PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 21:19:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Dedicated Server
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dedicated Server  (Read 33596 times)
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #45 on: 2007 January 13, 09:52:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it that amount once off, per year, or per month?

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #46 on: 2007 January 13, 09:57:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Per year. Or, more specifically, for this year. The option to renegotiate rates exist next year due to the hardware obsolescence issue (or otherwise we'd just see what they had as their current plans and switch).

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
Chinese their basically buying their own computer with 2100. So the computer is not running other sites, except MATY and if they some site hosting. For that price though you could get more HD. My computer was custom built for less than that, and I had two HDS of 200 GBtes each.

That's essentially the idea, yes. The computer would not be running anything I didn't tell it to run. The base are entirely belong to us.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #47 on: 2007 January 13, 12:38:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, of course the more you spend, the more you can demand in return. But this is true whatever you do with a site.

The worst effect I've experienced so far with the sites (the phorum part here and MATY) was the last ~24h downtime. Sometimes is slower, sometimes not.
If the problem was no phorum/maty/booty unless on dedicated server, this would be another issue, but if the problem is only about occasional borked service, I would not worry too much.

After all, there was no claim to be "the best top quality downloading site for free in the world", but only the "we can do what paysites do with no need to FORCE you to pay for". And - on a side note - this site do much more than any single paysite do.
And this would remain true even with a voluntary donation scheme, which is incidentally also one of the methods this site supports and encourages.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #48 on: 2007 January 13, 18:04:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The phorum for me is accessible, occasionally it goes down, but the front site page, and all that are never up for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Not everyone out there will be able to get the booty either, its kind of like unreliable at this point, so something needs to be done, and the phorum is growing daily.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #49 on: 2007 January 13, 18:07:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We're nearly 20% of the way there now.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #50 on: 2007 January 13, 18:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Elaborate Pescado 20% for? Donations?...If its paypay where do we send the donations?

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #51 on: 2007 January 13, 18:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

20% for the $2100 needed for a dedicated server.  Aka $400.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #52 on: 2007 January 13, 18:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
20% for the $2100 needed for a dedicated server.  Aka $400.

Wow! That's brilliant! So fast, too!

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Moose
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #53 on: 2007 January 13, 20:47:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Siedler"
Hello! I registered a long time ago but forgot my username, so here I'm again. I wondered what happened to the booty but now I see.  Sad
I have a suggestion, though. How about making it as torrent site? The files are shared with peers (=people) so you only have to host the tracker. Smiley

The only problem with that, is a lot of people don't have torrent clients, or have chosen not to have a torrent client. Myself included.
postergirl
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #54 on: 2007 January 13, 20:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Moose"
The only problem with that, is a lot of people don't have torrent clients, or have chosen not to have a torrent client. Myself included.

That's pretty much just like the people on MTS2 always bitching about not having WinRAR. I guess you make the leap and download it, go without, or... you know, come up with the $1700 we still need for a dedicated server. :wink:

That said, I don't dislike the torrent idea as much as the everyone hosting a portion of the files idea. And I like the forum idea too.

size=9]why we all gotta look, gotta act the same? i say, if you're born a lion don't bother trying to act tame.[/size]
icedwhitemocha
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #55 on: 2007 January 13, 20:58:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I donated what I can.  I agree with toomanyguppies - what this site has accomplished is incredible and we can't afford to "start coming apart at the seams" now.  
I don't really think we'll have egg on our faces for this.  If anything, it should prove that while we may bandy about the label of "pirates!" with good humor, we are not simply trying to get stuff for free.  In a sense, we are paying for the pay content - but we're doing it the way communities *should* do it.

KA Polonius.
Exnem sims
Moose
Landlubber

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #56 on: 2007 January 13, 21:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the latest version of Opera browser includes some kind of built-in torrent client and there must be an extension for Firefox too.  Smiley

Not everybody uses Firefox either  :wink:
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Dedicated Server
« Reply #57 on: 2007 January 13, 21:04:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the latest version of Opera browser includes some kind of built-in torrent client and there must be an extension for Firefox too.  Smiley

Not everybody uses Firefox either  :wink:

I use IE. I can't get FF to WORK on my PC. Besides, I find it incredibly ugly.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #58 on: 2007 January 13, 21:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Asking this again, so I can again donate.
Is this paypal, who do we send it too, what account? Is there a donate button around here Im missing?
Please post details.

BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Dedicated Server
« Reply #59 on: 2007 January 13, 21:28:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

View the second post in this thread.

Also, we're up to $700 currently.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: