PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 20:02:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!
0 Members and 11 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 185 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!  (Read 820275 times)
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
Re: TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!
« Reply #1350 on: 2009 May 01, 15:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember reading that there was not going to be any tools provided by EA - that they were going to let us hackers make the tools.  Hackers in this sense meaning the people who hack together tools, rather than the old sense.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
falln_angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: 2009 May 01, 15:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way I understand it, the TS3 version of CC is restricted to the ability to apply any in-game texture to various parts of objects (and presumably clothing and walls/floors, although I'm less sure of that). I also have the impression that there will be a way to import custom textures, although that might be me mis-remembering something. In any case, TS3 downloads are going to be pretty lame for a while - lots of Sims and possibly various combinations of in-game textures applied to in-game objects (like Dot's stone lamps). If we're very lucky, we'll see some nice new textures to download, but that's going to leave a lot of people out in the cold, especially over at TSR. It's one thing to apply someone else's texture to a mesh and call it an original piece of work, but I can't see even them being able to talk things around when their 'creators' start taking textures from other websites and then offering them for sale. (You know it's going to happen.) I hope they're brushing up on their hand-painting skills over there!

Twilight is that movie where angsty vampires do each other’s makeup in high school, right? And instead of sunlight exploding them, it turns their skin into body glitter? I’m not judging you, man. That’s a really, really cool thing to enjoy. --Seanbaby
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: 2009 May 01, 15:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it will be that long before tools are made though, I just hope they put in the TOU that its not to be used commercially.  After all, why should someone else make money off of what they did for free.  Even if it won't be respected by some of the community, it might discourage some folks from dong pay stuff.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Tuesday
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: 2009 May 01, 15:47:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read that SimPE was created by members of the community with help from Maxis developers. I don't know if this is correct or not since I just started playing the game a couple years ago, but if that is the truth, then who is stepping up to the plate to actually create these tools? And would EA Sims give the same amount of help as they did when it was Maxis Sims? All I keep getting is vague references to "the hackers".

I hope this is okay to discuss here. I figured it would be alright since the rumor is that TSR/EA Store is going to be it as far as legal custom content goes for the Sims 3 and we're all in agreement that TSR is teh evil. If not, feel free to macro me and call me a stupidface  Smiley
Lilwen
ARR!

Dirty Fanny La Bouche

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: 2009 May 01, 18:19:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope this is okay to discuss here. I figured it would be alright since the rumor is that TSR/EA Store is going to be it as far as legal custom content goes for the Sims 3 and we're all in agreement that TSR is teh evil. If not, feel free to macro me and call me a stupidface  Smiley

Well, if that rumour is true, then I for one will not be putting any custom content into my game. Since the beginning of The Sims, I've never put anything from TSR into my game and I never will.

Life! should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: 2009 May 01, 19:24:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TSR is fortunate in that they only have to deal with the far more lenient and forgiving Delphy. If they were stuck with me as the primary community figure, they would be screwed, because I will never forgive. Isn't that right, SOUPER?

It sure is, you rotten bastard. (I don't forgive either. Which is probably why I find Delphy's actions incomprehensible.)

I vaguely remember people talking about how it might be impossible to import meshes into Sims 2, until Quaxi et al figured out how to do it. That took a while. However, even the Bodyshop that shipped before Sims 2 was more robust than what EA's promising with Sims 3. This makes sense, because doing anything more than applying textures to existing objects on consoles -- the 360, PS3, and especially the Wii -- would probably be quite difficult. Sims 3 looks like a port of a console game, not a PC game.

Tuesday
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: 2009 May 01, 19:47:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I vaguely remember people talking about how it might be impossible to import meshes into Sims 2, until Quaxi et al figured out how to do it. That took a while. However, even the Bodyshop that shipped before Sims 2 was more robust than what EA's promising with Sims 3. This makes sense, because doing anything more than applying textures to existing objects on consoles -- the 360, PS3, and especially the Wii -- would probably be quite difficult. Sims 3 looks like a port of a console game, not a PC game.

I also agree that the Sims 3 seems like a port of a console game, I think that's what made me start on this quest for Sims 3 CC answers  Grin.
Do you happen to know if Quaxi got help from Maxis with SimPE or if that is an urban legend? I wonder because I doubt EA's going to be as forthcoming with information sharing this time around and the only answer I can find at the big forums is "don't worry, the hackers will create something to make cc possible". I just wonder who these mystery hackers are and if they know they've been tapped to save the Sims 3 from complete phail. Like I said before, I wasn't around for the Sims - Sims 2 change, so I don't know if this is a normal attitude from the community and I shouldn't worry or if I should just forget about the Sims 3 altogether.
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: 2009 May 01, 20:18:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see how people got from "Delphy isn't pursuing the investigation anymore" to "Delphy has forgiven T$R".  I don't know his reasons.  Maybe he thinks the evidence isn't concrete enough.  (I think T$R did it, I'm just speculating about what Delphy thinks.)  Maybe he doesn't care about T$R dramaz as much as others.  Maybe he doesn't think the good that would come of pursuing this is enough to justify the effort.  (Not saying I agree, just speculating about his reasons.)  Whatever his reasons are, I'm sure they have nothing to do with "forgiving" T$R.  Delphy gives T$R butthurt just by running MTS2.  Sure, we may want Delphy to do more to pin the Buggybooz attack on T$R, but is saying he forgave them an effective way to do that?  Seems to me that antipaysite activists sniping at a freesite admin would be a source of amusement for T$R.  You want to convince him or chew him out or whatever, can't that be done in private, while presenting a unified front against T$R?

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: 2009 May 01, 20:39:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured I'd ask here since the BBS seems to be filled with staffed TSR employees that are calling people greedy for wanting free CC.

The irony of that never fails to get me.  They aren't greedy for charging, oh no.  Thomas isn't greedy for having two houses, when probably a good portion of their clients can't even afford to own one home.  But we're greedy, because we don't want to pay for custom content.

Their delusions are amusing.  I love too, how they always seem to insist that we're all raiding the booty.  "They just want my stuffs for free!"  Most of the hard core members here have a complete DO NOT WANT when it comes to pay items.  I've been slowly but surely getting rid of all my pay stuff.  I have a few pieces I won't part with, but, I did pay for all of them.  I think I've purged all of my pay hair though! 

The stuff I use in my games the most is free.  The stuff I find myself using all the time.  Paleoanth's stuff, Mourne's stuff, Buggy's kitchen, Phoenix Pharie, (I adore Phoenix's manor house collection, any of my houses that I'm trying to give the impression "Old house that has been restored" have that kitchen.  For my more modern houses, it's all about either Buggy's kitchen or Paleoanth's Moderne kitchen. ) 

Even windows, where I thought I could never get windows better than Windkeeper's TSR stuff, I'm finding that isn't true. I find I'm using a lot of windows I downloaded from MTS2,  Fway, T budget, etc.  I'm even finding the Windkeeper windows I use the most are the ones she has at MST2.  It's not deliberate, it just worked out that way. 

Motto of the story, kiddies?  The best thing in (sim) life, are free! 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Tuesday
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: 2009 May 01, 21:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Their delusions are amusing.  I love too, how they always seem to insist that we're all raiding the booty.  "They just want my stuffs for free!"  Most of the hard core members here have a complete DO NOT WANT when it comes to pay items. 

I don't know that I consider myself hard core, but I surely don't have anything pay in my game. Not because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for it, but because of the reasons you mentioned. I plain old find better stuff on free fansites and have yet to find anything pay that doesn't have a more attractive free option. I think that's what's got me so worried about the Sims 3. I refuse to play a game where custom content is going to be dictated by EA or, even worse, TSR.
pinkyfriend
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: 2009 May 02, 00:20:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a purist I admit...I have a few things from the booty in my game (some stuff from tsr creators who have since gone free & a few others that as I find free replacements I find myself deleting without any qualms)
I'm finding that I would rather use the expansions that people have done on the maxis windows (MaryLou's Independent Expressions, tbudgett's craftsman, fways loft. leesester's Mauritania...now if I could just find some weathered recolors of those I would be one content mama) Plus the new awesome set by Adele  Shocked     who the hell needs pay?

"The internet is like a petri dish...you drop one stupid spore in and it just grows like crazy" - my son
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: 2009 May 02, 00:40:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems to me that antipaysite activists sniping at a freesite admin would be a source of amusement for T$R.  You want to convince him or chew him out or whatever, can't that be done in private, while presenting a unified front against T$R?

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think we should be overly concerned if TSR finds it amusing that we have differences among ourselves. Just because they walk mindlessly in lockstep formation doesn't mean that we should have to do the same. If people are disappointed in the actions of a freesite owner/administrator then they should be allowed to express themselves. I'm not saying it's alright to start pointlessly bashing anybody, but there are (or were) legitimate concerns about the Buggyboozgate investigation (including the actions of it's key participants) and I think it's more than fair to discuss them openly.
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: 2009 May 02, 04:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did not ask everyone to agree.  Present a unified front means when you disagree, don't do it in front of your enemies.  I concede, you have a point about open debate.  I should not have said "convince" in private.  As for "chew out", I still don't think doing that in public serves any useful purpose.  I don't object to people saying T$R did it (I think they did, not whoever saw their unecrypted data or hacked some FA accounts).  I don't object to anyone saying the investigation could / should have been differently.  What I do object to is saying that because Delphy disagrees with many people here and has let the matter drop, that he's forgiven T$R.  If someone feels angry at Delphy or disappointed or whatever, and has something to say to him, MTS2 has private chat channels and PM for that.  I doubt he would respond, I think he's done with all of this, but my point is that private accusations rather than public ones wouldn't be needlessly divisive nor give Thoma$$ the giggles.  So as you said, debate good, bashing bad.

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: 2009 May 02, 04:58:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do not agree with the idea that it's better to complain at someone in private about something important you think they're doing wrong. I've never, ever seen a tense conversation in private messages go well. What's the point anyway? If I'm dissatisfied with, say, the police chief or something, I don't publicly pretend I think he's doing a peachy job while privately writing him that I think he fucked up.

I don't want to present a "united front". That just means pretending everyone agrees, while bitching about each other behind the scenes. I won't do that. If Thomas et al get their giggles because we disagree, they're stupid. But we knew that. I get my giggles because they don't publicly disagree, which shows what pathetic little sheeples they are. I don't understand caring why people you don't have any respect for think of you.

CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: 2009 May 02, 06:26:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do not care what Thoma$$ thinks of anyone here.  However, I find the thought of him being happy because his enemies are name-calling each other bothersome.  More importantly, how about what the people PMBD is trying to reach think?  Do they see reasonable debate that provokes thought and activism?  Discussion of events, of the evidence, etc, does that.  Insulting Delphy by saying he forgave T$R doesn't do that.  It could alienate readers instead.  Forgiveness is giving up resentment of wrongdoing, usually after sincere contrition and apology on the wrongdoer's part.  What Delphy did was drop the investigation because he thought the evidence wasn't 100% conclusive.  You can disagree with him and how he handled things, but you cannot claim that was forgiveness.  What good comes of that?

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 185 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: