PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 22:14:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free  (Read 33887 times)
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Numenor's Opinion of pay vs free
« Reply #90 on: 2007 August 25, 19:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Five? Mine takes at least half a goddamned hour to load, and that's down from the 45 it used to take before I deleted some shit.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007 August 25, 20:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel your pain. Mine use to take that long too. Now it's like 7 minutes. I play my game in windows mode, so I can be online while playing. Sometimes I forget that my game is in play mode, and my sims' motives go down or die. Or when sound is turned up I can hear then complaining in the background.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: 2007 August 25, 20:06:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"
Five? Mine takes at least half a goddamned hour to load, and that's down from the 45 it used to take before I deleted some shit.

It used to be that long, but then I deleted my entire downloads folder and started over.  Now there's not as much cc in the game.  and if there's anything in the game that I am not using, or even remotely dislike, it's instantly deleted.  It was taking so long at one point that I thought the game was no longer responding.

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007 August 25, 20:09:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "amazone"
Thats ok Lorelei Smiley What i meant was to show some feedback to the
free creators who run free sites, and free creators at MTS2 or other phorums, like Insim too. I did never expect, or wanted people worshipping each other here, heck, we're pirates, lol.

Hawkgirl:
Does really recolors slow the game down? I thought retextures would
do the same thing, or all downloads, it depends how much one have in that map. ?

I don't know so much if it's all the recolors. I also pay very close attention to the poly count on new items I add. A lot of sites say 3000 vertices/faces per tile is max. I won't go over 2. If it's over 2000 it has to leave my game and I try to stay away from it even being close to 2. I don't care how much I like it, plus to (Sir Pes) I keep my game at 2 gigs of CC and no more than 500 megs of homes. So let me have my 3 minutes, I am a grandmother for pete's sake. I have to have something to entertain me. pfft. I can only torture my grandbabies for so long, although they think I am a human toy, before I need a new source of entertainment. lol

I collect a lot of houses. I could easily go 30 gigs with homes and not miss my CC, other than hair. As long as I keep it at that magic point 2 gigs/500 megs for homes I noticed it still loads quickly. Once I exceed it, my game seems to run like a slug. Highest I ever had at one time was almost 4 gigs of CC and 2 gigs of homes, plus I had over 2,000 character files. I had over 200 Sims and it took about 5/6 minutes to load. So I moved everything, reset my neighborhoods and now I am keeping it at the above numbers. I only keep one recolor for things downloaded from the net, and 1 for any Maxis mesh I have, all others go. I actually have a system for CC. 3 clicks or next pages are allowed of CC no more, anything more I delete till it's right at 3. It's a great system. lol I am anal about my subfolders too. I have a separate category for everything. That way if I get bored with say Kitchen furniture and want to change it, I just go in and move everything in Kitchen. Same for bathroom, Livingroom, windows, doors, hair, clothing, etc...

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 August 25, 20:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use like Hawk Girl subfolders for most stuff. Well currently I have almost 8GBs, and 2GB RAM, 3.6 processor it takes about 10-15 mins to load. I really have not timed it but its not a long wait. What i like to do is try stuff. Every once in a while I start with fresh hoods, and take out all DLs then, when I put DLS back in take some out. When the new eP is here I start strictly with all maxis, slowly rebuilding my DLS, adding new stuff to try. (Hope that made sense) I got 2 drives on here of 200GB each plus a DVD writer so Im not space limited.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
arina
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 August 25, 20:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

10 minutes? Aaah! Mine takes somewhere between one and one-and-a-half minutes (not timed it, either Tongue) and I think that's way too long. I have 2206 downloads, 217mb, and I spend at least a minute or two every day working on lowering that. It's so nice to dress someone, make them over, decorate a house and not have to scroll through a million pages of crap (well, apart from some Maxis stuff of lesser quality XD). I don't understand how anyone could even be using twice of what I have unless they have themed neighbourhoods or many extra races or something. I don't use all of what I have, which is why I'm still getting through it. It's like all clean-outs - it's a bit painful at first, but it feels so good after that you're glad you did! XD

I read somewhere that too much subfoldering slows down loadup speeds, so I only have one extra 'level' inside my downloads folder. It's by creator if I have at least a dozen or so files by them, and then I have a 'buildandbuy' and 'cas' folder for the rest. Default replacements live in the main folder, and there's three folder for hacks, UK spelling adjustments and my face replacements Smiley
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007 August 25, 20:55:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
I use like Hawk Girl subfolders for most stuff. Well currently I have almost 8GBs, and 2GB RAM, 3.6 processor it takes about 10-15 mins to load. I really have not timed it but its not a long wait. What i like to do is try stuff. Every once in a while I start with fresh hoods, and take out all DLs then, when I put DLS back in take some out. When the new eP is here I start strictly with all maxis, slowly rebuilding my DLS, adding new stuff to try. (Hope that made sense) I got 2 drives on here of 200GB each plus a DVD writer so Im not space limited.

I have almost the same as you, except I have 8 gigs of ram, a 300 gig HD, 120 gig media drive, plus a 200 gig external hd. I don't have a lot on my main HD either just a few games and all my graphic programs. Something I realized, and I don't know why. Is that I don't have a lot of bedroom stuff, my bedroom stuff is in with bathroom stuff. I think I have downloaded one bed and that's one that uses a dustruffle, because that's what I use here on my beds. I'm pretty content with what Maxis gave us for bedroom furniture. Even for the children because I have FFS. Other than toddler, infant furniture. I do have a lot of it. I think Kathy and Katy-Hope are the only creators I have a separate folder for in my downloads. I love all Katy's little mods, and Hopes grow up sets on SMB. Kathy I think I've just about downloaded everything she's made so it has to have it's own folder.

ETA: Here's how my subfolders are divided, I have 8 files in my main download folder. Bodyshop replacement, lighting, Scriptorium is 4 files, CEP and Insim.

Bathroom
Build
Clothing-Adult
Clothing-ChildT
Clothing-Teen
Doors
Hair
Kathy
Katy-Hope
Kitchen
Living
Make-up
Misc-Objects
Mods1
MyJunk
Paintings
Plants
Skins-Eyes
Vehicles
WallPapers-Floors
Windows

Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 August 25, 21:44:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My file names to many to list but I do have a Kathy folder, her and Erics stuff are together except for Insim, I keep that loose with character files and skintones, and CEP in the DL folder.

My file names are like by site or artist, function, build, somes set like Tuscan Kitchen.
I find that easier to work with. Like I always have YGGDRASIL, or Holy Simoly, etc, those are one of the first to go in the new DL when the new EP is here.

What speeds uploading too is collection files> I always use those.

But cleaning out DLS helps. GOSH, if you saw how much I downloaded, but a small percentage of what I get is used. sometimes its more like having it in case I want to use it.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007 August 25, 21:57:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
My file names to many to list but I do have a Kathy folder, her and Erics stuff are together except for Insim, I keep that loose with character files and skintones, and CEP in the DL folder.

My file names are like by site or artist, function, build, somes set like Tuscan Kitchen.
I find that easier to work with. Like I always have YGGDRASIL, or Holy Simoly, etc, those are one of the first to go in the new DL when the new EP is here.

What speeds uploading too is collection files> I always use those.

But cleaning out DLS helps. GOSH, if you saw how much I downloaded, but a small percentage of what I get is used. sometimes its more like having it in case I want to use it.

I have Eric's stuff in with Kathy's stuff also. I never realized making collection files would speed up uploading time. I'll have to make some for the things I don't have collection files for, thank you for the tip Smiley

Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007 August 25, 22:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes it will help. Too if you have a crowded catalog, sometimes stuff will only show there.

One tip on those back up your collection file before adding a new EP, you will loose your collection file if you dont. What I like is if I remove the file from DLs if I keep the collection file there, then I will have it if I put the file back in.

missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 2007 August 25, 23:39:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Silvercoin"
And welcome back.

Aww, thanks!  I did wonder a little if people had even noticed I had been gone.

Short version of happenings:  Week break from PMBD.  Two computers borked to the point of paper weights.  Move to another city.  Cut from internet for weeks.  Tears.  Forced to go back to ancient OS.  More Tears.  Internet.  Back to PMBD.  Rejoice!

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2007 August 25, 23:47:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually it was noticeable:
http://phorum.mustnotbenamed.com/viewtopic.php?p=49217#49217
After no one replied, I thought maybe you just got fed up and left.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2007 August 26, 00:37:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Not-Apsalar"
Well actually,Pescado, the recolors don't really effect the loading time that much. Unless you're timing your loading time. Maybe not even then. All the other stuff do though. But maybe you're just anal about your loading time. Heh.  :roll:  *likes to live dangerously*

Yes, but my gameplay involves constantly doing the error/quit/fix/restart loop. If it took 5 minutes just to reload after changing a line of code, it'd be intolerable.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2007 August 26, 00:57:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welcome back, Miss Angelica.  Sorry you had all the craziness, but glad that you are able to be here once again.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Ash Redfern
Infamous Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2007 August 26, 01:06:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "HawkGirl"
Here's how my subfolders are divided, I have 8 files in my main download folder.

Ah, if only I were so ambitious with my downloads folder. I'm almost inspired to go through my folder and organize it better...well almost. Wink

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: