PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 15:39:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ea Games...let them do their job!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ea Games...let them do their job!  (Read 20739 times)
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Ea Games...let them do their job!
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 25, 04:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, it's not just about the whole OMG FREE SHIT YEEEEEEE (although that seems to be the general reaction, and only because none of this was ever made available to them before).  I personally haven't looked at any of the stuff I downloaded because I don't have my game on me until we get a house, but there's a handful of people who have posted on the forum stating that they either deleted a lot of, if not all of, or simply store out of spite on their computer the content they downloaded here.  Why?  Because it sucked.  And since I downloaded so much, I can only assume that I'll be looking at all kinds of little errors and crap that bring down the quality of the the item.  I'm not jealous of the items, and even if I was stupid enough to pay, my dad would figuratively smack some sense into me about paying for that shit.

Why hate on the poor people?  Maybe they are trying to get out there and make some money so they got a couple of bucks to put towards something nice, who are barely making ends meet with the cash they got now.  No one should have to pay for someone else's hobby based on a video game.  And why hate on the kids that have parents that don't want money going towards paysites?  If I cared enough to ask my dad to foot the bill for a subscription to Peggy, he would figuratively smack sense into me and tell me it's not worth it for that kind of thing (and it's not that he's cheap--he's bought me some weird things over the years that I randomly ask for).

I could just as easily make do with all the free stuff that's already available (because I like to keep a teeny downloads folder, so I'm constantly pruning).  But since PSMBD is here, and I don't care either way how content comes up as long as it's properly credited (because I like to keep up-to-date on nice creations from talented CC creators) and not attached with malware, I'll keep downloading from here and I still am able to sleep at night.  Or during the day, as it is during the week-end.  Tongue

Edited because homophones are crazy.
Amy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 25, 04:20:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's all I wanted to hear!  :wink:

I don't blame kids or people that don't have a lot of money. But reading, the paystuff are now free at PSMBD was for me like ''hey they forgot to lock the door of their house''. But to steal something already stole, I think it make sense and it's not like stealing anymore. I think it is a good thing to inform people of the real thing. That's it!
Pariland
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 25, 07:02:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And you can't compare files with t-shirts. When you buy something at the store and you decide to give it to somebody else. The only person who is going to own it, is the person that you gave this item. If I give you a file, and you give it to somebody else, we can be 1 million to own this file.

Don't compare apples with oranges. Don't you remember Napster?

Napster is not a good comparison either.  That was a direct fight with the record labels who owned the rights to the music being distributed illegally.  EA Games holds the rights here, and have given the green light to redistributing files in a non-profit format.

Now the paysites on the other hand...

They have taken the proverbial logo t-shirt, scribbled some things around the logo, and are calling it their own while claiming exclusive rights.  Then they turn around and do the one thing they were asked not to by the copyright holder - redistribute the t-shirt for profit.

you cannot claim rights to something that someone else (EA Games) already owns.  Don't believe me?  Just ask someone who's had the misfortune of a run-in with Mattel or Disney for copyright infringement.  Or ask HChangeri at the New and Improved Integrity Free Retail Sims.  She tried to claim exclusive rights to the Krispy Kreme logo and got her ass handed to her by their legal department.

Paysite owners (and creators in general) are subject to the terms of EA games, not whatever terms they feel like making up on the spot.  If they want to retain the rights to their work (photoskinning, blatant recoloring, claiming credit for non-sim mesher's work, and frankenmeshing of Maxis mesh parts excluded - none of that is their work), do not use the package files.  Sell your "independent" meshes at Turbosquid or your texture files at Deviant Art.
Amy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 25, 07:11:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pariland"

Napster is not a good comparison either.  That was a direct fight with the record labels who owned the rights to the music being distributed illegally.  EA Games holds the rights here, and have given the green light to redistributing files in a non-profit format.

Now the paysites on the other hand...

They have taken the proverbial logo t-shirt, scribbled some things around the logo, and are calling it their own while claiming exclusive rights.  Then they turn around and do the one thing they were asked not to by the copyright holder - redistribute the t-shirt for profit.

you cannot claim rights to something that someone else (EA Games) already owns.  Don't believe me?  Just ask someone who's had the misfortune of a run-in with Mattel or Disney for copyright infringement.  Or ask HChangeri at the New and Improved Integrity Free Retail Sims.  She tried to claim exclusive rights to the Krispy Kreme logo and got her ass handed to her by their legal department.

Paysite owners (and creators in general) are subject to the terms of EA games, not whatever terms they feel like making up on the spot.  If they want to retain the rights to their work (photoskinning, blatant recoloring, claiming credit for non-sim mesher's work, and frankenmeshing of Maxis mesh parts excluded - none of that is their work), do not use the package files.  Sell your "independent" meshes at Turbosquid or your texture files at Deviant Art.

What I wanted to say, it's that Napster was sharing files...that's it. It's not like giving a cd to someone..you know. I totally agree with you for all the points!
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 25, 07:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Harley Davidson lawyers go after little garage sale leather workers who put the Harley logo on handmade wallets.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 25, 12:41:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
You know, it's not just about the whole OMG FREE SHIT YEEEEEEE (although that seems to be the general reaction, and only because none of this was ever made available to them before).  I personally haven't looked at any of the stuff I downloaded because I don't have my game on me until we get a house, but there's a handful of people who have posted on the forum stating that they either deleted a lot of, if not all of, or simply store out of spite on their computer the content they downloaded here.  Why?  Because it sucked.  And since I downloaded so much, I can only assume that I'll be looking at all kinds of little errors and crap that bring down the quality of the the item.  I'm not jealous of the items, and even if I was stupid enough to pay, my dad would figuratively smack some sense into me about paying for that shit.

Why hate on the poor people?  Maybe they are trying to get out there and make some money so they got a couple of bucks to put towards something nice, who are barely making ends meet with the cash they got now.  No one should have to pay for someone else's hobby based on a video game.  And why hate on the kids that have parents that don't want money going towards paysites?  If I cared enough to ask my dad to foot the bill for a subscription to Peggy, he would figuratively smack sense into me and tell me it's not worth it for that kind of thing (and it's not that he's cheap--he's bought me some weird things over the years that I randomly ask for).

I could just as easily make do with all the free stuff that's already available (because I like to keep a teeny downloads folder, so I'm constantly pruning).  But since PSMBD is here, and I don't care either way how content comes up as long as it's properly credited (because I like to keep up-to-date on nice creations from talented CC creators) and not attached with malware, I'll keep downloading from here and I still am able to sleep at night.  Or during the day, as it is during the week-end.  Tongue

Edited because homophones are crazy.

Ditto. Especially the dad smacking some sense in you part.

Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 25, 17:39:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Plum"
Quote from: "Feverish"
And if on my way home I happen to meet some nice fella who wants to give me stuff for free, then I'll take it.

:shock:

:lol:
That is so NOT what I meant.
I meant that I would rather have stuff for free than pay for it.

Quote from: "Amy"

I hope for you that is not going to be an old nasty men who wants to give you his candy lol I'll have to call you OpenHouseJack then...

*insert projectile vomiting here*
I'm not a prostitute.
And I wouldn't want a dirty jock strap even if it was free!
But thanks for your concern.  :wink:

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
Amy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 25, 17:49:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Feverish"

*insert projectile vomiting here*
I'm not a prostitute.
And I wouldn't want a dirty jock strap even if it was free!
But thanks for your concern.  :wink:

I was scared for a minute, now I'm reassure!  :wink:
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 25, 20:41:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Openhousejack would surely become quite the bitch, if you horned in on his prostitution and jockstrap racket...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 26, 17:46:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why I love this site - it makes everyone conform to the legal rules agreed to when you first installed everything:

You may include materials created with the Tools & Materials on your personal noncommercial website for the noncommercial benefit of the fan community for EA’s products and provided that if you do so, you must also post the following notice on your site on the same web page(s) where those materials are located:  "This site is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors.

EA obviously believes that they are the only ones entitled to make money out of it, as they invented it, and therefore, I will not pay someone who uses free tools and other free things to make something and have me pay for the privilege.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 26, 18:11:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I pretended I cared about EA, I'd be lying. EA is a horrible company. It's not about their EULA for me, it's about smacking down greedy people. Game mods should always live free.

Solowren
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 26, 20:07:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "neriana"
If I pretended I cared about EA, I'd be lying. EA is a horrible company. It's not about their EULA for me, it's about smacking down greedy people. Game mods should always live free.

Word, homie. Cool

quoth my brother-in-law:
"Boobs are way better than video games. I don't care what game or whose boobs."
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2006 November 26, 22:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA is greedy people.  You should see the notice they added to Battlefield 2142.  *gag*

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 November 27, 02:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could google it. But I be lazy and also technically working on a paper. What's the notice?

Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2006 November 27, 03:17:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After you open the game there's a notice stating that installing the game will install spyware on your computer.  Besides that they're running with this new "buy items for games" thing with games other than The Sims.  You can buy new guns for Battlefield 2!  Ridiculous.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: