PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 09:05:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR Sharing your infomation!
0 Members and 22 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 276 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Sharing your infomation!  (Read 1074692 times)
keirra
ARR!

View Profile
Re: TSR Sharing your infomation!
« Reply #3195 on: 2009 February 14, 21:59:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for the rest - plagiarism from a stranger on the internet - I couldn't give a damn.  If you were my student, I'd catch you out and warn you. But, not being your mother or doctor, which I think you should probably take this to, it's officially not my business.

I agree with Cala.

It annoys the crap out of me when a child comes on PMBD tries to act "cool" fails miserably, then starts talking about death and suicide. Go away little 12, this is an adult forum.  Roll Eyes

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3196 on: 2009 February 14, 22:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay.  Here's where I stand on this issue.  I do not believe in using disabilities, mental illness, neurological disorders (etc) as a crutch.  They are what they are.  If you are having problems with it, get help.  But do not use it as an Excuse. deal with it.  Suicidal thoughts?  Okay.  You ain't well.  Once again get help.  I've known people who have made attempts.  Been there myself.  It isn't a funny state to be in.  You got problems?  Okay, having Aspergers can be tough.  But you know what?  You may have a lot of weaknesses, but you also have a lot of strengths too.  Embrace the strengths.  You are high functioning Autism spectrum, which means you learn. So learn, dammit.

Rest of you guys.  Watch it with the suicide thing.  Say the wrong thing and we could have blood on our hands and some very upset parents to deal with.  Seen it before.  Believe me, we really do not want to go there.  Had police talking to one poster about manslaughter charges and everything.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: 2009 February 14, 23:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Made up mental illness, huh?  You fucking spend twelve years with my child and tell me that what's affecting him is imaginary.  Or a social construction. Or just a way to get sympathy.  The dismissal of the possibility that people might be *REALLY DISABLED* in some way makes me furious. "Assburgers"--how very clever. Roll Eyes

I don't know for sure that Gates has Asperger's, obviously, since I haven't diagnosed him.  But multiple sources that I trust say that he does.  And since Asperger's symptoms are on a continuum, there's not a uniform set of behaviors for everyone who has it.  So he can be perfectly good at running his business and his charities and still be affected in some ways.  Not that his diagnosis or lack of it matters to me one way or the other.

I don't condone people using disabilities as a crutch, either.  You have to play the hand you're given.  But don't pretend these things don't exist and don't affect people who have them in serious ways.

ETA: Thanks, Siberian sunset.

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3198 on: 2009 February 14, 23:40:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't be too hard on assburgers emokitten up there. Plagiarism is bad, bragging about it is worse, but what really riles me up is that she apparently had a teacher who didn't even know what the damn paper was supposed to be about and gave a passing grade to a kid who claimed Jesus invented the internet. That's a great topic for a religion/philosophy class, improv or An Introduction to Metaphor and Simile, but not the sort of tech class that was described here. What gets you a passing grade in acting class doesn't work in Science 101. Kids learn by immitation after all. The teacher's a lazy bumfuck who doesn't give a crap? Congrats, you've got a school full of kids getting away with whatever they want because they just don't know any better.

Thanks for the crusty moral outrage, you old-timers. I though nobody cared about plagiarism and the correct citing of sources anymore. My friend (a high school teacher) got chewed out by rabid parents recently because she flunked a kid who just copied his paper of a wiki and didn't understand for the life of him why that was a bad thing. Because mum and dad said it was okay. Roll Eyes

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: 2009 February 15, 00:03:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Made up mental illness, huh?  You fucking spend twelve years with my child and tell me that what's affecting him is imaginary.  Or a social construction. Or just a way to get sympathy.  The dismissal of the possibility that people might be *REALLY DISABLED* in some way makes me furious. "Assburgers"--how very clever. Roll Eyes

Is your son on the 'net being a general idiot and then going, "I can't help it, I've got Aspergers!"  Does he regularly join forums, then toss hissy fits because everyone refuses to kiss his ass, flounce off, then come back and say, "I'm sorry, but you have to take me back because I have Aspergers!"  Does he brag about doing things he shouldn't be doing and when called, say, "LEAVE ME ALONE, I HAZ ASPERGERS!"  

The only reason why Aspergers is up for grabs is because it seems like everyone you meet on the net who has had one bad day is suddenly Aspergers.  And yes, I've known people who really were diagnosed with it, and the big difference I can see is that they rarely mention it, and if they do, it's because they trust you and feel you have the right to know, it's not a "You now have a blanket excuse to act like an utter asshole" card, like half the people on the internet think it is.

Too many people read the symptoms and start diagnosing themselves.  And sadly, since Aspergers is the illness people seem to have fallen in love with,  and like to fake a lot, it's the one that gets called up.  That means when someone starts goonbabbling about how they have Aspergers, particularly after being called on the carpet for being an idiot, their validity will be challenged.  

I don't think your son has done any of these things.  And he isn't on here screaming that we all need to leave him alone because of his aspergers, it's you, his mother telling us.  Thus, I at least, believe for sure that your son really has aspergers not just the cyberform of it.  

I don't know for sure that Gates has Asperger's, obviously, since I haven't diagnosed him.  But multiple sources that I trust say that he does.  And since Asperger's symptoms are on a continuum, there's not a uniform set of behaviors for everyone who has it.  So he can be perfectly good at running his business and his charities and still be affected in some ways.  Not that his diagnosis or lack of it matters to me one way or the other.

See, I have a lot of problems with this ever shifting illness that encompasses a variety of symptoms that can shift and change any given day.  Back when I was in college, I worked with autistic kids.  And you know what?  You knew they were autistic.  Some were more functional than others, but pretty much all of them avoided people, lived in their own little worlds, were extremely healthy and often very good looking.  You didn't throw these kids into a regular classroom, most of them would have no way of making it.  Lunchtime would have been a horrifying experience for them, the cafeteria would have freaked them out.  You didn't need a doctor or special tests to tell you something was wrong with these kids, it was obvious after being with them for five minutes.  

Now, suddenly, I see kids who would have been called shy in my day being called autistic or aspergers.  Three women I work with have autistic children who come into work with them on a regular basis and none of them would ever have made it into any of the autistic classes or centers I had to intern with.  They go to regular school, they have friends, they act pretty much like normal kids to me.  But noooooo, they're alllllll autistic and/or  have aspegers.   One has it because she's very neat.  She keeps her room clean, she picks up after herself, she dislikes clutter.  Growing up that kid would be called "Awesome!"  Now, she's autistic.  One is autistic because he only has a couple friends, he loves music and plays the piano very advanced for his age.  He loves animals and dislikes sports and hates going outside for recess because the bigger kids pick on him.  Growing up, he would have been considered gifted (he gets good grades too)  Now he's autistic.  I don't know what the third one's problem is, but every time I see her, I can't see anything about her that tells me she's any different from many other kids.  

This is why I get pissed when I see big rock stars on VH-1 classic lecturing me about how I need to give all my money to cure autism, because it's the fastest growing disability in the US.  Well, if you're going to start diagnosing everyone who is the slightest bit antisocial as having autism, then yeah, the number of people that have it is going to grow significantly.  They also cry about how there are more kids with it than have type 1 diabetes and childhood cancer, which totally pisses me off, because the indication is there that autism = deadly illness.    My friend lost a daughter to cancer.  My husband's sister died from brittle diabetes when she was in her teens.   Both of them would have been delighted if a doctor had told them, "oops, my bad, it isn't cancer/diabetes, it's autism!"  Because being autistic doesn't kill you.  

I don't condone people using disabilities as a crutch, either.  You have to play the hand you're given.  But don't pretend these things don't exist and don't affect people who have them in serious ways.

ETA: Thanks, Siberian sunset.

Yeah, but the problem is you're blaming the road because the horse shit on it.   Too many people claim to have Aspergers  on the 'net and most of them are lying.  And sadly, the ones who don't have it, are the ones that give it a bad reputation, because they use it as a crutch.  Whereas the people who are legit are more likely not to talk about it, or only mention it when someone who pretends is acting like an asshole.  

I'm sorry about your son, but I'm glad he's got a mother that cares and is trying to help him.  

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: 2009 February 15, 01:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't be too hard on assburgers emokitten up there. Plagiarism is bad, bragging about it is worse, but what really riles me up is that she apparently had a teacher who didn't even know what the damn paper was supposed to be about and gave a passing grade to a kid who claimed Jesus invented the internet. That's a great topic for a religion/philosophy class, improv or An Introduction to Metaphor and Simile, but not the sort of tech class that was described here. What gets you a passing grade in acting class doesn't work in Science 101. Kids learn by immitation after all. The teacher's a lazy bumfuck who doesn't give a crap? Congrats, you've got a school full of kids getting away with whatever they want because they just don't know any better.

Thanks for the crusty moral outrage, you old-timers. I though nobody cared about plagiarism and the correct citing of sources anymore. My friend (a high school teacher) got chewed out by rabid parents recently because she flunked a kid who just copied his paper of a wiki and didn't understand for the life of him why that was a bad thing. Because mum and dad said it was okay. Roll Eyes

I personally would kick my kids ass, but you make a point tho.Just talk to any school teacher and they will tell you about the parents who think their little johnny can do no wrong.  I went to a catholic school with nuns. They would of kicked my ass if I cheated, and if my parents would of whine to them about it, the nuns would kick their ass too!

and thanks Darqstar for your explanation, you said everything I wanted to say .

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3201 on: 2009 February 15, 01:28:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And they don't mention the growing number of children with type 2 diabetes.  That ad ticks me off.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: 2009 February 15, 02:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad was a teacher of the old kind: You earned your grade or you stayed a year behind the other kids your age. I never wrote a paper to please other teachers, I wrote them to please the hardest teacher I ever had, who so happened to be my father. If those reports got past his critical eye, they were good enough to hand in. If they didn't make it past his red marking pen, it was re-do the damn thing til he was satisfied with them. God help you if you EVER tried to copy anything, because he could spot it.

And SF, my dad was also diabetic but he died of colon cancer. The diabetes hit when he was an adult and Dad was too damn stubborn to go on insulin until it was almost out of control. In the end, he had 15% renal function and we both know what that means. He was the most courageous, intelligent and stubborn son of a bitch that I've ever known, and I love and honour his memory above that of anyone else in my life. He lived his life his way for most of his life and didn't leave it until he was in his eighties. He faced up to it with class and guts. I only hope to do it as well as he did when it comes my time.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3203 on: 2009 February 15, 02:13:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad had got his diabetes under control with diet, but died of liver cancer...was so fast.  And I do my best to keep an eye on my mom, 'specially on holidays so she knows she's still loved.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Scourge
Landlubber

To flay skin.

View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: 2009 February 15, 02:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Darqstar's post reminds me of my own experience with the type of people who fake Aspergers for sympathy or for excuse. One of my "friends" told me that her boyfriend has Aspergers and that's why he acts like a complete fuckfacedsonvabitchtwat. This guy has stated that he -enjoys- watching his girlfriend cry, he enjoys playing headgames with her and to me, he has always come off as one of those inferior little men who need to feel superior though another's weakness. It doesn't make things better that this "friend" is one of the most dependent women I have ever met, she -needs- someone to take care of her, she -needs- a man in her life, she -needs- attention.

When I asked her if he was officially assessed and diagnosed by a credible and professional clinician, she said no but he diagnosed himself with his mommy's help (His mother does not work in mental health or anything of the sort). It annoys me to no end that she has so readily accepted this blanket excuse from him and uses it against not only my advice but the advice of her other "friends" that he's no good.

While I do believe that Aspergers is a real mental disorder, I believe that mental disorders have been blown out of propertion in this era. It doesn't help when people (professionals and non) are so quick to come to a diagnosis without proper testing or assessment, don't even get me started on how frustrated I am about the whole 'medicate first, assess later' bullshit. I do apologize for my long rant, however, it's a subject that really irritates me because I will be working in that field come graduation.

"I'm the scourge that your Gods sent to punish your people. Scary, huh?"
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: 2009 February 15, 02:29:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You just say that cause you tested high on the internet test for it.   Cheesy Typical avoidance behaviour - deny its existence and maybe you don't have it.  Tongue
Actually, I didn't. Also, I'm too old to have it. The disease wasn't even invented until recently. It's just not possible to retroactively acquire such things. No, I am simply your garden-variety sociopath. In any case, more evidence for its utter nonexistence as a real disease is the fact that it didn't even EXIST until recently, yet suddenly, everyone has it. It is fundamentally impossible that such a condition simply appeared in totally unrelated people out of thin air. TRUE genetic conditions originate from a single mutation and spread from there. As this "Assburgers" thing has just suddenly appeared on half the people on the Internets, it is clearly a made-up disease. There is no Assburgers, you are just an ass.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: 2009 February 15, 02:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And you suffer from extreme congenital Pescadoism, the members of said group which should be put into a large, cement cage underground and fed with powerful slingshots used from long distances so you are unable to come in physical contact due to an irresistible urge to rend other organic beings into ground chuck for whatever happens to be sitting in the food pot at that given moment of time. What does this mean? That you're a rotten asshole that doesn't want to admit that there are things that you can't dismiss with a simple explanation and you feel obliged to deny that anything can or could be wrong that doesn't fit YOUR view of things.

Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3207 on: 2009 February 15, 02:53:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought Asperger's was first described in 1944.  That is not that recent. 

And in my opinion, everyone has something wrong with them in some form.  Some things are worse than others, but I have yet to meet anyone who didn't have some kind of mental thing or issue.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: 2009 February 15, 02:56:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought Asperger's was first described in 1944.  That is not that recent.
Is to me. I'm old! I'm old and I have a long beard!

And you suffer from extreme congenital Pescadoism, the members of said group which should be put into a large, cement cage underground and fed with powerful slingshots used from long distances so you are unable to come in physical contact due to an irresistible urge to rend other organic beings into ground chuck for whatever happens to be sitting in the food pot at that given moment of time.
We already DO live underground.

What does this mean? That you're a rotten asshole that doesn't want to admit that there are things that you can't dismiss with a simple explanation and you feel obliged to deny that anything can or could be wrong that doesn't fit YOUR view of things.
Untrue. My view is always right. And I found a perfectly good simple explanation: That Assburgers is made up and DOES NOT EXIST. It is simply a form of Internets disease.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: 2009 February 15, 03:05:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now all we have to do is get the damn sling shots, don't cha think?

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 276 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: