PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 07:02:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 9 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 911102 times)
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #3195 on: 2008 December 04, 20:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is an alternative story developing on another site I frequent that says Walt spent the days between buying the site and announcing himself calmly setting up his new server and transferring all the data.  He went off for his 4-day turkey break leaving us to rampage all over the site simply because it didn't matter.

If this were true, wouldn't he be able to immediately restore the site to it's original condition?

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: 2008 December 04, 20:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Palemato, that's a damn good question. Got any answers, Inge?

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: 2008 December 04, 20:29:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If this were true, wouldn't he be able to immediately restore the site to it's original condition?

In the alternative story he has already given notice to quit the existing hosting at the end of this month, and has the site data already transferred in its pre-riot condition on the new host's server (he doesn't have his own colocated server - it's just one rented one or the other).  There would be no need for him to bother restoring order on the old one that may only have a few days left to run anyway.   Now he's just waiting for the domain to resolve to the new IP.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: 2008 December 04, 20:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry to say this, but Inge's explanation makes sense.  It's hard to believe that any,  you know, grown human being could be as imbecilic as Walt was coming off.  Unethical, yes.  Completely feckless, no.  As I said before, I suspect he'll come out of this with a stash. He'll sit it out until the "angry users"  Roll Eyes move on to something else, and then lure a new audience of sheeplets.  I have a bad feeling about this one.

Inge, if you can reveal your source, I'd be interested in reading it directly.

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: 2008 December 04, 20:41:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just a theory we've been building up between us at http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php/topic,2256.400.html

itslikethis
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: 2008 December 04, 20:42:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wouldn't be surprising at all if he had done backup immediately upon purchase.  It also wouldn't be surprising if K/E provided the most recent backup to him.

Worst case scenario, if he does a full restore, each creator who doesn't want to be there anymore just goes in and calmly deletes all their threads, leaving clear messages for any members still there (or new ones who join) with a link to the new site.  He certainly can't ban every single creator and prevent that from happening.  Well he could but it would only make him look worse (if that's possible!).

This could work out very well btw...great way to spam his forum after the fact with links to the new site Wink  So, I don't have any concerns about him having a backup.  If he doesn't respect creators wishes when they ask to leave or ask for there creations to be removed, his name will be even more mud than it is now.

And yeah, the big IF....if he was screwing around with the DB without a backup, he could be SOL unless he finds someone to repair whatever tables he borked.  IF the domain is just down for a server transfer and it comes back up, everyone can just deal with it then.

« Last Edit: 2008 December 04, 20:47:56 by itslikethis » Logged
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3201 on: 2008 December 04, 20:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the alternative story he has already given notice to quit the existing hosting at the end of this month, and has the site data already transferred in its pre-riot condition on the new host's server (he doesn't have his own colocated server - it's just one rented one or the other).  There would be no need for him to bother restoring order on the old one that may only have a few days left to run anyway.   Now he's just waiting for the domain to resolve to the new IP.

This, unfortunately, does make a kind of sense.  Especially if he makes it so that you cannot delete threads or attachments a la TSR.  Then the files are up no matter what. 

However, why did he bother even coming on and introducing himself and telling us of his plans, if he already had this in mind?  Why bother?

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
recalibrator
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: 2008 December 04, 20:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, as I understand, we were playing with him and he was playing with us. I think we have now a problem.
NorthenLight
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: 2008 December 04, 20:49:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If he is playing with us, give EA a poke. Let's see what they think of a non-player selling what is basically their code.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: 2008 December 04, 20:52:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, why did he bother even coming on and introducing himself and telling us of his plans, if he already had this in mind?  Why bother?

To test out the staff, see who would be "reasonable" to his new business model, before letting them have admin powers over the new server.

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: 2008 December 04, 20:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, as I understand, we were playing with him and he was playing with us. I think we have now a problem.

We don't know what he was doing or if he was doing anything. All we have is speculation. We don't have a problem no matter what, because Pescado has copies of the sites, and people can and will go there instead.

When something can readily be explained by stupidity, it's silly to ascribe it to conspiracy.

AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: 2008 December 04, 20:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, maybe Pes can be an admin at the new site, too.   Cool

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: 2008 December 04, 20:58:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, gee, guess I'm out on my ass. It was so fucking worth it!! Stupid fuck comes in, acts like a douchebag on steroids and drives people out! Classic blunder of ego over brains. He has a massive ego. Not much sense, but a massive ego. I honestly think he doesn't have the sense to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the hell, but that's just me.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
HystericalParoxysm
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: 2008 December 04, 21:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If he is playing with us, give EA a poke. Let's see what they think of a non-player selling what is basically their code.

EA has utterly no incentive to get involved in such a dispute.  It would cost them money to no benefit to them.  They've washed their hands of the paysite business, crawled in bed with TSR, and pulled the covers over their eyes.  I can pretty much guarantee you any response (if you got one at all) would be to consult your own lawyers.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3209 on: 2008 December 04, 21:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If they are not bothered by TSR they are not going to be bothered by this Walt character, especially if he continues the site with just ads or donations.  Even if he didn't EA doesn't seem to give a flying fuck what anyone does.   Roll Eyes  There are plenty of people being scammed and EA does nothing.  If people want to donate and continue on there, we can't do much either.  

Now if Walt comes back up, and doesn't remove other creators downloads as per their wishes then we need to attack.  The way I figure Walt apparently has other things to do than to just babysit a forum night and day, and there are several of us, and he has lost most of his staff so I think we can make a significant impact and hope he gets really tired of continuous drama and banning.  

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: