PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 01:00:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us  (Read 44167 times)
Scratch
Landlubber

View Profile
EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
« Reply #75 on: 2006 November 13, 22:34:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a Sims2 creator. I've created nothing and don't plan on creating anything. I play the game, that's it.

In defense of creators though, something i've learned in life.....

If you are going to hold me responsible for my mistakes, then you are going to hold me responsible for my sucesses...

So, if i was going to create something for sims2, i would like to get the recognition and appreciation for my creation, not for being a creator.

One reason MTS bugs me..." {insert empty platitudes here} ,downloading", but very few of those people come back after downloading and give an honest opinion or critique, and, in some threads, the few that do are dismissed. So, if i was a creator, i'd definately post somewhere that people were honest, like, um, i don't know, somewhere like, um, MATY maybe...

nuff said, off to the store  :arrow:
Benjamina
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 November 13, 22:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I think it's been said time and time again, and yet it is still worth repeating, MTS2 is not the place you want to go to give an honest opinion that extends beyond "Thanks, this is great!"

Heaven help you if you actually give an honest critique there!

ll right. No more Ms. Nice Guy.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 November 13, 23:00:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Payton"
Nouk, I can understand that people would like credit, but when they go batshit crazy because they didnt get it? When nearly every download at MTS2 is marked with be sure to thank me and credit me? Thats when I say, come on get over yourself a little, its game content not the nobel prize.

It just really bugs me is all. I dont feel obligated to share my things, in fact I share very little of what I make, I do take requests, if I feel I have time and I dont expect anything in return, not even a thank you, the fact that it was downloaded and not complained about is good enough indicator that they liked it for me. I would be flattered if someone actually got people to pay for something I made, or felt it was good enough to claim as their own, or that they liked it enough to want to share it with others, or they wanted to improve upon it, recolor it whatever.  I must be batshit insane myself. I give up. I will never understand it I dont think.

Well I'm glad there are people with different opinions, or this life would be so boring Smiley
I've not yet seen someone go bat crazy over not being credited yet, but I'm sure it has happened, with all the drama queens out there. I swear, half the creators are insane! Especially the good ones! :lol:

Inactive
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 November 13, 23:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What good is a "thank you" if it's forced out of someone who was either "raised" to say it for everything that is given to them (even if they don't actually appreciate it) or if they are forced to do so because people are glorywhores?  What good do you get out of it, knowing that at least half, if not more, of those are not really sincere?

I'll say thanks when I feel like it and when I mean it (like I'll usually say thanks to my bus driver, because I know if that were me, I would've gone flippin' crazy over the hell these kids raise).  I'm mostly a lurker, so unless I really want to say something, or I just feel like being silly and know that someone would appreciate it, I won't say anything.

I don't want people telling me things just to make me feel better if they aren't being sincere about it.  Maybe it's just me, but I could care fuck all if no one ever commented on the stories or poems I randomly post on different sites.  Maybe someone read it and didn't feel like saying anything, like I usually am.  Or maybe no one read it.  It really doesn't matter.  I don't beg for attention, and it's annoying when creators do it, whether their items are free or not.  If they really were in it because they love to do it and it's a hobby, then there's no need to beg or ask for attention.  I write because I love to do it, because it keeps popping up at me throughout the years--but I never begged or threatened people into reading it.

Again, it could be just me.

(Edited because I can't spell.  Blargh.)
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 November 13, 23:28:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree, Ensign, it's like when people write for the reviews, not for the enjoyment of telling a story.

Bus drivers scare me, especially when they flip out. I've seen it happen and its not pretty.

Come visit Sammytopia
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 November 13, 23:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh jeez, FanFiction.net all over again.  Shocked  When I still did the fan fiction thing I hated when a story I found entertaining enough to want to continue reading was being held hostage because the author wanted to have so many comments before continuing.  :x

Granted, I usually ended up scrapping most of my fan fiction because I hated where it was going, but I never held the story hostage for reviews.  Tongue
Pineapplebrain
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2006 November 13, 23:40:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ensign, I agree to a point. I write a lot, as well. And I write for the enjoyment. But I also want people to read what I write and give me responses. I don't necessarily want the responses to be drooling praise. But I want to improve as a writer, and I believe that other people's opinions, especially when they give constructive criticism, help people to improve.

So I thank people who create wonderful content. And I also understand why people would want to be credited for their work, since they did put time and effort into it. But at the same time, I don't think it's so terrible if some people forget to give credit. Sometimes everyone just needs to calm down, take a deep breath, and share the peace and love (joking...just a little bit ).
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 November 13, 23:45:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't saying that I wouldn't appreciate constructive criticism and sincere comments--I just don't beg for it or throw a fit if it doesn't happen.  That was my main point.  If someone wants to offer up real criticism or an honest thanks for the random smatterings of stuff I do, I'll gladly take it and usually offer a thanks back.
Pineapplebrain
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2006 November 13, 23:46:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, sorry for the misunderstandment. I completely agree then!
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 November 13, 23:48:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sucks when the person says "Gimme reviews or I won't continue to write", because reviews can become meaningless in that case.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 November 13, 23:52:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pineapplebrain"
Ah, sorry for the misunderstandment. I completely agree then!

S'cool.  I love attention as much as the next person.  :wink:

When people hold their stuff hostage for lack of attention, I just stop reading it.  Unless the author was among the really popular that got reviews on everything they did, chances were by the time they collected enough reviews, the author either abandoned it or I just lost interest in it completely.
Mat Cauthon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 November 14, 00:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see both sides of this issue.  I remember when I wrote a sim story and posted it a few places (sims2community included) I did whine a little because I thought my story was a lot better than most of the stories there and those other stories were getting way more readers and worshipful praise than mine was.  Looking back on the experience though I realize that I was being childish.  People should give praise and thanks when they feel appreciative of the creation and not be forced into it with demands and whining.  

I guess that is the part about demanding credit and thanks that bothers me.  My opinion it that credit should be given, but not demanded.  I have no problem with people putting a small reminder for credit on their creations; I just don't like the huge, bold letter, all caps, takes up half a page disclaimer that some of these creators put on their creations.  It just really turns me off for some reason.  I will say thanks and also write a nice post if some is just really spectacular and I love it so much that I can't keep it inside.  Then I fairly gush praise and probably scare the creator a little, but at least they know I am sincere! LOL!

Mat
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: 2006 November 14, 00:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Agreed. Thanks because they're expected, forced or out of courtesy with no real meaning are useless.

I wonder how many thanks people would have if you took those kinds away.

url=http://www.scumbox.co.uk/urapirate.swf]A pirate's life for me![/url]
exnemsims exnemsims
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 November 14, 00:21:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, quite a few, I would think. A lot of people just like to say thank you when they like something and want to just say thanks for the work. I have no real problem with that at all, especially since it really is nice to know your work is appreciated. I also was just as happy on MTS2 when people just clicked the thanks button. I don't think the problem is with people saying thanks, it's with the way that criticism or feedback has become almost completely frowned upon over there, especially when a person is new. I have seen critiques posted and the creator just kind of pulls a "wah, why are you picking on me, I'm new and I worked hard!", and then everyone jumps on the person who was kind enough to give their feedback like they were an evil person.

As a creator, I understand perfectly how much time and effort goes into these things. Still, I can honestly say that a LOT of creators out there just need to get over themselves.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 November 14, 00:26:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's always good to know that what you're doing is appreciated. It does give a boost.

And yeah... the "Be nice, it's my first upload" effect... :roll: there's nothing much to say. Good thing the rating feature was removed from MTS2. I'm pretty sure some people gave 4-5 so they don't get too offended by low rating.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: