PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 00:27:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Take a look at this!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Take a look at this!  (Read 72429 times)
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #30 on: 2007 August 14, 04:53:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MIKEY"

Gee, how did I know that was coming...

MIKEY!!!

Mikey they had the prime opportunity to say no file sharing and they didn't.

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #31 on: 2007 August 14, 04:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see it as condoning paysites or denouncing filesharing or doing anything but making sure the EA weinerdogs are well out of any fight about it.  It's just ironic that the previous EULAs (for these two things that have changed EULAs) meant nothing before but everything now.  It sounds like an admission of guilt or at least acknowledgement of violating those EULAs in the past.

But quite possibly any EULA is going to be the least of a pay for content site's worries - for me this has always been a consumer issue rather than a legal issue.  It's quite possible that customers will now very much expect more from paysites in regards to customer service than ever before.  People are much more aware of the shenanigans some sites get up to, so the true butthurt may just be beginning there, likely expanding into site vs. site if everyone's going to get deadly serious about violating each other's terms of use and such.  The slavering reactions from pro-pay posters I saw over at Sc2 were a real turn-off even if I weren't pro-free, and like the attacks on MST2 finances, may very well drive people to support a freesite more than ever.

I think paysites may have had it better when they just had to suffer people bitching about them in forums and offering them ways to go free.  *shrug*

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #32 on: 2007 August 14, 05:06:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay.  Shot in the dark here...but I'm getting the feeling that no one went over to the NeptuneSuzy thread and read my post(s) there?

I'm feeling under appreciated.  I may cry, even...

MIKEY!!!
"If yer not 1st. Yer last"

IKEY!!!
~~So I don't have to repeat myself; I have issues with the means by which you folks make your point known, as well as try to pressure your wishes into being~~
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #33 on: 2007 August 14, 05:15:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, Mikey.  I just don't have the inclination to go to every thread to see if you've posted in it.

"It's just ironic that the previous EULAs (for these two things that have changed EULAs) meant nothing before but everything now."

Yes, funny how that works out.
MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #34 on: 2007 August 14, 05:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
Sorry, Mikey.  I just don't have the inclination to go to every thread to see if you've posted in it.

OK.

IKEY!!!
~~So I don't have to repeat myself; I have issues with the means by which you folks make your point known, as well as try to pressure your wishes into being~~
mando
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #35 on: 2007 August 14, 05:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry MIKEY, I actually don't think this changed EULA is a total give to the paysites (I'll have to read it another 5 or 6 times to be sure), although I will admit it's a bit easier on them than the last. It still says that you can't sell the software, and that you do not have rights over EA's copyrights (ahem, code and the like, for example). Plus, they haven't come out against filesharing either, so we're still not thieves, I'm afraid. Reads to me more like they are unwilling to pick either side, and so are coasting through the middle in the hopes of not having to deal with any of it.
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #36 on: 2007 August 14, 05:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay.  Shot in the dark here...but I'm getting the feeling that no one went over to the NeptuneSuzy thread and read my post(s) there?

MIKEY!!!

Mikey dear please quit whining, it is really unbecoming.

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #37 on: 2007 August 14, 05:22:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Bigtruckgirl"

MIKEY!!!

Mikey dear please quit whining, it is really unbecoming.

Awwwww...I was only teasin'...LOL

IKEY!!!
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #38 on: 2007 August 14, 05:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awwwww...I was only teasin'...LOL

OK as long as it was just teasing. BUT with your new Av, I find it hard to believe it was only teasing. LMAO

MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #39 on: 2007 August 14, 05:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "mando"
Sorry MIKEY, I actually don't think this changed EULA is a total give to the paysites (I'll have to read it another 5 or 6 times to be sure), although I will admit it's a bit easier on them than the last. It still says that you can't sell the software, and that you do not have rights over EA's copyrights (ahem, code and the like, for example). Plus, they haven't come out against filesharing either, so we're still not thieves, I'm afraid. Reads to me more like they are unwilling to pick either side, and so are coasting through the middle in the hopes of not having to deal with any of it.

Exactly, Mando.  I agree with you.  The "SOFTWARE" cannot be resold, etc...But it specifically cites the software and content are 2 separate entities.  Thus you can sell the game, the tools, or reverse-engineer either, etc...but you can do what you will with the custom content made with the tools.

I also agree that they have not directly come out against file-sharing, however I do believe that your own folks said the only reason that the booty existed was because paysites were illegal and wrong.  That has changed now.

And I agree that EA took that stand for a reason.  But the reason was money.  They don't want the full wrath of either side affecting their salaries and bonuses.

EDIT: BTG, I hope no one takes offense at my little pirate avatar.  I just thought it was funny and wanted to share it...

IKEY!!!
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #40 on: 2007 August 14, 05:34:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see here and on SC2 some things that are not understood.

1.Paysites should not be dancing yet, especially small sites. The US Copyright office told me (sorry not on my main computer where the email is but i posted it in another thread in the forum). That the Copyright holder EA, can only make changes as the paysite files are considered deriviatives, and issue licenses. Sims 2 is a franchised, trademarked. They are more that likely going to sell franchise rights to TSR.In other words $$$$$$ will be exchanged, subscriptions and all will be higher. Small sites that dont have the $$$$$ for the license will be illegal.

2. Paysite owners cannot copyright their package files. They are not copyrightable once they are in a package file.

3. Since EA is just changing the rules now, any file sharing till we see the final announcement from them is not illegal. It would not stand in court.  Parysites are working with a deriviative, it is not the same as the music or movie or software industries that hold the original copyright all along.

Lastly not everything has been disclosed. It may not be a total victory for Paysites. From TSR wording, Im sure there will be official posting explaining in detail more or less everything. And EA could do a partial victory for both sides.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #41 on: 2007 August 14, 05:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: BTG, I hope no one takes offense at my little pirate avatar.  I just thought it was funny and wanted to share it...

I don't but you might get called whiny again. LOL

MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #42 on: 2007 August 14, 05:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Bigtruckgirl"

I don't but you might get called whiny again. LOL

I got a joke for you before I go to bed...

Why do pirates wear such big fuckin' hats?

So when it's cold they can pull it down over their buccaneers!

IKEY!!!
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #43 on: 2007 August 14, 05:49:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got a joke for you before I go to bed...

Why do pirates wear such big fuckin' hats?

So when it's cold they can pull it down over their buccaneers!

Mikey, do not quite your day job. A comedian you are not. LOL

mando
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #44 on: 2007 August 14, 05:55:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly, Mando.  I agree with you.  The "SOFTWARE" cannot be resold, etc...But it specifically cites the software and content are 2 separate entities.  Thus you can sell the game, the tools, or reverse-engineer either, etc...but you can do what you will with the custom content made with the tools.

I also agree that they have not directly come out against file-sharing, however I do believe that your own folks said the only reason that the booty existed was because paysites were illegal and wrong.  That has changed now.

And I agree that EA took that stand for a reason.  But the reason was money.  They don't want the full wrath of either side affecting their salaries and bonuses.

Actually you will note though that it does still say that you don't have any rights over EA's copyrights. Most Sims CC does contain some (or a lot) of EA's copyrighted work. Just something to think about.

I don't consider this EULA change a gigantic give to paysites. I'm with you in that I agree that it's simply a way to not have to take a side (thus not alienating anyone and not have to risk losing potential profits).

I still believe that paysites are wrong and shouldn't be supported by the community at large, no matter how EA is deciding to waffle about on the issue. While this EULA doesn't explicitly say that paysites are wrong, it also isn't clear from it that they are right either (lack of clarity as per usual from EA :wink: ). As well, Pescado only hosts the booty because it causes butthurt on a semi-massive scale and not for any moral reasons (although others here, as individuals, have their own reasons for supporting it, of course).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: