PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 00:06:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free site threating to go pay...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free site threating to go pay...  (Read 27845 times)
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Free site threating to go pay...
« Reply #45 on: 2008 May 04, 09:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I agree with Paden, Cala, GlassCigarette and others that the whole 'give me money or I'll go pay' thing is a stupid and insulting threat - for several reasons. So I basically see nothing wrong with bashing the threatening itself. The site and the content, however, should remain off-limits until the threat is carried out, though.

I know some of you smell a scam here. My impression is more of a rather young person who is also completely 'misguided' about the whole paysite thing. As long as the web is rampant with Sims paysites, a some people are always going to think it is ok to have a few so-called donation sets on their site.

Mind you, I could be completely wrong, though.

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 May 04, 10:17:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Moune, I didn't even look through her content. But, like it's been stated,  if you follow her front page carefully you'll find a major theme - Donate or I go pay. Within the course of a couple of months she uses begging, badgering and not so subtle forms of manipulation, all in an attempt to coax money out of visitors to the site. Plus, these comments really raised a red flag for me. -

Hello all... We're starting off this week with our first donation ever! Someone was kind
enough to share their hard earned cash with us and we thank you JFox for all your kindness!
and in celebration... I'm releasing one of the outfits that would have had to of been
donation to thank her.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Which I guess would make it donation not pay... So she got it for everyone ^_^. We need 20 dollars a month... Untill we reach our goal... Everytime we hit our monthly goal I'll be able to put out stuff I'd have to save... Which will make me really really happy! Cheesy So se can keep all our creations free. Smiley

It's very possible that this is a paysite in all but name. They're just using different tactics to extract money.  -  Undecided

edit for clarity
« Last Edit: 2008 May 04, 11:35:56 by SnarkyShark » Logged
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2008 May 04, 13:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Snarky - Hmm, I hadn't seen that (must admit I didn't take the time for a detailed look around). It does sound like the owner might already be mentally in paysite land, but again that might be more out of misguidedness than of greed. Maybe it's one of those borderline cases. I mean, it's not the first time we've seen a free site do some very heavy handed begging for donations.   Roll Eyes

For all intents and purposes, though, there is no CC being held hostage against money and nothing from this site to be put in the booty, so I think I would still consider it a free site and therefore off-limits to content and layout bashing (which you weren't doing, anyway).

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 May 04, 13:59:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, all throughout this forum there are offers, suggestions, etc. for those sites who financially struggle and want to stay open because they love creating and sharing with the community.  I think, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that we have proven time and time again that we as a forum will step up and help a site.  However, if the reasons for going pay are less than altruistic, then no matter what we say or do, going pay will be what happens.

Someone should invite the owner here to see how or if she would like help.  I know that between Sublime & WNF, there are many sites that are part of their groups.  (This may have been suggested, however, I have computer issues and my time is limited to read, etc. - pardon if there is a redundancy in my post)

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 May 04, 14:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The site owner has allready been contacted by someone I know and were offered help and suggestions, but they are refusing to do anything substantial about anything, really. All they want is money, not a better solution like cheaper hosting, etc. Plus they said they allready contacted EA and were told they would not be shut down if they became a paysite.

Inactive
idtaminger
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 2008 May 04, 16:09:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's with the political correctness around here? Lack of natural demand for a site's content usually = shite content. A trashy site is still a trashy site, and we should allow it to fade away like nature intended.

In fact, helping them stay open I think dilutes the potency of the  whole free site argument, which is that sites can offer high quality content without going pay. Some of the arguments bandied about on the side of paysites is that they offer the best quality content, even though that's certainly not true. Roll Eyes Having a diluge of trashy free stuff floating around doesn't exactly help the cause.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: 2008 May 04, 16:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's with the political correctness around here? Lack of natural demand for a site's content usually = shite content. A trashy site is still a trashy site, and we should allow it to fade away like nature intended.

And it will, without any help from us.

In fact, helping them stay open I think dilutes the potency of the  whole free site argument, which is that sites can offer high quality content without going pay. Some of the arguments bandied about on the side of paysites is that they offer the best quality content, even though that's certainly not true. Roll Eyes Having a diluge of trashy free stuff floating around doesn't exactly help the cause.

Here's the thing: the marketplace DOES adjust - crappy freesites either get better, have a small following that makes it worthwhile, or fades away, without any specific help. But remember: FREESITES are the product of someone sharing their HOBBY. To quote from the FAQ, "just like you don't tell your Aunt Helen how awful the sweater she knitted you is, we don't talk smack about free creations."

If she goes pay, we have cause. Again, from the FAQ (which I dont' mind quoting here since I wrote this bit): "What's the difference? Money hadn't changed hands. When you pay for something, you have an expctation of quality. When someone gives you something, you have no expectations. We may not personally like every free item, but we admire anyone who creates and is happy to give the product of their hobby to fellow fans."

We ALL know there are many EXCELLENT FREE SITES out there - they're the household names on our lips, like All About Style, Sims2Play, All4Sims, Simcastic, Parsimonious, MTS2, etc. etc. etc. This thread is intended to get this child to NOT go pay, to realize that her stuff isn't WORTH money (as though we thought any sites were), and MAKE SURE we know the second she decides to be stupid.

It's not about being PC, it's about being realistic and TRUE to our MISSION. She's not a paysite yet. We are not in the business of destroying her.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2008 May 04, 18:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Idtaminger. I think the point is that sites remain free. No matter if there stuff isn't up to your (general) standards.

ETA: Hec you said it better. Tongue

idtaminger
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2008 May 04, 20:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To quote from the FAQ, "just like you don't tell your Aunt Helen how awful the sweater she knitted you is, we don't talk smack about free creations."

I wouldn't tell Aunt Helen how awful the sweater was in so many words, but I'd definitely drop a hint. Like a polite reminder never, ever to give me any sweaters again.  Wink

It's not about being PC, it's about being realistic and TRUE to our MISSION. She's not a paysite yet. We are not in the business of destroying her.

I never said she needed to be destroyed. But I don't think all this hoopla over the threats of a less-than average creator is warranted.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2008 May 04, 21:33:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The site owner has allready been contacted by someone I know and were offered help and suggestions, but they are refusing to do anything substantial about anything, really. All they want is money, not a better solution like cheaper hosting, etc. Plus they said they allready contacted EA and were told they would not be shut down if they became a paysite.

The reason why I think so many of us were focused on the quality of the site(ie the mass of broken stuff) was that it was giving some of us the irks and a feeling that they weren't genuine about staying free.. However I think you guys are right, if we stop giving them too much attentiion they'll find their natural level anyway.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2008 May 05, 06:11:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Snarky on this one, I don't think this is much more than an attempt to get "easy money". What really raised warning bells for me is that they claim to need $20 a month for expenses. This is a non-dynamic site that doesn't get much traffic (I'd assume). My site isn't huge, but I host it and GoS for less than half of that. Either these people have a host that is seriously gouging them, or they are trying to get a little extra money from the site.

I'm not terribly impressed, either. I'm not trying to bash "free creators", but I just don't get the impression that this is a serious free site. The beards posted earlier in this thread were the exact same beard in three different "sets". They don't bother to credit anyone, anywhere for their work. Nearly every page has pay items plastered all over it (which is strange, considering that they claim to be anti-pirate, while simultaneously claiming to be poor. I don't doubt that there is raiding of the booty going on, but why the hypocrisy?). I'm also not keen about their tactics to get money. I've had to ask for donations to help me out in the past, but it never even occurred to me to threaten to go pay or to say I'd release donation items when someone ponied up some cash.  In short, I guess I agree with Paden as well. I'm definitely not biting, they can go back to mts2.

ETA: Oh, I just realized that they host a forum as well. It has a total of 49 users, so that must be what they need the $20 a month for.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2008 May 05, 06:18:30 by liegenschonheit » Logged

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
BlueIzumi
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2008 May 09, 19:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys you finally noticed me.... It's been a while.... I see you've all decided to take my MTS message out of context.... I actually used to have it say Pirates are people who steal from hard working people blah blah blah..... THEN! (but of course noone caught this... )" I would like to thank Robin hood and his band of merry men for all the free Down loads"..... AS FOR! Complaining about credits being on the site.... You must read the read me files.... To see what is used in the content on the pictures.... The credit links have been up since the begining of the site and have no been changed.... If you're looking for credit from someone like Nouk or other creators please check the read me.... All credits should be appropreately listed there.... I'm sorry if you guys are all made from the confusion.... Oh and one more thing.... The last note is not about you guys it's a personal note about my old site creator please see her site here.......... http://www.sims2-for-simscorner.com/ Saying the good people of the world are lost to a selfish world because she actually stole free content from our site and put it on hers..... I figured sooner you guys would feel the need to hate on me.... So have fun.... But I'm not coming after you or anyone else a I'm very busy and I'm writing this when I have a free moment because I figured someone who be all over anything they could find....x_x' I will readd the last part of my MTS signature up if I can fit it.... But I was so mad about the stolen DL's I did not care and I'm sure you guys can understand that because I noticed you spend alot of time being mad about alot of stuff..... And I recieved help for my wording about donations from someone I will call unnamed for their protection unless they are a member here and wish to tell their name.... So now I've explained myself I hope you understand or what not... If you don't that's your choice but thanx for coming by and see us I guess..... Have fun Smiley
!@_o!

Thank you Saraswati for all your wounderful information and help. Smiley
Thank you for you help very much Smiley
!@_o!
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2008 May 09, 19:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Hey Blue, thank you for coming to explain yourself. We'd moved on from the topic but anyone here will happily give you any help you want with the wording.

BlueIzumi
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 May 09, 20:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much Saraswati Smiley I think I have received help from someone on your page.... Who is helping me with my wording.... I'm not quite sure how I should word asking for help but I hope they will continue to help me.... We did have trouble with our communications in the beggining but now we seem to be getting along and if you of anyone else has any suggestions about my wording about donations, for that I would really appricaite it. ^_^ Thank you again. Smiley
!@_~!

Thank you Saraswati for all your wounderful information and help. Smiley
Thank you for you help very much Smiley
!@_o!
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2008 May 09, 20:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blue, I'm shooting you a PM about something..

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: