PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 20:09:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us  (Read 44115 times)
Payton
Landlubber

View Profile
EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
« Reply #60 on: 2006 November 13, 18:12:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I suppose then I am too far removed to understand it then. I don’t share recolor’s of other peoples stuff, I refuse to make anything that depends on other peoples stuff (and share it with others), I don’t make sims for upload, I don’t make houses for upload with other peoples stuff (granted I did once or twice on my own site but it was such a hassle I don’t want to bother with it anymore) or do contests because seriously it really is too much of a hassle, especially when many creators are so lousy about putting the information in the file to begin with and seemingly expect you to jump through hoops to figure it out so they can get their kudos.

Maybe if creators were better about putting their name on and in their packages and possibly not be so snitty about their items I might have a different attitude. I think it’s the prevalence of this attitude that I am tired of seeing, all I hear about it seems like is people whining over thanks and credit, it makes me a little suspicious is to why people really make game content. The ones that really get me are the ones that say do not recolor, do not clone, do not alter, do not share, do not upload to exchange, do not take pictures of this item without crediting me etc. What is the point? That’s not really sharing in my opinion, that’s being a dictator and your ‘gift’ isn’t really a gift at all, and then they turn right around and say how giving they are and how they put their heart and soul into it and how wonderful they are. Seems to me they are so full of themselves already that they don’t need my help patting their back.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat tho, I don’t dispect you; I just don’t understand the issue. The fact is I am more than happy to give credit, link backs, referrals etc, but I don’t like doing it for people that have a crappy attitude, in fact I don’t like using their stuff at all. I don’t feel good about showing someone where to get something when I know the creator is a pompous ass that is on an ego trip. Basically for me I guess, for every ‘don’t’ a creator has I am going to have an equal number.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 November 13, 18:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Walks around wiggling her pompous ego ass * :lol: I love it, and I agree on that one.

Well personally I take much care into putting my name in Bodsyhop items and meshes. But putting a link in will make it less pretty Smiley That's why I include my Readme as much as possible.
Also, I don't think I have extremely strict rules. I only ask people not to use my stuff anywhere pay, and not on the stupid Exchange. And please ask me before mutilating a texture for use in their own stuff. And I usually say 'yes' anyway.XD

Also, if someone gets high on 'thank you's', who cares..? I think crediting is a whole other thing. Credit has practical use, 'thank you' is more of the appreciation thing. I don't mind someone loving the 'thanks you's' and getting more creative impulse on it somehow. If the stuff is free I have nothing to complain about.

I see you hardly ever upload anything that you didn't make, so it's not even a real issue  Smiley
I can't make people credit me. Seriously, if they really don't want to put on credit, they won't do it. Very few people will care. Maybe my head will explode. However I do think it's a pity not to credit, because it is not only a small appreciation for the creator, it also has practical use.

Inactive
Payton
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 November 13, 18:42:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nouk, I can understand that people would like credit, but when they go batshit crazy because they didnt get it? When nearly every download at MTS2 is marked with be sure to thank me and credit me? Thats when I say, come on get over yourself a little, its game content not the nobel prize.

It just really bugs me is all. I dont feel obligated to share my things, in fact I share very little of what I make, I do take requests, if I feel I have time and I dont expect anything in return, not even a thank you, the fact that it was downloaded and not complained about is good enough indicator that they liked it for me. I would be flattered if someone actually got people to pay for something I made, or felt it was good enough to claim as their own, or that they liked it enough to want to share it with others, or they wanted to improve upon it, recolor it whatever.  I must be batshit insane myself. I give up. I will never understand it I dont think.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 November 13, 19:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can write your name in STR# resources and the filename all you like but it won't show up when people are looking at your work in other people's lots and sims on the exchange, and rarely in the catalogue once they have downloaded it.  They'd have to open the download in SImPE to find out you made it.   That's where Trainz wins out, they thought of all that in the first place.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
shart
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 November 13, 19:23:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nec"
I think my biggest issue with the mesh thing is that so many creators spout off about giving to the community, and expect thanks, comments, worship, whatever...but they seem to have forgotten that giving is something you do without expecting anything in return, and being grateful if you actually do. The joy of giving is in knowing the pleasure the receiver will have with what you gave - not in all the glory and recognition you reap.

Thank you. People and their damn feelings of entitlement / demand for worship which they call "respect."
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2006 November 13, 20:45:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"

It's a matter of respect and/or recognition, not of egotripping. If someone writes a song, paints a painting, designs a house, these people are not frowned upon if they want their names on it.

*shrug* I can't think of a real life house or building that I could name the designer of.

and if it wasn't for a label I wouldn't know (and don't really care - I don't buy clothes for the name) who created clothing I buy.

url=http://www.scumbox.co.uk/urapirate.swf]A pirate's life for me![/url]
exnemsims exnemsims
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 November 13, 20:48:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem is that some creators just stress SO MUCH about crediting that it becomes... how to say... not useless... I can't find the word. Help?
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 November 13, 21:03:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "coliss"
The problem is that some creators just stress SO MUCH about crediting that it becomes... how to say... not useless... I can't find the word. Help?

Know what you mean...can't think of the word either...Redundant?

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2006 November 13, 21:09:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, if someone gets high on 'thank you's', who cares..?

I am one that likes recieving thanks for the work I do.  Makes me feel more appreciated, makes me want to work harder to please, and to me that is only natural.  I don't force it out of anyone, I don't make it the only means of obtaining my work.  We send files by free links on my forum, there have been plenty members who just ask for my stuff without thanks, and have been given it without any comment on their lack of gratitude.  I don't mind, but I can't deny I like when people are gracious.  

I am also the kind of person who likes giving thanks though too, not just for sims objects.  So maybe that is where it stems from.

I can't make people credit me. Seriously, if they really don't want to put on credit, they won't do it. Very few people will care. Maybe my head will explode. However I do think it's a pity not to credit, because it is not only a small appreciation for the creator, it also has practical use.

As a creator I admit I do like credit.  As you state, it's not something we can stop if someone really wants to remove the credit, claim credit for either.  It's not something that I will get bent out of shape over either, because it doesn't mean THAT much to me.  In generally I try not to let anything online get to me, it's not worth it.  You are right, it is about just a small amount of respect.  If a creator respects you enough to offer you all the work, time and effort they put into CC for free... I think credit is a small amount to ask in return.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 2006 November 13, 21:15:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"

Know what you mean...can't think of the word either...Redundant?

Maybe, in objects, which is what I make, I can add my own credit to the description area, which is what I do, so as long as people leave that then I could care less about credit on an actual site or something.  I think for other things, like hairs and skins (OMG this is showing how little I play) you don't have that option.

When you spend time working on something, and then after all that someone takes the credit for it, or acts like they are by not giving you credit it burns a bit I think.  Again, it's not something that you need to shout and get worked up about, but I think it can something that makes you question if you want keep giving to the community.  Especially when you are a creator that requires not much in return for your work, in terms of asskissing and $$

Just my opinion.

jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 November 13, 21:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, make no mistake, I firmly believe taking credit for someone else's work is highly bad form. That said, credit isn't the be-all and end-all, or worth getting into a hissy fit over in the way some people do...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 2006 November 13, 21:24:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh definately.  To some extent you have to know as soon as you put anything online it's the risk you take.  Making it your own personal drama, or going Retail Sims on it is only going to make you look bad in the end, and make others want to piss ya off more.

coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 November 13, 21:27:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
When you spend time working on something, and then after all that someone takes the credit for it, or acts like they are by not giving you credit it burns a bit I think.  Again, it's not something that you need to shout and get worked up about, but I think it can something that makes you question if you want keep giving to the community.  Especially when you are a creator that requires not much in return for your work, in terms of asskissing and $$

Just my opinion.

I agree with what you say. But then, if you (speaking in general) decided to stop for few cases that happen like that, it's a shame (as I said). I'm not saying creators should just shut up and become a "machine" for players, but if you decide to list a hundred of things about crediting, you'd end up talking to a wall.

I don't think everyone is "evil" and decides to take credits for something they did not do. If the said person just forgot (which happens), I'm quite sure someone will point it out and she would add credit.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 2006 November 13, 21:36:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with what you say. But then, if you (speaking in general) decided to stop for few cases that happen like that, it's a shame (as I said). I'm not saying creators should just shut up and become a "machine" for players, but if you decide to list a hundred of things about crediting, you'd end up talking to a wall.

I don't think everyone is "evil" and decides to take credits for something they did not do. If the said person just forgot (which happens), I'm quite sure someone will point it out and she would add credit.

I see what you are saying, I mean we all know there are those that go overboard about "crediting".  I was thinking more in terms of someone actually purposly trying to take credit for it.

I don't have any stupid rules about who can recolor my things or how they should distribute them (so long as they are not pay, it doesn't bother me one bit) as I do think that kinda crap is ridiculous though.

I personally don't think I'd be overally bothered by someone taking credit for something I worked on enough to stop creating, but I am not one to judge someone who is.  I don't know what they are giving, time away from family ect, when they create.  So I guess it really depends on the circumstance.

coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 November 13, 21:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
I see what you are saying, I mean we all know there are those that go overboard about "crediting".  I was thinking more in terms of someone actually purposly trying to take credit for it.

I've always been amused at how people try to take credit for something they did not make. :lol:

You're always going to have the extreme kind of people about crediting and those who don't care at all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: