PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 03:57:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Save the Sims Community Forum
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Save the Sims Community Forum  (Read 74967 times)
silver
ARR!

View Profile
Save the Sims Community Forum
« Reply #225 on: 2007 August 29, 14:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are some other amusing differences between British and American slang. I'm not sure about Australian slang.

I once went to school with a British student who asked for a "rubber" and got the strangest looks from her classmates. Here, a rubber is a condom. The poor thing just wanted to borrow an eraser.

Then there are "fags". Here, they do not mean cigarettes, and if you ask for a fag, you may not get what you intended. A British acquaintance of one of my son's friends nearly had an unfortunate experience when he asked a group of guys for a "fag".

"Lemonade" there is "7-Up" or "Sprite" or a related drink there. Here, "lemonade" means a drink made of lemons, water and sugar. Usually. We do have alcoholic lemonades, though. I remember seeing "lemonade" on a menu when I visited England, ordering one, and giving the waiter a very strange expression when he brought me a 7-Up. I thought he was trying to be a wise guy.

I found out the hard way ... A "bathroom" in England is a room with a bathtub. If you really, really have to pee, do NOT ask for a bathroom.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: 2007 August 29, 14:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "ry"
fanny (means bum) fanny (means vagina) - hence the giggling when we hear Americans talk about "fanny packs".

Holy hell, there went my coffee.

That's so freaking funny. Fanny Packs are stupid, imo, anyway, so to hear that makes it all the more fun to tease those who wear them now..lol.

The only people I ever see wearing them now are American tourists (you can tell the French, Swedish etc. since they wear backpacks).  Oh, and just in case you're wondering what we call "fanny packs" - bum bags.

And silver - we derive our slang a lot more from Britain - we use rubber, fag, lemonade and bathroom in the same context.  It was really weird to ask for a bathroom in LA - here we use (in order of how well you know the person, and how comfortable you are) toilet (polite) or loo and toot (colloquial).  It's not unknown for a man to ask for the shithouse.  Australians like the swearing.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2007 August 29, 18:14:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks a lot, guys, I just choked on my fucking pretzel! I knew most of the slang for Aussie, we had an Aussie student two years out of the three that I attended Sr. High, and she was wonderful for my education! I'd explain American usage to her, she'd explain Aussie to me and the one thing we agreed on was for smokes, we both called them coffin nails but that didn't deter us from smoking the damn things under the water tower!
As for the Marathon bar, I remember that one being kind of a flat braid shape (or plait) of caramel covered with chocolate. I remember putting a piece of one in my mouth and letting the chocolate melt off and just enjoying it... I miss those things...
One thing I really want to try some day is a deep fried Mars bar, it sounds good... I've been advised to stay away from Toad in the Hole and Bubble and Squeak, though...

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: 2007 August 29, 20:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"

And silver - we derive our slang a lot more from Britain - we use rubber, fag, lemonade and bathroom in the same context.  It was really weird to ask for a bathroom in LA - here we use (in order of how well you know the person, and how comfortable you are) toilet (polite) or loo and toot (colloquial).  It's not unknown for a man to ask for the shithouse.  Australians like the swearing.  Cheesy

There was some publicity about the whole loo issue (what about dunny Cala?) in the press in UK when William and Kate broke up. It was reported that she wasn't posh enough because she said toilet instead of loo.  :roll:  There was then far too much column space and air time devoted to the curious habits of the upper class. Apparently the rules change fairly often and only the blue bloods are in the know.

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Join my imaginary cult. The consequences of refusal are worse than you imagine.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: 2007 August 29, 23:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Captain Feathersword"
There was some publicity about the whole loo issue (what about dunny Cala?)

I knew there was one I forgot - but I often feel that way, so I just ignored it  :oops:

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2007 August 30, 01:07:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brit slang is fun, but Halloween is better, so nah.

Last Halloween, my entire family decided to have some fun. We transformed the front porch of our house into an enclosed mad-doctor's operating room. We bought scrubs from thrift stores, and I made myself a little nurses outfit and hat, and a bunch of surgical masks, and then covered everything in fake blood. My youngest brother sat with his head through a hole in the table, and in the dark with smoke machines and a black light, he totally looked fake. Then my mother's husband (who is 50, btw) totally overdid his performance as the mad doctor, screaming and cackling while we ushered kids through the door 'the doctor will see you now'. The fake head thing scared more than a few adults and teens, and he went easier on the little ones, but everyone had a great time. We must have had a couple hundred trick or treaters, we went through more than forty pounds of bulk candy.

I'm 26, and I'm never giving up Halloween. It's a family tradition.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Frank
ARR!

Happy Pelican!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 2007 August 30, 01:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here in the states, I loved the hijinks that the cast of "Roseanne" would pull every year, tallying up pratical jokes. Me and my family, eh........just did the T&T thing. The apt. complex me and my wife live in and have for the past 5 years has been a void around Halloween. Lots of decorations, no kiddies and families out gathering candy. But it's a dual-university town where we live, so it's fun to see the college kids go all the way around halloween...

Confuscious say man with dyslexia that drinks gets fitshaced.....
naceygirl
ARR!

Pirate Petrillo on the High Seas!

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2007 August 30, 03:28:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
Quote from: "ry"
Calalily, for Halloween, if you dress up, you should buy some smarties candies and safety pin them all over your britches, cus you're Miss SMARTY-PANTS! :lol:

But yeah, they'd have to come up with something that doesn't put a bunch of crap directly into the game, though, because that's a horrible thought.

No Halloween in Aussie land.  Cheesy

Tongue their smart downunder! Here in the good old USA I dont even celebrate Halloween.

We do have Halloween!  Here in Perth we do, anyway.  But it's different.  We have dress-up parties.  There isn't any trick-or-treating.  Cheesy

Awesims: My Sims 2 blog with stories, downloads and CC recommendations.
Witchboy
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: 2007 August 30, 04:38:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I loved the hijinks that the cast of "Roseanne" would pull every year, tallying up pratical jokes.

I Absolutely love Roseanne! I have them all on dvd up to season 8 + the Roseanne Halloween Edition dvd with all the Halloween episodes from every show.

*Empress Paden's Fanboy*
*ShanOw, now 100% more stoppable then me!*
*O Coconut, Coconut, wherefore art thou Coconut?*

Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2007 August 30, 07:06:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"
Brit slang is fun, but Halloween is better, so nah.

Last Halloween, my entire family decided to have some fun. We transformed the front porch of our house into an enclosed mad-doctor's operating room. We bought scrubs from thrift stores, and I made myself a little nurses outfit and hat, and a bunch of surgical masks, and then covered everything in fake blood. My youngest brother sat with his head through a hole in the table, and in the dark with smoke machines and a black light, he totally looked fake. Then my mother's husband (who is 50, btw) totally overdid his performance as the mad doctor, screaming and cackling while we ushered kids through the door 'the doctor will see you now'. The fake head thing scared more than a few adults and teens, and he went easier on the little ones, but everyone had a great time. We must have had a couple hundred trick or treaters, we went through more than forty pounds of bulk candy.

I'm 26, and I'm never giving up Halloween. It's a family tradition.

I hope you get us some pictures of your next Halloween show for us all to see.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2007 August 30, 18:35:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love Halloween. I don't go out trick or treating anymore, but I have younger siblings that do, so I get to steal their candy when they're not looking. But really, Halloween was more about the atmosphere to me, it is just wicked fun and I love it. Of course, the goodies help too.

Come visit Sammytopia
naceygirl
ARR!

Pirate Petrillo on the High Seas!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2007 August 30, 18:48:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to forget the slang 'Dunny' for toilet.   We use that a lot here (I'm in Perth).  That one is one of my favourites.  Smiley

We also call sweaters 'jumpers', drink english tea all through the day and call our cookies 'biscuits'.  If we do have 'cookies', they're usually large baked chocolate-chip things.

Awesims: My Sims 2 blog with stories, downloads and CC recommendations.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: 2007 August 30, 19:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "naceygirl"
If we do have 'cookies', they're usually large baked chocolate-chip things.

Which is exactly what a cookie should be.  :wink:

Still watching you guys
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2007 August 30, 21:40:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back to the topic at hand. I hope they're better at keeping their supporters interest peaked. They lost ours several pages back. Guess that means they didn't accomplish what they set out to do. It has turned into a much more interesting conversation, since then. But, what can we expect from such winning personalities as Thomas, Greg, Suzy, and LyricLee. Each, their own worse enemies.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
BlackPearl
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: 2007 September 06, 19:23:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Someone informed me that GoS (Garden of Shadows) forum was shut down by the Save Sims2 Community for filesharing.  Do y'all know anything about this?

I'm an asshole in real life too, so now what?

Visit Pirate friendly Sim~Antics
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: