PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 18, 17:57:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would Anyone Care to Chime In?  (Read 39846 times)
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Would Anyone Care to Chime In?
« Reply #75 on: 2006 November 28, 00:06:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love?  What is this love you speak of?  :wink:

I would rather see a handful of posts that actually mean something and are part of the debate, than pages upon pages of posts that aren't really contributing to a thread because they're focusing on other things like not being able to understand or trying to explain things other than what pertains to the topic at hand.  Sometimes things just don't need fifty pages of discussion, and I rarely start topics, but if a discussion naturally comes to an end after two pages for whatever reason, so be it.

Unless it's MATY or PSMBD, then you know all the good stuff is on the longer topics because by the time it hits page five or ten, it's already derailed into something fun and interesting.  Tongue  Or disturbing, but whatever, man.

(Edited because articles are for WUSSES.  'Cause they aren't used in Latin and whatnot.  SHUT UP.)
MMEStalker
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 November 28, 00:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Kaibon"

I'm only saying in most instances, its harder for the age group in question to understand the more advanced words.

I've read all of the thread in question, and I seem to be missing these 'more advanced words'. I'll be honest, I can't fully put my self in the shoes of these kids that you think are having trouble understanding, as I had an adult reading age before I left first school, but I do remember many instances of not understanding something, and I always looked it up or asked someone, whether it was a word, a phrase, a debate or something else. This still happens to me now and always will as no one can be well informed about everything, learning new things is part of life. Surely it's good for younger players to have this sort of interaction with us, having to argue my views with older better informed people has taught me a lot, it was a vital part of my education. I guess I don't understand why you think those here who have posted there, shouldn't do that, I don't see how it can be bad.
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 November 28, 00:22:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For them to "learn things" on their own would mean taking on a responsibility for themselves. In todays world? Not likely.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Solowren
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 November 28, 00:25:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
For them to "learn things" on their own would mean taking on a responsibility for themselves. In todays world? Not likely.

That makes me a sad pirate, but it's true. Society these days tends to shy away from anything related to responsibility.

quoth my brother-in-law:
"Boobs are way better than video games. I don't care what game or whose boobs."
Kaibon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 November 28, 00:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MMEStalker"
Quote from: "Kaibon"

I'm only saying in most instances, its harder for the age group in question to understand the more advanced words.

I've read all of the thread in question, and I seem to be missing these 'more advanced words'. I'll be honest, I can't fully put my self in the shoes of these kids that you think are having trouble understanding, as I had an adult reading age before I left first school, but I do remember many instances of not understanding something, and I always looked it up or asked someone, whether it was a word, a phrase, a debate or something else. This still happens to me now and always will as no one can be well informed about everything, learning new things is part of life. Surely it's good for younger players to have this sort of interaction with us, having to argue my views with older better informed people has taught me a lot, it was a vital part of my education. I guess I don't understand why you think those here who have posted there, shouldn't do that, I don't see how it can be bad.

I agree with that completely =] however when there are alot of posts using a plethora of words you dont know...well...people tend to back down rather than look up 20 words =/ I can see were you are coming from though. I have always had a high reading level xP mostly because I'm a reading dork, but younger members might be intimidated and not post which would make the idea of debate useless ^0^ I wouldnt want to dumb myself down either, but Ive spent so much time with younger members of the forum that I just get used to it.
JustLiz
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 November 28, 00:36:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Your Mother Has Scurvy"

That makes me a sad pirate, but it's true. Society these days tends to shy away from anything related to responsibility.

Eh, some do, some don't.

Lumping people into one group never creates an accurate statement.
Solowren
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 November 28, 00:38:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "JustLiz"

Eh, some do, some don't.

Lumping people into one group never creates an accurate statement.

I usually try not to generalize like that. Rephrase:

A lot of people these days tend to shy away from anything related to responsibility.

quoth my brother-in-law:
"Boobs are way better than video games. I don't care what game or whose boobs."
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 November 28, 00:41:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "rubbersushi"
And it's not the big words really, although they are large and fearful. It's more... I dunno, there seems to be a certain air of... What's the word? Shocked It's times like these I wish my mother didn't do drugs when she was pregnant with me. UmmUmmUmm! You know, that thing that you give off. Makes people angry at you. Anyway, I'm not the only one feeling it so it's not just me.

Denim, do you know the word I'm talking about? My point is kind of ruined if I can't remember what I was going to say. Do you think if I squint really hard it'll come to me? :x

Snobbishness? Elitism? Better-than-thouism? I don't agree with the sentiment, but I'm just suggesting words that might mean what you're thinking.

But you know, I used to hang out at BoolProp quite a bit. Then, of course, when it was overrun by younger and younger (and oftentimes near-illiterate) members, it stopped becoming as fun for me so I didn't go there as often (this is not a knock on the members at BoolProp; it's just a comment that my personal taste for the site itself had changed). But I did like it a lot at one point, so I can understand why people (i.e. rubbersushi and Emma/simsfunk) wouldn't want it to change (especially for the worse).

And for whoever derided them for the possibility of the site going bye-bye for some reason and them being upset over it: well, I'm thinking if MATY suddenly disappeared, you'd probably be a little bit upset about that too, despite the fact that it's 'just a forum about a game.' Please don't mock people for their affection for their favorite sites. No one's saying you have to like what they do, but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't ridicule or dismiss other people's opinions and likes as 'less worthy' or 'unimportant.'

Unless it's pro-incest. Then you can mock all you want.  Cool
JustLiz
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 November 28, 00:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of people these days tend to shy away from anything related to responsibility.

That I can whole heartedly agree with.
MMEStalker
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 November 28, 01:00:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"

And for whoever derided them for the possibility of the site going bye-bye for some reason and them being upset over it: well, I'm thinking if MATY suddenly disappeared, you'd probably be a little bit upset about that too, despite the fact that it's 'just a forum about a game.' Please don't mock people for their affection for their favorite sites. No one's saying you have to like what they do, but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't ridicule or dismiss other people's opinions and likes as 'less worthy' or 'unimportant.'

I wouldn't be upset at all, I was a regular poster on a forum about something that meant a lot more to me than the Sims 2 does, and when it died I can honestly say it didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't think that everyone should feel that way too, but I'm sorry, I'm not going pretend I don't think that's a silly way to be about a website, I like the fact I can be honest here, and one of the things I can be honest about is that I think a lot of people take this game and its communities too seriously. I don't imagine that all of the people here agree with me about that, I don't care, I can accept that. But you've asked me (very politely, thank you for that) not to express that view and I'm not going to oblige. I didn't 'dismiss' her opinion, I thought about it, didn't agree with it and said as much.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 November 28, 01:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dear god, that was epic. I don't think there's anything I can say that hasn't already been said, Boolprop isn't entirely to my tastes, and as such, the mannerisms of a lot of the members irriate me, so I won't go there either, but as far as the big words thing goes...
I have a good vocabulary, always have done, however, if there's a word I don't understand, I skip over it, plain and simple. I'll look at the context it's used in, to help me out, if I'm really stuck over what it was the other person was trying to say, but USUALLY context doesn't steer one wrong. I've never found myself in a situation where I've been reading something, not understood a word, and then been lost. I might be all like 'What the FUCK, that person's talking out of their arse, they made that word up!!' but still always kept track of what was the...thing. I just don't feel it's a valid thing to pick people up on.

Also, I want to marry Ensign. Although, I dunno if that's legal where she is, and I'm prolly too old for her.....>.>

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 November 28, 01:34:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everything is legal in North Dakota.  Except progress and evolution.  And anything that has anything to do with cities.  They hate businesses here.

I would be... upset-ish if MATY or any forum I visited more than twice disappeared, but mostly because I tend to be out of the loop and would miss the hacks until I found them again.  It wouldn't be the end of my world, I guess.  I dunno.
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 November 28, 01:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MMEStalker"
But you've asked me (very politely, thank you for that) not to express that view and I'm not going to oblige. I didn't 'dismiss' her opinion, I thought about it, didn't agree with it and said as much.

And that's all anyone can ask for, really.
JustLiz
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 November 28, 01:46:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"

I would be... upset-ish if MATY or any forum I visited more than twice disappeared, but mostly because I tend to be out of the loop and would miss the hacks until I found them again.  It wouldn't be the end of my world, I guess.  I dunno.

I don't believe that it would be the end of anyone's world, merely that they would be upset about it.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 November 28, 02:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
Everything is legal in North Dakota.  Except progress and evolution.  And anything that has anything to do with cities.  They hate businesses here.

North Dakota, eh? I've recently developed a slight obsession with Fargo, due to extensive reading of Lileks.com...

Far as being upset if a community I frequent dies, I would be upset. When this place becomes obselete, for example, I might well shed a figurative tear, but that's more than partly because everyone can speak so very freely here, and for a common cause, with a common understanding, and generally a similar mentality, there isn't even as much freedom as this at MATY. After my figurative tear has dried, I'll likely be bored for a day or two. Then I'll move on. This place, and in my opinion, MATY, are special, not through any particular sentimentality on my part, but what they represent...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: