PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 05:47:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  EA Doesn't Stop Them, So it must be ok.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA Doesn't Stop Them, So it must be ok.  (Read 12509 times)
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
EA Doesn't Stop Them, So it must be ok.
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 07, 10:03:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm 666!  Now, while that might be an exaggeration, it doesn't break any rules.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
ChamiMinds
Landlubber

View Profile
EA Doesn't Stop Them, So it must be ok.
« Reply #16 on: 2007 January 08, 00:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have edited original post to add the link to the thread. I was going to put it in there along with quoting everyone so those who didn't want to click the link could still see what was said. But alas I forgot! ::Face palms::

There are a few young ones on this board but the majority are older, married with kids and even Grankids. I get the impression that they do not often play computer games and so this is still a new process for them like it might be for the 12 yr olds out there. And the accept as the norm.

T2 I'm glad tyo see you found your wayover there! Sorry I wasn't quicker to see this thread had gotten replies so I'd have seen my lack of a link. uhg. Haha. Anyway I liked the pointers you added to it and I believe this thread is dying as the only one who was debating me, Lita, has stopped posting in reply to the critizism of the sites instead she's nw replying about how much her sites costs to run it.

Anyway if anyone else would like to add your opnions the link is now in the first message but if you don't want to join yet another "newbie" type board just let me know and I'd be happy to post on your behalf.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Re: EA Doesn't Stop Them, So it must be ok.
« Reply #17 on: 2008 February 17, 05:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please don't revive threads that are over a year old.

http://phorum.mustnotbenamed.com/index.php/topic,1104.0.html
Pooki
ARR!

Still Alive!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 February 17, 05:25:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Necromancy is bad please read the FAQ

Snarky's mine despite obvious complications.
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 February 17, 13:34:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no 16. That is also still 12. You will remain 12 until you are properly 18. This is your final warning. Further transgressions will result in banning.

Sorry but what you have just said does not make sense to me?  Huh
I'm sorry for the hassle if any.
Welcome, youngster, to the land of Pirates who do not actually "pirate". Everything here is paid for and freely shared! Please help yourself to our booty.

(You see what we did there? We were accused of pirating software, and, LULZ!, we thought that was hilarious and ran with it. Don't accept everything at face value. A good life lesson, no?)

To answer your question, the Pescado Rule Of Ages is that they all must be divisible by 6. This makes it easy for him to remember who is approximately what age. He is old and has a long beard and is busy making cool stuff and beating down trolls. Roll with it.

You are 0 until you are 6. You are 12 until you are 18.

Naturally the older members of his sites embrace this system wholeheartedly. We love being 30. Or whatever. The younger members tend to be a little less excited about the concept.

Necromancy is the "art" of raising from the dead threads that have not had any new posts for more than a couple of weeks. Even then, you're pushing it. Do not revive old, dead threads. They are stinky and tend to fall apart and leave gooey nasty slimy stuff on our freshly-swabbed planks.

As Pooki & Ensign EO said, with admirable restraint, the FAQ is your friend. Find it, read it, love it, follow it.

PROTIP: It is a standard procedure, when coming to a new 'net joint, to seek out the FAQ and to LURK MOAR.

Now go forth, and sin no more.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Azaya
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 February 17, 18:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just stuck on the part where someone said TSR was 'great value for your money'. Yeah, it is.. if you download the stuff from the booty. Honestly. There's maybe three talented creators on the entire site.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 February 17, 19:22:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just stuck on the part where someone said TSR was 'great value for your money'. Yeah, it is.. if you download the stuff from the booty. Honestly. There's maybe three talented creators on the entire site.

It is relative - let's take out the fact for a moment that this is illegal, or at the very least, highly unethical, and look at the financials. To buy everything you want from Vita, you have to spend several dollars per set. That adds up QUICKLY. On the other hand, TSR's 5 bucks a month (yeah, it's 10 for 2 months, but whatever) gives you access to MANY MORE Files, and frankly, you can get hundreds of sets costing pennies versus maybe two sets from someone like Vita for the same cost. So from a value standpoint, they ARE a good value.

See the difference?

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Tsu
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 February 22, 07:22:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA is cashing with this although everyone knows its illegal, and YES, its true, although you may be the creator, you can only use your creations because someone else did a platform just before, in this case Maxis. Your creations rights only exist until you give your stuff to EA by putting them in their platform game and that only because they allow and benefit from it, otherwise they could sue you for using their platform for unauthorized ends. If you want to create, and have your so-called rights, well, just fuck off and leave your work in 3ds and play there if you can, and for god sake stop offering your work to maxis converting your files to their licensed product and them run around saying you have fucking rights! Ho, and using design magazine images to do “your newly fresh” creations its stealing, you don’t have the right and can be sued for using other designers work to your own purposes. And don’t came with that crap of why can’t I, if maxis can use mine, because you know very well that nobody in EA asked you for nothing, and even if they did, you just give because you wanted (I never heard of anybody who was been pointed by a gun to put files in the sims game).
But all this still mean that this community war is fair and legal, and so, they are doomed. It is only necessary that this community start to gain more visibility. They can never compete with someone who gives the very same product they do free. Their only luck still is that the majority of the sims community don’t even imagine that this site exist, thus given them money for something they could have for free.
And if someone thinks that because EA is cashing with all of this, that is going to help them in any way, forget it, because legally they can’t have rights unless EA rescinded from them, what obviously is not going to happen. And besides, EA is going to cash anyway, no matter there are only free or pay sites as long as there is a community with good artists moved by their pride (yes pride, because the money a good artist can make with this is nothing compared to what he/her could make out there in the market working in modeling, animation, architecture, etc., losing the same time and having the same fun doing it).
It’s a matter of time till others start to know about this site.
And one more thing, EA do not support anyone, if they think you are good enough they simply offer you a job!
Sinthe
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 February 22, 16:19:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These people lack a moral compass. Just because Matt Stone and Trey Parker say that it's OK to illegally download episodes of South Park doesn't mean that it's suddenly legal and morally OK. Just because EAxis is sitting on its lazy, fat ass on paysites doesn't mean that they're suddenly legal and morally OK, either.

Fuck TSR in the ass. I don't have to spend 8 years sifting through shit to find the odd diamond (that's usually a pay file anyway, so I'll just go to the booty!) at my favorite free sites, like MTS2! And, y'know, I've got the moral high ground that way. We're getting to Scotland first, bitches. Value for my money, my ass! Value for my money is donating voluntarily to MTS2 or WickedNouk. Why? It's the right thing, and they're people who support doing the right thing.

Doing something illegal just because you can't be arsed to follow the law is never acceptable, at least according to my moral code.

ILU, Coconut!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 February 24, 22:13:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is relative - let's take out the fact for a moment that this is illegal, or at the very least, highly unethical, and look at the financials. To buy everything you want from Vita, you have to spend several dollars per set. That adds up QUICKLY. On the other hand, TSR's 5 bucks a month (yeah, it's 10 for 2 months, but whatever) gives you access to MANY MORE Files, and frankly, you can get hundreds of sets costing pennies versus maybe two sets from someone like Vita for the same cost. So from a value standpoint, they ARE a good value.

See the difference?

I see the difference but I still wanna beat them with a big stick that has nails in it...

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Dr House
ARR!

My pills, let me show you them.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2008 February 25, 02:25:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, subscription sites are better than pay-per item ones, but 99.9% of tsr stuff is utter rubbish, plus there's the take-two-month-or-nothin'. Their prices (10 bucks for 2 months) are still a bit too high for that feeble propotion of nice stuff Angry

And don't forget Atwat. Gosh her stuff is so awful that i can quickly tell which are hers in the sets pages. I loose a bit more eyesight everytime i see her ugliness Angry There should be an atwat warning at tsr's main page.

That could be a sig 'Thou shallst never forget Atwat'.

I'm a female, so what?! Duh! Anyway why are you reading this? Go away! Shoo! Oh and here are my pills.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 February 26, 21:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the thing is.. when you subscribe to TSR you feel you should get your moneys worth so you download a lot of stuff.
You don't need to do that since, like mentioned, TSR is full of rubbish. From bad recolours, textures and buggy objects.
Which brings me to another point

The game is buggy as all hell... why pay for objects that are also buggy and could potentially bung up your game? There is no guarantee that this will happen, but there is also NO guarantee that it won't happen.
The attitude from paysite owners is always "We aren't responsible! we are just artists trying to pretty the game for you"
Okay. Alright.
Thank you.

But do not expect me to give you money! I do not gamble with the lives of my Sims!

*pirate glove slap*

I can do that without actually paying for it.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Valerie
Landlubber

Lurking Duck

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 February 27, 03:16:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I read the first post I saw that some one had posted about the stuff pack. Well, my friend cannot download downloads because it makes her computer slow. The stuff packs are for people who want extra items and cannot download, I don't think it's for the profit. It might be, but EA Does give us some free exclusive items which is good enough and people post their items there. The EA EULA clearly says you cannot profit, EA won't go against it because it's probably too much to handle. With all these pay sites there is no hope, it will continue. I agree that EA should act fast, the only question that I have is why do they interview Pay sites.. I see it so wrong as it affects them.

The lurking duck, i will lurk you.
Easy Money - minimum cashout $2.00
Click on the Cashlagoon.
dasha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 February 27, 04:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just because Matt Stone and Trey Parker say that it's OK to illegally download episodes of South Park doesn't mean that it's suddenly legal and morally OK.

Actually,  if the creators of the show say, "Hey, put this online, rip it off, we don't care" then it IS morally/legally okay, because copyright law is all about the original creator giving or not giving permission. If I write a story and say, "Send it to whoever you want, just keep (copyright: me) on it, and don't sell it" the only people I'll be pissed off at are those who are selling it. The comparison between South Park and The Sims isn't accurate, because EA has always held the position that their software is theirs, and the only paying that should be done is to them - for the game.

My own analogy would be: Stephen King writes a novel called "The Lampshade" about a lampshade that eats people's souls. He puts it on the Internet as an e-book and charges $5 a copy. Some people decide they don't want to buy the book, and get their buddy, who already downloaded it, to send them a copy (this would be the same as software piracy). Some people decide to write sequels to "The Lampshade" and sell copies of their sequels for $3.50 (this would be the same as what paysites do). Others write stories based on "The Lampshade" and put them on their own website, for anyone interested to read, free of charge (this would be like what free sites do).

Now, Stephen King realizes that a lot more people are reading his book than downloaded it. His first priority would be protecting his own intellectual property - going after the folks who are getting it free from their buddies. After that, he would pursue action against those who are writing sequels and getting paid for it - because they're plagiarists. He would not likely be upset by the authors who present their own derivative works for free, however.

Long winded post summed up: Just because EA hasn't got the time to pursue action against paysites at the moment doesn't mean that they won't at some point. And even if they don't, how ethical is it to buy a Gucci purse, replace the Gucci medallion with a Dasha one and say I made it?
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 February 27, 04:37:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except some paysites aren't even bothering to write sequels, they just take the original novel and change one character's name to Frank, or make the monster a pencil sharpener but fail to remove or rewrite all references to the original lampshade monster.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: