PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 13:20:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR Sharing your infomation!
0 Members and 24 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 276 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Sharing your infomation!  (Read 1074804 times)
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
Re: TSR Sharing your infomation!
« Reply #3285 on: 2009 February 16, 22:48:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To my knowledge, EA never changed the EULA, as much as TSR was claiming it.

And you are right - I see nothing wrong with my selling knit patterns that are original, or even an knit object that was worked from an existing pattern I bought, but I'd never sell my sims creations.  The difference is, as pointed out by Valancy, is a legal thing.  But there is also a moral thing.  If I make the pattern, there is an infinite number of copies I can sell, however, if someone buys one of my patterns than shares it, than that's legal too and no one would question it.  For some reason, with sims things its different - perhaps if payobjects were firleshare friendly, gave actual real support, and worried about giving fair value for a buck, then so many people might not be ready to rip apart paysites now.

I hope that made sense.

TSR was right in saying the EULA did change, but its wording was made even worse. I forget how it is worded, but it is different wording then what was used for almost 4 years. But it still says that you can't sell items made by the tools and material. So TSR is still illegal, but its not like if paysites were legal now, TSR would be legal, there is more to it then selling pixels.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
ValancySterling
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3286 on: 2009 February 16, 22:55:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was the point I was trying to make-I should have added the illegal part so it didn't get misunderstood! Of course there is NO problem with making money off a hobby that is NOT trademarked by someone else (as well as based off other people's work). I am a cellist and I play for fun and I can also play for an event and get paid for it. It really is a hobby for me though-so yeah no issues there! But when you are a violator of the EULA that's when there's an issue with making money off a hobby. Because let's face it we play the sims for fun as a hobbyTongue Thanks for pointing this out so my post could be clearer!

No problem.  I just wanted to clarify the point because one anti-paysite argument I see tossed around every so often is "it's just a hobby and I shouldn't have to pay for it".  Well, I don't know of hobby you don't invest some money in.  Even in the case of sims, you pay money to EA.

And to everyone who else whose replied--I'm not trying to defend FA's or paysites.  What they do is shitty.  But I think my comparisons stand because in all three cases you are dealing with copyright issues.  Had I made copies of bestselling novels, then what I would have been doing was illegal because it would have been profiting off of someone elses work.  Had my friend used commeical patterns from the big three (Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick), she would have been breaking the law.  In fact, there have been "professional" (I use the term very loosely)  seamstresses who sell their work online who have been busted for using commeical patterns.

As Darqstar pointed out, if the FA's wanted to put their "talents"* to use making money then they have legitimate avenues open to them such as meshing on sites like TurboSquid.

*And I know the scope of their talents probably wouldn't make this feasible for most of them, but in theory if they had talent then they could find more legimate outlets than TSR.

Shameless plug warning:  Please go read my ongoing novel, Dusk Of Innocence here.  I promise, it doesn't suck too bad!
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: 2009 February 16, 23:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As Darqstar pointed out, if the FA's wanted to put their "talents"* to use making money then they have legitimate avenues open to them such as meshing on sites like TurboSquid.

All they have to do is open up their own website to sell their meshes. They could call it TurboShit.  "Everything here sucks."  Of course, getting people to pay for it is another matter. "Come and buy our shitty lamps, from our new and really terrible artist, Dot!"

Speaking of Dot, I was at TSR the other day and I looked at her oldest meshes.  Not all that bad when you see them.  I'd link 'em, but the site is running like glue.  Her older stuff is much better than her newer stuff.     I'm starting to really believe that  FA'dom = becoming worse. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3288 on: 2009 February 16, 23:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know you can't sell sewn items from a major pattern, but then I don't follow patterns either, not outside of stitch ones.  I love designing my own stuff.

I did give thought to SL meshing, buts such a clunky system.

And some one reads Least I Could Do.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
eternal_darkness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: 2009 February 16, 23:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If Sims CC was useful for something other than just being in the game, I wouldn't mind pay objects as much. But it isn't. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to charge for illegally made pixels, none. The whole bandwidth cost sob story really gets under my skin Angry If it's a small site *cough Rose* it should not cost so much that you have to sell content, or "donation items". Larger sites manage to cover their costs with ACTUAL donations ( no pay for play), so that's no excuse.

The World Will Look Up and Shout, “Save Us!” And I’ll Look Down and Whisper, “No.”
ValancySterling
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3290 on: 2009 February 16, 23:30:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know you can't sell sewn items from a major pattern, but then I don't follow patterns either, not outside of stitch ones.  I love designing my own stuff.

Yeah, but different company's react differently to it.  I guess Simplicity is a bit like EA in that the turn a blind eye to a lot of it while McCall/Butterick are pretty quick with the cease and desisit letters as well as contacting web hosts and having sites shut down.

Shameless plug warning:  Please go read my ongoing novel, Dusk Of Innocence here.  I promise, it doesn't suck too bad!
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3291 on: 2009 February 17, 00:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm starting to really believe that  FA'dom = becoming worse. 

You know, that's a big part of my beef with TSR. Not only are they robbing the community of creators that may otherwise have been valuable assets and respected members, but their pushing for quantity over quality is ruining the creators themselves. There's no room to improve when you've got a quota to reach, no chance to get every detail juuust right, or simply scrap a project when you're not 100% satisfied. Because you'll miss your damn dealine and be kicked.

How they manage to maintain that sugary sweet PG-13 image in a nest of vipers like that is beyond me.

siberiansunset
ARR!

Nimeni on Inigo Montoya...

View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: 2009 February 17, 00:12:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How they manage to maintain that sugary sweet PG-13 image in a nest of vipers like that is beyond me.

Cheesy haha that really sums up what I've been thinking! It really is beyond me... Huh *sigh* We just need to keep preaching the pirate gospel to the masses-and hope people see the light! *be healed!! and don't pass the collection plate to TSR no more!* Tongue Roll Eyes

There's humans and monkeys and you're what God made between.
Oh yeah, SHAKESHIT IS A THIEF!
Set Them Free!
TSR Tool...
They
ARR!

Thoma$$ Excrement!

View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: 2009 February 17, 01:50:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, and yet again the EAxoids are at it with their pleas not to reference Coconut's site, in addition to here and MATY. The PLZ part makes it also look like this EAxoid is a 12 waiting to whine like a spoiled brat.  Roll Eyes
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: 2009 February 17, 02:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, and yet again the EAxoids are at it with their pleas not to reference Coconut's site, in addition to here and MATY. The PLZ part makes it also look like this EAxoid is a 12 waiting to whine like a spoiled brat.  Roll Eyes

The BBS is completely hosed for me.  I keep getting error messages when I try to access it. Anyone got screen shots?

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3295 on: 2009 February 17, 02:30:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Ashbashtus
ARR!

Join us! We haz cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: 2009 February 17, 02:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy Screened:

Yes I know...AOL

"Ook ook, eek eek, motherfucker" -Paden
ShakeShaft's a fucking thief and Thoma$$' little bitch.
TSR, the home of JesusDot
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3297 on: 2009 February 17, 02:50:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MaxisDrea is obviously getting a payoff too.  stupid bitch.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Ashbashtus
ARR!

Join us! We haz cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: 2009 February 17, 02:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MaxisDrea is obviously getting a payoff too.  stupid bitch.

My thoughts exactly. You gotta love how every Pescado site is banned, yet EA depends on him to fix their fuckups...stupid fucktards.

"Ook ook, eek eek, motherfucker" -Paden
ShakeShaft's a fucking thief and Thoma$$' little bitch.
TSR, the home of JesusDot
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: 2009 February 17, 03:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did she sticky that? If so, that's the best advertisement those sites have ever had.

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 276 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: