PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 11, 04:43:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  For Lyriclee
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: For Lyriclee  (Read 146090 times)
Xerolize
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #120 on: 2006 October 27, 20:57:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since i like bluesoup i'll stop this now. Back to the scheduled program.
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
For Lyriclee
« Reply #121 on: 2006 October 27, 21:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apologies to BlueSoup from myself, I misunderstood what you were saying in the first place.

url=http://www.scumbox.co.uk/urapirate.swf]A pirate's life for me![/url]
exnemsims exnemsims
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #122 on: 2006 October 27, 21:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No problem, guys. Smiley
Enelar
Landlubber

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #123 on: 2006 October 27, 23:03:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh boy.. this arguement again about creators getting paid for their time.  :roll:

For the record, I have spent most of my adult life writing fanfic, fan-novels and original fiction. I've spent more time on that than any of the Sims creators have spent on any item ever made and I haven't gotten paid a dime. Most often, I share my work with those who appreciate it and might be inspired to write their own or just be made happy by it. That's my payment - my work being enjoyed by another and if people want to donate to me a resource book I need or artwork or money for bandwidth (back when I had a site) or ink for my printer, well then I let them but I don't charge for my many weeks, months and sometimes years of effort. I think a 600 page fan novel takes considerably more work than a hair recolor and I never charged anyone $10 per page.

Plus.. now here's the most important part... I choose to write just like creators choose to make items. It's not a job, it's something done for fun and enjoyment. No one makes these creators put out new objects, no one forces them to design new meshes. They do it to improve the game. Now if they themselves had created and owned The Sims 2 - they could by all rights charge... but they don't. It's just like fanfic, the parent company is allowing them to use their resources to create and so long as the items in question are for The Sims 2, only EA owns the right to charge per item. Be thankful EA isn't cracking down and allows players to create and distribute fan content. Keep abusing the system and they might start.

As for the game costing alot. Well.. it does. I've spent $350 this year between expansion packs and upgrades to my computer. The point being made is the game is expensive enough without paysites trying to milk every last drop. Let's face it, EA is pretty shitty when it comes to content for male sims. If I want say long hair on my male sim, why should I have to fork over $20 to someone who maybe put a few hours of work into shaping a mesh? Why shouldn't EA get any of that money? We pay that much for a "stuff pack" and the community is already unhappy about that, why give that much to one site for maybe a few meshes?

Another important point - not everyone has a credit card or Paypal. By making a site pay, you're shutting those folks out and as one of those who didn't have either option for years, I can say that sucks pretty hard. A lot of folks I knew in the Sims 1 days who were file sharers were under 18 or in other countries where Paypal wasn't available. Okay sure, tell them to do without. Well maybe that would be okay if you had any right to charge and make profit to begin with..

So if it costs so much.. why do I buy the Sims? To be honest, it distracts me from my disability and fills the long hours while I'm stuck inside. I'm sorry if someone thinks I'm not entitled to a hobby because my income level won't allow me to afford $50 in paysites per month. I do tend to go without a few things when a new expansion comes out but it's not something I could afford all the time. Rest assured if it cost $15 to play the Sims every month, I wouldn't. I don't play WoW or Evercrack or any of those pay per month games.

Now the mean and snarky remark.. if these creators are that talented and that deserving of being paid.. why aren't they working for a computer gaming company or in jobs as computer programmers or doing anything in that field?

And lastly, Lyriclee's attitude upsets me. I know mods suffer from tons of stress and bullshit but the whole reason they are chosen as mods is because they are suppose to know how to handle that without reverting to behaving like a child and waving a ban stick while uttering the F word. Moderators are also expected to obey their own rules. If Lyriclee behaved that way and wasn't a mod, don't you think her ass would be banned?

I ramble.. I think I'll get some coffee

Kill fandom now, got it memorized?
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #124 on: 2006 October 27, 23:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I completely and totally agree with everything you just said. So let me just say

"Ditto."
kathy
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #125 on: 2006 October 27, 23:33:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And lastly, Lyriclee's attitude upsets me. I know mods suffer from tons of stress and bullshit but the whole reason they are chosen as mods is because they are suppose to know how to handle that without reverting to behaving like a child and waving a ban stick while uttering the F word. Moderators are also expected to obey their own rules. If Lyriclee behaved that way and wasn't a mod, don't you think her ass would be banned?

First I agree with everything you said... I want to elaborate for a moment though. Moderating/Administrating does get very stressful. Especially if you have a number of people who have acted like complete jerks that day.. so yeah you know we are human. We do "lose" it on occasion. What you need to remember though, or try to, is the fact that most of these people, infact I dare say 95% of them, aren't looking to cause trouble. They are looking for a little help. Sure they might be impatient and might not give you all the details initially regarding their problem/problems but they still deserve help, tolerance and a bit of respect. Every one of us were new at one time.
bollocks
Landlubber

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #126 on: 2006 October 27, 23:38:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "kathy"

First I agree with everything you said... I want to elaborate for a moment though. Moderating/Administrating does get very stressful. Especially if you have a number of people who have acted like complete jerks that day.. so yeah you know we are human. We do "lose" it on occasion. What you need to remember though, or try to, is the fact that most of these people, infact I dare say 95% of them, aren't looking to cause trouble. They are looking for a little help. Sure they might be impatient and might not give you all the details initially regarding their problem/problems but they still deserve help, tolerance and a bit of respect. Every one of us were new at one time.

Spoken like someone straight out of customer service. Cheesy
Remember, you have to deal with them for five minutes. They have to deal with themselves for the rest of their life. Pshaw! (Feel bad for her ickle kiddies.)
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
For Lyriclee
« Reply #127 on: 2006 October 27, 23:47:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think another problem as well is that a lot of admins and mods don't seem to post much outside of correcting people, answering basic questions and the like. So they don't seem a part of that specific board community or regular posters or whatever you want to call it. They kind of seem like the principal while everyone else is in school having fun with each other. Maybe if they relaxed a bit and joined in discussions and posted stuff not related to moderating it would be different.

exnemsims exnemsims
kathy
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #128 on: 2006 October 27, 23:50:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I don't think anyone can say that about me coughpostwhorecough.
Immortal
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #129 on: 2006 October 28, 00:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "kathy"
Well I don't think anyone can say that about me coughpostwhorecough.

LOL...um, if I'm not mistaken you have more posts than anyone else at InSim Tongue

ne by one they died.
A massacre that took all night
They had no chance, it was no fight
You can't kill what has been killed before...
Immortal
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #130 on: 2006 October 28, 00:23:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "ElmoLovesCyclops"
Ok so i'm not sure if this is where i should post this but i've looked around and it seems the most appropriate. I just wanted to voice my opinion on a few things. I really hope you guys can be open minded and not be rude about them either.

- I agree that paysites that call their pay section a donation section are idiots. It is not a donation it is you paying for a product and recieving it.

- In regards to the moderators on S2C and MTS2 i don't think people quite realise how much shit they have to put up with. They are using their own free time to keep a website (which you gotta admit we all love) free and running. They have hundreds of complaints from whingey little 14 year olds every day and quite often are forced to deal with some of the most unintelligent shit you've ever heard. I know i would definately get frustrated after awhile if i had hundreds of people a week come to me with their internet dilemmas just because they can't find the maturity to deal with it themselves. I do also agree that it is quite often that people don't like a mod because they don't like them on a personal level. Moderators often discuss situations with other moderators before making any decisions. Try being in a moderating position yourself before you judge other moderators so harshly. Also remember...lyric may have gone wrong in some ways (i'm not fully aware of the dispute) but i'm trying to give you a basic understanding of the moderators position so you can have some empathy.

I don't?  Both my boyfriend and I were former MTS2/S2C staff members.  The most drama I was ever involved in there was caused by fellow staff members.

ne by one they died.
A massacre that took all night
They had no chance, it was no fight
You can't kill what has been killed before...
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
For Lyriclee
« Reply #131 on: 2006 October 28, 00:25:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with that, PirateBooty, is that a board may be so freakin' busy (or lame and childish Tongue) that the mods don't have time to do much else than moderate.  If they were a member before they became a moderator, then their friends might even be resentful of it as well.

I can't imagine it's easy to be a moderator, but that is still no excuse to treat others like LyricLee does.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Re: ..my two cents..
« Reply #132 on: 2006 October 28, 00:32:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "simplystella"
What I found really amusing was how a simple statement ("it's not legal to sell Sims 2 custom content") was turned into a general message against every kind of online commerce  :?

My favorite part of the discussion was where someone own-goaled their argument by bringing in World of Warcrap gold-selling as a defense for the validity of paysites....except World of Warcrap gold-selling is verboten and you can be banned for doing it.

Quote from: "simplystella"
Unluckly, this means I missed the final part of the thread.. since it was deleted (so if anybody have it saved somewhere.. I'd love to read the rest Cheesy )

The entire disaster area was clipped and saved here. Enjoy.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 2006 October 28, 00:57:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

The entire disaster area was clipped and saved here. Enjoy.

That's the one I did for SFV! =p

exnemsims exnemsims
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2006 October 28, 01:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "PirateBooty"
That's the one I did for SFV! =p

Yes, yes it is. I was wondering what you decided to be named here.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: