and community, all for free. Then someone got greedy.  Roll Eyes  Greed destroyed that community, turned it into a totalitarian state.
uknortherner
ARR!

Wherever I lay my hat... That's my home.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 May 01, 13:51:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember the days when TSR were free as well. They would often spend more time offline than on, but it was a huge site and usually the first place any new Sims player went to for downloads - until they saw how much crap there was and went to Livin-It-Up instead!

Then they went pay, locked down all the downloads and profited off free submissions to the site. I don't recall when the FA element came into it because I had long stopped going there until around a year ago.

The preceding message does not contain the following: Crappy poetry; song lyrics from really obscure bands; 12ish netspk; random confusion over "there", "their" and "they're"; aLtCaPs; superspeshulsnowflaekeness or any other glitter-filled bollocks.
Pooki
ARR!

Still Alive!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 May 01, 14:43:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Way back during Sims 1 days I remember going to TSR.  I managed to navigate through the crap for all of 10 minutes and then decided there wasn't anything that I wanted to subscribe for it all looked horrible.  At the time I thought that paysites were normal and I had subscribed to Simshost (the horror!) I actually liked Candace's Sim Bazaar.  I had heard about file sharing back then but it was only mumbled about and I wasn't very active on forums. I am still very grateful for finding this place. Death to TSR.

Snarky's mine despite obvious complications.
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2008 May 01, 15:40:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They all started out free w/TS1, it was right out of the chute w/paysites and TS2.  Slippery slopes aren't a cliche for nothing.

I had gigantic quantities of CC for TS1, all from the many, many free sites.  Never had to pay a thing - and that was without filesharing.

Salad days.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
Bella the Paysite Slayer
Landlubber

T$R's Worst Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 May 04, 00:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember well when tsr was free, I first signed up once they started requiring logins to download.... That was a few years before TS2.

Those were the days, the were much like MtS2 in their wanting to foster friendship and community, all for free. Then someone got greedy.  Roll Eyes  Greed destroyed that community, turned it into a totalitarian state.

In a way, it's kinda' sad how far T$R has gone downhill; it's quite indicative of how badly the TS1 community has deteriorated over the years.  T$R was, indeed, "Mod the Sims 1" back in its earliest years, back in the days when the TS1 community was a community.  Of course, T$R got greedy and began sucking up $$$ for (mostly) crummy downloads.  This was in around 2001 or 2002, I believe.  Then, TS2 came out and T$R pretty much threw TS1 out like yesterday's garbage; Thoma$$ had found a new cash cow to milk the p*ss out of.  During this time, the TS1 files became free (again), most likely because Thoma$$ felt that TS1 wasn't economically viable for him anymore (*Sarcasm*"C'mon! Who plays boring, fugly TS1 anymore?"*Sarcasm*).  Today, the TS1 section of T$R has that eerie "dead mall" (ie: the "T$R Ghetto") feel to it at times, the last remaining remnants of an once innocuous free site.   

And history's liable to repeat itself again.  I'm sure T$R's going to do another massive website overhaul again the very second TS3 comes out, creating an entire new section of rip off downloads and heavily-censored forums, henceforth, shoving TS2 into the "T$R Ghetto" with the sickly TS1.  TS2 will suddenly become "boring, lame, and obsolete" and will be the butt of every T$R creator's jokes (they'd all be creating TS3 rip off stuff by then).

T$R represents something far more insidious than paysite evil.  It represents the kind of Simmer that doesn't care about the Sims at all.  The type of Simmer that creates only for profit and not for the love for the game.  The type of Simmer that ditches their old Sims game immediately when something shinier and newer comes out instead of just playing the Sims game they love best, whether it be TS1, TS2, or both.  This type of mentality is something that'll hopefully be destroyed along with paysites.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 May 04, 00:27:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The people who run TSR do not play the game, so calling them Simmers is a gross overstatement. They are people with the full intention of milking cash, they went into it with their wallets fully open.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Bella the Paysite Slayer
Landlubber

T$R's Worst Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 May 04, 04:39:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The people who run TSR do not play the game, so calling them Simmers is a gross overstatement. They are people with the full intention of milking cash, they went into it with their wallets fully open.

I didn't call them Simmers.  I was referring to the retarded sheep that pay them $$$$ and the scam artists that create there as "Simmers" and how T$R expouses their money-grubbing, apathetc, fickle mentality towards the Sims in an allegorical sense.  Besides, these type of "Simmers" are Simmers in a very loosely-defined way, because they don't care about the Sims at all.  Their main concerns are $$$$ and having the newest, latest version of the Sims (So they can reap the most $$$$ and/or be the "kewlest" Simmer.). 
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 May 04, 07:36:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a way, it's kinda' sad how far T$R has gone downhill...

And history's liable to repeat itself again.  I'm sure T$R's going to do another massive website overhaul again the very second TS3 comes out, creating an entire new section of rip off downloads and heavily-censored forums, henceforth, shoving TS2 into the "T$R Ghetto" with the sickly TS1.  TS2 will suddenly become "boring, lame, and obsolete" and will be the butt of every T$R creator's jokes (they'd all be creating TS3 rip off stuff by then).

T$R represents something far more insidious than paysite evil.  It represents the kind of Simmer that doesn't care about the Sims at all.  The type of Simmer that creates only for profit and not for the love for the game.  The type of Simmer that ditches their old Sims game immediately when something shinier and newer comes out instead of just playing the Sims game they love best, whether it be TS1, TS2, or both.  This type of mentality is something that'll hopefully be destroyed along with paysites.

Couldn't have said it better. Wink It's not the violation of the EULA that makes sites like TSR so repugnant to me (although that is undeniably shitty), but the fact that they don't care about anything but money. The game was raped and left on the roadside a long time ago, and subscribers are being fed on like the victims of vampires. I also hope that, like you said, this sort of attitude will eventually be weeded out as more and more players become aware of how they are being taken advantage of.
« Last Edit: 2008 May 04, 21:54:16 by glasscigarette » Logged

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: