PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 16:11:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using  (Read 18927 times)
Caedre
ARR!

View Profile
How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 16, 13:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "kira"
GoDaddy is a joke in the hosting business.  I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.  All these $6 for loads of space and bandwidth are usually going to be your worst providers (ie loads of downtime, slow service, horrendous support).  Research for more than a couple hours before you decide on a host.

Well it happened that I personally didn't notice any problems with the host.
MissMuffet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 18, 07:44:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that I know that bandwith isn't as expensive as I thought I'll refrain from stating (like I've been doing for some time) that its ok to charge a minimal fee for running a site. All sites should be donation only. If you dont get enough donations to keep the site going, then as a webmaster you have the choice to pay out of the pocket and generously share with others or take the site down. These paysites act like they are being forced to keep the site online, or perhaps they are greedy and egocentric about their work?

As for godaddy, I haven't used them as a host, but I've been getting my domain names from them for years with no problem.
kissmybooty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 18, 08:40:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Food for thought...

TSR is a huge site and a lot of people pay for content (i did a few times also) now imagine if even 1/4 the members sub twice a year that site owner surely bought a new house and car and is living quite comfy. Well that is the thing that made me think twice about paysites or donation sites and honestly I have seen so many people who claim they don't ever download what they did not pay for have tons of payfiles... Therefor all these owners are probably living well. I for one will no longer support the life of leisure unless it's my own. They can work like me and get a 401k or IRA or something (whatever they might do) and save like me. I feel like the Sims is a 401k/IRA (retirement fund for those who don't know)for a lot of these people they knew eventualy this fad would have to come to an end when we came to our senses.
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 18, 08:53:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Re: Godaddy, I've been using them for quite some time now, they hosted my domain even before i was really using it for anything more substantial than a place to host shit. I have to say, I've never had any problems with them at all. I've had less downtime with them than I have at any other hosting provider, and the only issues I've had with slow speed turned out to be due to a user error (meaning I fucked it up).

Basically, Godaddy is fairly inexpensive, and it works. It doesn't have all the neat user tools that other hosts I've used featured, but I didn't really use those much anyway, I pretty much use FTP alone to get things done. It works for me.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 18, 09:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if you don't have site-making skills you don't need to pay someone to do it, just go to your c-panel (most cheap hosting places give you one) click on "fantastico" and set up a forum.   It's all automatically set up for you.  Attach your stuff to forum posts.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 18, 09:36:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<--------- wonders how many people have had refunds for bandwidth they
               havn't used while subscribing/donating.

"here you are, I noticed you havn't downloaded in over 3 months and you paid for 6 months, have half your sub back"

Yeah right.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
yippee
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 18, 09:45:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

when pigs fly and do somersaults while chewing on mariah carey's fat, juicy thighs.  refunds are possible if that happens  :lol:

f you still like watching cartoons and think the world is a nice warm place, FUCK YOU.  fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.
notveryawesome
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 19, 08:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is what I get for $10 per YEAR at hostingrevolution.com and have never experienced any downtime:

Subdomains: unlimited
Parked Domains: 1
Addon Domains: 1
Mysql databases: unlimited
Disk usage: 50.00 MB
MySQL Disk usage: N/A MB
Bandwidth (per month): 5120 MB
Email accounts: unlimited
Email forwarders: unlimited
Autoresponders: unlimited
Email filters: unlimited
Mailing lists: unlimited
FTP accounts: unlimited

Edited to correct missing punctuation.

EDIT 2: Well, I do realise that the above-mentioned plan wouldn't do much good for a site of this magnitude, but it's quite useful for my puny little website, especially since I used to pay $3.99 per month for the same plan from a different host. I believe that Hosting Revolution has other plans, which are probably quite reasonably priced. It might be worth looking into for peeps who are paying up the butt for bandwidth.

'm thinking of naming all of my sims Sephora. That way, when one sim yells to another sim that s/he's got a phone call, it will actually make sense.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 19, 14:49:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's great for a site with few downloads, or just starting out ... but when you hit the 7 gigs downloads a day mark very regulalry, you're screwed  :shock:

Inactive
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 19, 15:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So then you move to a better plan. You get what you pay for. Tongue

Personally, I think that plan is somewhat of a joke, since your home connection may be faster and you may as well be running the site off your own computers. But then, it is cheap.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
yamikuronue
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 19, 22:32:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yahoo web hosting- for 11.95 /mo (less than ONE subscription to Carla Niven):

5gb web space
200gb data transfer
free domain name
200 email addresses
PhP, MySQL, Perl

for $39.95/mo (2.5 carla subscriptions):

20gb space
500gb transfer
1000 email addresses
plus the stuff above
wicked_one
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 19, 23:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well holy crap yahoo is expensive.

1and1.com

1&1 Linux Developer Package (they also have a Microsoft Developer Package)

10chatchannels
250GB space
2500GB data transfer
50 FTP accounts
10 blogs
Perl, Python, PHP3,PHP4, PHP5
100 MySQL Database (100 MB)
5 included domains
free private domain registration
600 subdomains
DNS management, url masking, etc
3000 email accounts (and a bunch of features for that)
firewall protection, daily site backup, 90 day moneyback guarantee, 24/7 phone and email support, and a bunch of other things (like a sitebuilder and crap to help newbies)
$19.99 per month...No hidden charges...No setup fee

they have smaller plans, and options for servers or eshops but that is a shitload more for half the price of yahoo's $40/mo plan...
I've been using them for about a year with no problems, and when there was a "user error"  :oops:  i called in the middle of the night and actually went straight to a person and they resolved the issue...I was lucky enough to sign up when they were having a sale...and then I upgraded when they were having another sale...
aboutagirl
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 January 17, 20:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm currently using icdsoft.com for my site's host. They've always been very fast to answer support, they have great uptime (except one time where the ftp was down for close to a month or so, but I had the inbrowser one in the cpanel so I didn't much care), and quite frequently add more space and transfer for free Smiley

I'm using their universal package right now which was great before but I'm about to outgrow it with transfer this month :/

Even so, I still make no attempt to make it a pay site nor have donation gifts. There is a donate button on one page if people want to contribute, but I don't want anyone to feel as though they have to.

I'd also recommend 1and1. I had a site (non sim related) hosted with them for three years, which ended in october. They had this promotion going where you could try out their hosting free for three years. Great hosting, I had no trouble. Only thing was that the cpanel was really slow for me, and set up oddly. But, it was still pretty good otherwise. Looking at what they're offering up now, I think I might move over when my hosting runs out in March.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2007 January 17, 21:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Necromancy.

(I've wanted to do that for a while!!  :lol: )

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 January 17, 21:14:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to do that properly, you have to say,

"Necromancy is bad, m'kay?"

And of course you should be able to back it up by locking the thread. However, considering the subject, I'm going to leave it unlocked.  Yes they resurrected an old thread but it wasn't with useless information and I'd rather they resurrected this thread then started a new one with the same information.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: