PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 16:49:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!  (Read 120088 times)
Tempest Limmerfer
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
« Reply #45 on: 2008 June 13, 02:31:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Un-freakin'-real.
I was chatting up a PC games seller the other day and he was saying that Sims 2 packs sales are really down. He said "everyone" was mad because 'there is nothing to really add on to the 2 version" and that "everyone is waiting for the Sims 3 to come out because there will be so much stuff to add on to it.

Like programs that bork the computer and payfiles and crap? I explained it to him and he was saying, "Oh no, the Sims 3 will be so cool."

People have no clues.

www.limmerfer.com
proudly hosting designs by : Nii

EA Games: Welcome to Pixel Hell, Bitches! (Snarky)
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 June 13, 02:33:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

guys, there's always the option of walking away and refusing to pay them a cent..
Or starting up the next MTS for the community. I doubt they'll write the Sims3 EULA in such a way that sharing your own creations for no charge is against it.

I agree. Because the minute they try to get everything going through them, the game is going nowhere and noone is going to have the slightest interest in it.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Ink
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 June 13, 04:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

guys, there's always the option of walking away and refusing to pay them a cent..
Or starting up the next MTS for the community. I doubt they'll write the Sims3 EULA in such a way that sharing your own creations for no charge is against it.

True. But if they were greedy enough to do that it would be interesting to see how far the pay creators get without programs like SimPE, UniMesh plugins etc. I doubt those creators would continue to develop these programs if they will only benefit profit making.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 June 13, 04:39:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If that was true Inge/Peter/Quaxi wouldn't have developed SimPE this time round.. And the people who've acheived various innovations on MTS2 wouldn't have done it in case a pay site used it.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 June 13, 05:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If that was true Inge/Peter/Quaxi wouldn't have developed SimPE this time round.. And the people who've acheived various innovations on MTS2 wouldn't have done it in case a pay site used it.

That's right! Why would someone create/mod something if they know that the EA paysite is eyeballing their site to steal ideas from? And they will be the ones that can LEGALLY THIEVE ideas from fans, turning around and saying that the bare bones of the program is EA-owned, so there can't be a copyright issue.

I just keep wondering, if the corporate site is the only one in competition, are they going to use fans to just join this site and create? use fans for their talent and monetary gain? Are they going to be THAT SCUMMY?

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 2008 June 13, 05:32:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it really surprise you if they were? I'm sorry to say that nothing these fucks do any more surprises me. I get angry as hell, indignant as all get out, and sickened at times by their paranoia and greed, but not surprised. *walks off singing softly, Los paranoias, won't you come and join us..." (Thank you, Beatles Anthology)

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
WedgewoodBlue
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2008 June 13, 15:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no low that is too low for EA. Nothing they do surprises me anymore, yes I am that fed up with them. I haven't purchased anything from them since BV, and I won't purchase anything else from them either. Since some very kind pirates taught me how to ARR, that is how I am able to continue to keep my game up to date.
I am definitely not buying Sims3. There is nothing about it that even remotely interests me, and with SecuRom, it became a non issue for me.
I have every one of my Sims1 game discs, and have all the discs fro Sims2 up to and including Kitchen and Bath. I find it makes me ill that EA has so little regard for their fan base that this is how they are going to proceed in the future.
I still and always will, firmly believe that TSR and EA fuck buddies.

At long last TSR gets to be the bug on the windshield of life.
Azaya
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2008 June 14, 03:22:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually haven't paid a cent for the Sims 2 or any EP or stuff packs, and I have them all. Thank you, torrents. I wouldn't pay anything for individual CC for EA, either, though I do like the idea of being able to pick and choose what I want. If it happens I suppose I'll just look for torrents of the downloads.

The idea that EA have sunk so low as to think they can cash in on the paysite system makes me furious, though. And more determined not to pay for a single product they produce.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2008 June 14, 03:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's look at this from another perspective: Since they don't listen to their consumers, the consumers have struck back and have decided to not purchase the games and have opted to Arr them. This has made EA desperate for a decent profit margin and have now gone pay content crazy.

Why? Because they don't listen to their customers. If they did, they would be supported. Having said that, I am sure people will still Arr the game, but maybe they would be more open to the idea of paying for CC. It's all relative you see, and they can't go on making arbitary decisions without listening to their customers and producing DECENT GAMES. <--without spagetti code, bugs and SUCKROM. The more you screw people over, the more they screw with you.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
silver
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2008 June 14, 04:20:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's look at this from another perspective: Since they don't listen to their consumers, the consumers have struck back and have decided to not purchase the games and have opted to Arr them. This has made EA desperate for a decent profit margin and have now gone pay content crazy.

Why? Because they don't listen to their customers. If they did, they would be supported. Having said that, I am sure people will still Arr the game, but maybe they would be more open to the idea of paying for CC. It's all relative you see, and they can't go on making arbitary decisions without listening to their customers and producing DECENT GAMES. <--without spagetti code, bugs and SUCKROM. The more you screw people over, the more they screw with you.

Yes, that makes sense. Perhaps more people are boycotting BV and beyond than many of us can even imagine, and this is the way that the bigwigs at EA figure out to save one of their prospective prized cash cows: charge for content. Why, it can't mean that they should get rid of Suckurom. It MUST mean that people are willing to pay per download. Yeah. That's it. (Back slapping all around.)

And people are getting PAID to make assinine decisions like these while in other parts of the world, people who actually have brains and can make real improvements to the game and its sales are laid off from their companies and left to rot. It boggles the imagination.

Using a Steam-like alternative and regulating paysites? Nah. That can't work. Too much effort, and EA surely can't admit that Suckurom was a mistake. That might open them up to more problems. No, the customers must be delusional. Have no fear, EA knows what is good for us.

I also believe that MTS2 and Insim were deliberately left out. I guess that giving any recognition to people who were behind such innovations as the Insimenator and CEP is unthinkable.

I missed the survey, but my answer would have been that the point is moot. Any speck of curiousity I had concerning Sims 3 is now gone. Like others here, I can only hope that they let Sims 2 wander off into a peaceful corner of the world without tampering with it. In the meantime, I guess that if there is any custom Sims 2 content that I haven't downloaded yet because I'm trying to watch my Downloads size, I should burn them on a disk and save them in case I want them in the future. Who knows what EA is going to do?

idtaminger
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2008 June 14, 05:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't forsee a Sims 4 in the future, that's for sure. What with SUCKurom and this, at this rate the franchise will be running itself into the toilet by the time the Sims 3 dawdles to a close.

Slowly but surely, EA is chipping away at the quality, integrity, and fanbase of the Sims games. I stopped buying Sims games as soon as BV came bundled with SUCKurom. It's kinda sad b/c I've been with the games from the moment the Sims 1 came out. I was still a kid back then, so I've grown up with the game. It's always sad to see stuff from your childhood fade into oblivion. I'll always have the memories. RIP the Sims...  Cry
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: 2008 June 14, 15:40:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok... so if this does go through and they do sell their own content... why couldn't it be added to the booty? (other than legal reasons) Wouldn't it be the same idea as having their exclusive items for download?

Mainly because this would therefore be a torrent site.  At this point in time, EA says non-commercial in their EULA - for using Bodyshop and the game etc.  They make it clear that it should not be for selling purposes, had ample opportunity to change it, and haven't.

If they start selling things it's basically what they are doing now.  We don't give free downloads of Glamour Life Stuff in the booty because EA has a right to sell it - TSR doesn't have a right to use EA's tools and sell their craptacular dresses for $4.95 a month - that's what the EULA gives us.  AFAIK there isn't any pre-order in the booty either - that may be linked to here, but it isn't in the booty.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2008 June 14, 15:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We don't give free downloads of Glamour Life Stuff in the booty because EA has a right to sell it

Which is why most people wouldn't pay for anything they choose to charge for, this would lead more to torrents IMO.  Cheesy I'm sure any stuff they tried to sell would end up on a torrent site right away.  Wink

Brilliant and I couldn't agree more.  Kiss

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
minionsRmine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 June 14, 18:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA likes to ride both sides of the fence. When they see that a paysiter can benefit them, they scoot over a little on that side and backstab the rest of us. When they want to appear like they're listening to their customers, they lean back away from the paysiters to make it look like they support us too. Honestly, I think that EA wants to embrace both sides so that they can keep the free advertising. If they turn their backs on TSR and Peggy, they'll be losing a fanbase. If they turn their backs on the freesiters, they'll be losing a fanbase. I think a lot of people have, in the last year or two especially, turned away from paysites. People have been burned by TSR's uncouth dealings with individuals, Peggy's appearance of greediness, the sharing back and forth of their members' personal info, and basically the lack of quality from several other paysites. What EA doesn't realize is that by embracing more free sites, they would INCREASE their profit because, hey, the economy isn't all that great right now.... But that's beside the point...

EA's seeing dollar signs for whatever reason, and I'm not holding too much hope that things will get better. My opinion of EA just gets worse and worse. I have a suspicion that EA and TSR have been budy-buddy behind the scenes for a long time and will continue that trend. The only way I can see EA take a hurt is if all free sites simply closed with no explanation.

Children suck on lollipops
The IRS likes to suck your money
Paysites just... suck.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2008 June 14, 19:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: minionsRmine
I have a suspicion that EA and TSR have been budy-buddy behind the scenes for a long time and will continue that trend.

I worried about that very same thing up until I saw Thomass' *music* video not too long ago. After watching him smack a few muses for no apparent reason, I just can't imagine anyone taking him all that seriously. Now, I'm thinking that EA might very well see him as a vain puff-muffin that can be easily manipulated. They'll probably continue to do so until the relationship is no longer advantageous for them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: