PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 07:28:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  But... no comments on this?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: But... no comments on this?  (Read 26566 times)
missnaughty
ARR!

View Profile
But... no comments on this?
« Reply #75 on: 2007 May 23, 09:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is quite a lot of stuff out there that is quite nice, but I see what you mean.  I feels cool to be using stuff from the site and saysing "Na Na Na Na Na" to the paysites.  :lol:
bayrou
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 May 23, 12:01:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sorry to say it again but this topic is desesperating.. how can you be so naive..

please stop looking the world as bad and good ones.. EA are not angels! do they let us share our games?

Okay paysites are bad.. i'm here so this suppose that i'm agree with this.. (even if I think that they make better quality than free sites! off course some free sites are also very good but most of time they make too few updates)

but this not means that automatically I have to consider EA like heroes or poor victims! they are the kings of greediness!

do you find normal that add ons are so expensives! worst: do you see the price they ask for content stuff (glamour and others..) the base game is already enough expensive so they could offer additionnal content for free or at least for a reasonable price..

they're also robbers so I'll not cry for them if people use their content to make money.. and i'll not believe them when they say that they're against paysites.. they would do something before if it was the case.. they don't need us to inform them or to remember them that paysites exists they know it very well!

have you been invited to "fan day" celebration? all importants webmasters were there and their sites are not all free..!
washout
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007 May 23, 12:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, because paysites were not dangerous to them before. Now that H&M is coming, they could very well be.
bayrou
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 May 23, 12:15:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and why would it be different with H&M??
MoonDragon
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 May 23, 12:16:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Heinel"
Quote from: "MoonDragon"
What I was asking is if there was anything undeniably official to end this war once and for all.  Why I ask is that I have been sitting on some pay files I've fixed for my own uses and want to share but I don't want the drama that traditionally goes with it until I know EA is on my side.  (My hoped contribution to the war effort:  Outdo the paysites by improving their own stuff.)

People over at SFV had already been doing that.  If you're ready to release anything, that's an already-established outlet for you.

Groovy.  I'm still waiting for my confirmation email from them but I'll look into it when it goes through.

Quote from: "JFederated"
'Scuse me, I just 'squeed' a little. That's a favorite dream of mine - a bunch of experienced artists in concerted effort fix a bunch of paycrap, like Peggy's poleaxed hairdos, and offer it up w/before and afters, putting the point on what kind of ripoffs so many of these pay files are...it's a greedy dream, as I couldn't mesh or even recolor my way out of a burning building.

lol  I'd guess that it would be easier to do something similar as an alternative than it would be to fix the mess that is Peggy hair.  But it sounds like you need to check out SFV too.

Quote from: "CaptainJojoba"
Off topic: if they did go free magicly over night, would anyone download their stuff?

I love Cyclone Sue's industrial stuff.  What's the name of that gothy one ... Akiena Guinea?  I like some of that too.  Otherwise I don't care much for TSR.  Peggy is a waste of hard drive space, going free wouldn't make it better no matter how many times she touchs up her preview pics.  World Sims ... is that the site charging for free stuff by other people?  My fingers feel infected just typing Carla Niven.

I don't see it changing my download habits much.  It would be nice if Raonjen and Rose stuck around though.  I have some of their hair in my game.
washout
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 May 23, 12:17:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you read the entire thread? I don't know who said it, but they were right. With two companies merging to make one product one of the clauses on the contract will most definitely be for third parties not to sell their stuff.\
ETA: Or H&M could demand a part of the profit that all big paysites make, which would actually be really funny.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2007 May 23, 12:36:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "bayrou"
sorry to say it again but this topic is desesperating.. how can you be so naive..

please stop looking the world as bad and good ones.. EA are not angels! do they let us share our games?

How is this even the same thing?  Almost any software product that is commercially produced is not supposed to be shared.  That would be against the business that produced it.  They don't sell them, they don't make money, they go out of business.  No more product.   That is the way it works.   Fan sites are not supposed to be a business.  It is one thing to ask for donations to help keep a site going, it is another to ask for subscriptions to pay people to make stuff as a job.  There are already people who make stuff for the game as a job.  They are the EA games people.  

Okay paysites are bad.. i'm here so this suppose that i'm agree with this.. (even if I think that they make better quality than free sites! off course some free sites are also very good but most of time they make too few updates)

Well, you can think that all you want, but many people here would disagree.  I find the best stuff is at MTS2, Insim, PC-Sims, MATY all for free.  There are also free creators that make rocking stuff.  Many of whom are here.  Are you telling us that the free creators here (Nouk, calalily, etc) make things that are of lesser quality than Peggy or Buntah?

but this not means that automatically I have to consider EA like heroes or poor victims! they are the kings of greediness!

How? They are a business.  If you don't want to pay for their product then don't.  No one is saying this anyway.  I have not heard one person say "Oh poor EA games."

do you find normal that add ons are so expensives! worst: do you see the price they ask for content stuff (glamour and others..) the base game is already enough expensive so they could offer additionnal content for free or at least for a reasonable price..

Again.  They are a business.  It is called supply and demand.  If people didn't buy it then they wouldn't sell it or would reduce the price.  Capitalism 101.  What would be a reasonable price to you?   Or you can just wait and eventually the price drops, especially as S3 gets closer.  You sound anti-capitalist.  

they're also robbers so I'll not cry for them if people use their content to make money.. and i'll not believe them when they say that they're against paysites.. they would do something before if it was the case.. they don't need us to inform them or to remember them that paysites exists they know it very well!

How are they robbers?  Are you completely insane?  As far as the rest of this statement, only time will tell.  

have you been invited to "fan day" celebration? all importants webmasters were there and their sites are not all free..!

They invited the largest webmasters in the simsverse, free or otherwise.  I have no idea if they knew beforehand if some of these sites were pay.  It is looking like the Maxoids did, EA games did not.  There is obviously some kind of internal dispute as to what is OK and what is not. Hopefully, it will be sorted out one way or another soon.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: 2007 May 23, 14:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA Corporate people are involved as they have never been before. Remember, EA bought Maxis and some old Maxians came along to keep those games going...and so-called "maxoids" always seemed to be in favor of paysites (or at least willing to turn a blind eye). Now, we have EA's Legal department as well as others who are NOT former Maxis guys involved.

Also note: EA has a new CEO as of April 1, 2007, and everything I've read about him suggests he's both hands on (used to be chief operations officer) and ready to clean house. It's a transition time, as EA has aquired several smaller gaming companies, and there's any amount of dead weight, nonproductive tribal knowledge, etc. The fact that the legal department is now getting involved is a sign that EA's looking at their customer base and learning about them, which they hadn't done before.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Tramen
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 May 23, 14:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and why would it be different with H&M??

Because if people were selling anything with their logo on it, without their knowledge there would be some serious bitching from their end, so EA will have to make sure this doesn't happen, otherwise they could loose alot of money if H&M decide to sue or pull out from doing it.
FreeForMeAlso
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 May 23, 15:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of the whole selling things with a logo, has any one ever sent letters to companies informing them that there are sim sites making money off their intellectual property?  

Exemn has several "teddy bears" of popular kids charters, Pooh, is Disney and they are notorious for copyright infringement (that day care thing).  Doesn't Sim Chic have things like D&G and other brand names that I cannot remember? LOL  Or Vita sims and their celebrity sims.  That one I've never felt was right. If you make it for free thats one thing, but to sell the likeness of a celebrity (or anyone) with out their permission just doesnt seem right.

I'm still a bit skeptic, but hopeful.  It would be so wonderful if EA took a firm stance on the whole pay site issue.  I don't think that EA would have to lay out any money, I think that the community will self police itself.  After all isn't that what this site and SVF are doing.  Evening the playing field?

And to bayrou get your head out of your ass...pay sites make better stuff because you have to pay for it...err...whatever! :evil:
Rissa
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 May 23, 15:44:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There have been several paysets that had to be taken down because of copywrite. There have been two paysets at SimsConnection (Starbucks and Barh & Bodyworks) and one payset at Retailsims (Krispy Kreme).

Tramen
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 May 23, 15:45:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "FreeForMeAlso"
Exemn has several "teddy bears" of popular kids charters, Pooh, is Disney and they are notorious for copyright infringement (that day care thing).  Doesn't Sim Chic have things like D&G and other brand names that I cannot remember? LOL  Or Vita sims and their celebrity sims.  That one I've never felt was right. If you make it for free thats one thing, but to sell the likeness of a celebrity (or anyone) with out their permission just doesnt seem right.

Christ, I totally forgot about that! But then again, I don't have any of those in my game, especially NOT the Vita celebrity sims :oops:
rickets
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 May 23, 16:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Random information regarding my pet H&M conspiracy theory.

I'm not a lawyer or even one of those "internet lawyers" that turn up all the time on forums.  I do deal with clearances (copyrights and trademarks used in media) so I know a lot of about what companies let you do and don't do.

I emailed H&M corporate and asked a question about their trademark and reselling it and they told me to contact a company called MarkMonitor if I knew of any violations.  H&M is apparently very protective of their trademark and they pay MarkMonitor to troll the web and auction sites to make sure their name and merchandise isn't being counterfeited and resold.

Wonder what MarkMonitor would make of Carla Niven?
Tramen
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 May 23, 16:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He'd probably want a gallon of bleach written into his contract to cleanise his brain :lol:

I think most big companies like H&M would get snotty if they saw someone bar themselves making profit out of their logo, which could make for some good reading when this expansion comes out :lol:
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 2007 May 23, 16:20:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, Disney has to be really careful with Pooh, as the characters are licensed from the estate of Milne still, and they got in trouble before for overzealous suing on behalf of the characters.  Since they aren't technically theirs to be suing about.

They sued a daycare, the estate found out, licensed the daycare to use the characters, and went all smackdown on Disney's ass.  Everything got sorted out, and I'm sure they wouldn't be as offended by suing in a case like this, but yeah.

I'm sure free artists would make more updates if they didn't, you know, work legitimate jobs but they're not dishonest scumbags.  Also, pay stuff isn't better, it's nearly all quantity above quality since they need to make MORE and MORE shit to sell.

do you find normal that add ons are so expensives!

Yes.  Ever buy expansions for another game?

worst: do you see the price they ask for content stuff (glamour and others..)

I blame that on paysites.  I'm sure some little guy saw that places were charging and suggested selling just "stuff" to a higher up and bam.

the base game is already enough expensive

It's not.

so they could offer additionnal content for free

They do.

or at least for a reasonable price..

Expansions are pretty reasonable.  Do you even LOOK at other games ever?

they're also robbers

WHAT THE FUCK?  NO.

so I'll not cry for them if people use their content to make money..

They aren't robbers, and they make money legally whereas paysites don't.  And paysites also do stuff like ban people without a real reason and keep their money, TSR also holds artists' content hostage to keep their file count high.

and i'll not believe them when they say that they're against paysites.. they would do something before if it was the case.. they don't need us to inform them or to remember them that paysites exists they know it very well!

Never underestimate the nebulousness or stupidity of a huge conglomorate corporation.  The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing, so this isn't out of line at all.

Besides, if you really fucking hate EA so much, then pirate their shit, too.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: