PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 15:55:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Irony
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Irony  (Read 11501 times)
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #45 on: 2007 September 24, 02:46:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"
Maybe it's just me, but I've found the orphan scan absolutely useless.  I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid having many orphans but, of the forty or so results I get on an orphan scan (with over 9000 files in my downloads), every immediately recognizable name is something I have in my game that I like and know works.

I, too, have found the orphan scan useless. I still stick with Clean Installer and it does the trick for me. It helps that I can now read the file names and usually know what is what.

Still watching you guys
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #46 on: 2007 September 24, 10:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "SparklePlenty"
Quote from: "Quinctia"
Maybe it's just me, but I've found the orphan scan absolutely useless.  I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid having many orphans but, of the forty or so results I get on an orphan scan (with over 9000 files in my downloads), every immediately recognizable name is something I have in my game that I like and know works.

I, too, have found the orphan scan useless. I still stick with Clean Installer and it does the trick for me. It helps that I can now read the file names and usually know what is what.

Oh my gosh first time I used the orphan scanner it told me I had over 600 orphan files, I said delete all and had to go do everything again. Then, I tried it again after the update, where it put things in the recycle bin instead of just getting rid of them. Same problems. I ended up restoring almost all the files, so said no more. I'll just use clean installer. I'm with you on this.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
arina
Landlubber

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #47 on: 2007 September 24, 14:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DDO orphan scan is only good if you could probably write a list of 90%+ of your cc. Before that point, it's mostly useless, because you don't know what it's showing you. The duplicate scan is pretty good, though, especially if this attempt is your first true attempt at organising your downloads folder, and you had a few half-hearted attempts before.

I have 2204 files right now, and that's waaay too much. I feel like such a slattern Sad I used to have more than 15000, though. That was probably when I only had up to Pets installed, and that's when I started feeling the lag. I got down to 3000 before Seasons, and now Seasons is lag-free with a slightly aging computer and everything turned to max, even on big or community lots. Smiley (This last leg of the cleanout should make that an and/or. Yay!)

I recommend everyone gets and uses the Compressorizer. Don't do a whole downloads folder in one go or you might run into trouble. Divide into subfolders first, even if all you can be bothered to call them is 'section a', 'section b'...

If your downloads folder is a total mess, you may be better off blowing the lot away and starting again. If there's some sort of organisation, you can probably salvage it, even if it's just that most of your files are prefaced by the creator name. Make creator folders, then, inside those, make a CAS and a Build/Buy folder if it's applicable (and a Hacks folder, too, but I don't know of many creators who are so multi-talented... there are some, though Smiley)

Then, use a program like JDiskReport to evaluate the situation. If, for example, you have a huge Peggy folder, but hate her stuff and don't use it, what's going on? Or you might see that you have a bunch of CAS stuff when you don't care too much about your sims because your real love is decorating. This also tells you the size of these folders and the amount of files in them. Generally, the size of each creator folder, or each type folder (for example, if you decide to divide by Hair, FA Clothes, Genetics, Kitchen) should correlate to how much you like and use the stuff in it. If it doesn't, why? Look at the biggest files first - do you think they're worth how much space they take up, compared to smaller files you love? If not, delete them.

I've found that if I have doubts about something, I won't miss or even remember it when it's gone. If you have doubts about deleting it, keep it in another folder and try playing with that folder taken out. Build a house, make a family - did you miss something? If so, put it back. If not, delete it!

If you have lots of files without descriptive filenames, put them all in one folder. How many do you have? If it's about 30, I'd go through them in SimPE and work out what they are and rename them appropriately. If it's more, or however much you can't be bothered to deal with, delete them all.

After you've sorted out your CC, you can use less subfolders. I'm moving mine now to function-based folders instead of creator ones. The more files there are in a subfolder, the more I want to get rid of, so that's helping to motivate me Tongue

Once you've cleaned out your downloads, try and have some self-restraint! You might think, well, I got rid of all my crappy hairs and their orphaned meshes and recolours, but now I want some more good ones to fill it out a bit more. That's fine, obviously. But if you always hated Peggy and Rose hairs, remember that! Don't go to them! Tongue Once you're happy with the amount and choice you have, when you see a new thing you want, try and think: should I delete something to replace with this? If you can't think of one to delete, maybe you don't really want it. But if you still think, after looking for things to replace, that you want it, get it, because you probably do Smiley As long as you want it, you'll use it - and as long as you're using it, it's completely worth having!

And once you have a subfoldering system, never fall into the 'well, it's mostly sorted now, what will it hurt if I dump this one little download in the main directory?'. And then I did that once more, and, ooh, just this time 'cause I'm busy, and then again, and I had to start sorting all over again.

There are basically two ways to have a good downloads folder: you can go the 'keep the zips and the pictures, subfolder by use then creator then set then item' and the 'delete everything you're not using or using very rarely and group the rest together by something' people, which is me. You might find the other method better, though it's too much work for too little gain for me, or you might do something inbetween. Good luck Smiley (And apologies for my second essay in a week on here Tongue)
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #48 on: 2007 September 24, 15:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The duplicate scan would actually be useful if it popped up with BOTH copies of a file.  When I tried it, I only got one.  So I thought it was broken, too.  After going through with Clean Installer, I saw it was right, but I still wanted to be able to pick between the two files, which one I wanted to delete.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: