PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:56:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Alice Fashion -- Dead/News
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Alice Fashion -- Dead/News  (Read 32926 times)
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
Re: Alice Fashion -- Dead/News
« Reply #120 on: 2008 February 14, 00:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One day in 3rd grade (USA public school) our teacher introduced her new volunteer Teacher's Assistant.
It... was... my... mom! I took so much crap over it that it almost seems funny now. Kids can be so cruel.
 Grin

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2008 February 14, 04:14:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One day in 3rd grade (USA public school) our teacher introduced her new volunteer Teacher's Assistant.
It... was... my... mom! I took so much crap over it that it almost seems funny now. Kids can be so cruel.
 Grin

Ha, ha! Poor Lemmiwinks! My mom was the substitute for my class for a week when I was in 5th grade. Fortunately, I was easy going enough to not register anything greater than shrugged shoulders and an "eh". Of course, this was the one year for me where the most important project for the class was to learn all the words to the song "Superstar" by Abba. Grin
Druid
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2008 February 14, 10:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Belgian it isn't standard at all. Hasn't been sine the sixties. Atheism rules supreme here, religion (chistianity especially) is regarded as something for old folks and idiots. And the reason I personally like to know these things is so that children who aren't from white atheist families (who were born in another country, speak other languages at home, actively practice a religion etc.) can tell the other children about it and we can discuss it. Older classes only of course, but it's usually a lot of fun for all involved.
(Do keep in mind I'm not a teacher just yet. I'm talking internships here. Wouldn't ant to give anyone the wrong impression)

I just laughed thinking about if i had gone up to one of my old teachers, and said "I'm Catholic, is that going to change your teaching plans at all?" Just gave me a good tickle. And I don't know if it was just my school district, or my particular class/teacher at the time, or if it's the US in general (that I doubt), but we didn't discuss religious things outside of where it was strictly appropriate - Such as, the history class I took where we covered some major religions and how they were formed, or Civics and Economics where, obviously, politics come into play and so does religion.

It's good you're using it as a conversation starter... from the context, i thought you meant it was for a special kind of treatment.. I just imagined all the catholics grouped up in the corner of the room or something, sheltered from the rest of you.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: 2008 February 14, 12:08:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's good you're using it as a conversation starter... from the context, i thought you meant it was for a special kind of treatment.. I just imagined all the catholics grouped up in the corner of the room or something, sheltered from the rest of you.

LOL! Oh heavens no. There's been enough class wars in this country, I'm not going to start a new one by myself. No, I just feel it's a good thing to teach children that their way of doing things isn't the only way.other families do things differently. I hear it makes for more tolerant adults.
Besides that, I think it's nice to know if you're raising your kid, for example, vegetarian, so I know she's not supposed to eat meat. (Would have saved me a world of trouble if I had known that before shit hit the fan.) Different situations call for different approaches. For example, if I saw this girl have a meat sandwich, I'd ask her if her mum would approve, maybe open up a conversation about how she feels about it and why she's going against her parents' wishes. (Just using the example above, it applies to all kinds of things) It's not to single kids out and call attention to the fact that they're 'different'. It's to avoid drama.

Besides, you're not just their teacher. You're not there to stuff dry facts in their heads and bugger off. You're an authority figure. For toddlers, you're the one who knows best and can always tell them how to do things right, simply by virtue of being an adult. That is a huge responsibility and if I tell them something that goes directly against what they hear at home, that's going to upset them. I feel like I should know these kids outside the classroom. I want to know how they feel and how they react to things. And I'm not going to be able to do that if I don't know what the hell is going on with them outside of school.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 14, 12:11:13 by Devilfish » Logged

Sigmund
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2008 February 17, 17:01:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL! Oh heavens no. There's been enough class wars in this country, I'm not going to start a new one by myself. No, I just feel it's a good thing to teach children that their way of doing things isn't the only way.other families do things differently. I hear it makes for more tolerant adults.
Besides that, I think it's nice to know if you're raising your kid, for example, vegetarian, so I know she's not supposed to eat meat. (Would have saved me a world of trouble if I had known that before shit hit the fan.) Different situations call for different approaches. For example, if I saw this girl have a meat sandwich, I'd ask her if her mum would approve, maybe open up a conversation about how she feels about it and why she's going against her parents' wishes. (Just using the example above, it applies to all kinds of things) It's not to single kids out and call attention to the fact that they're 'different'. It's to avoid drama.

Besides, you're not just their teacher. You're not there to stuff dry facts in their heads and bugger off. You're an authority figure. For toddlers, you're the one who knows best and can always tell them how to do things right, simply by virtue of being an adult. That is a huge responsibility and if I tell them something that goes directly against what they hear at home, that's going to upset them. I feel like I should know these kids outside the classroom. I want to know how they feel and how they react to things. And I'm not going to be able to do that if I don't know what the hell is going on with them outside of school.

I'm also in the process of becoming a teacher here in the U.S., and agree wholeheartedly with you. Granted, my target age group is high schoolers, but the idea is still the same. There are too many teachers who just want to throw some information up on the board and go home. I've had some wonderful teachers in my own academic career, and they all expressed the same attitude that you have.

I sing along with elevator music.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: