PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 14:28:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Retail Sims
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Retail Sims  (Read 101680 times)
siggylove
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #90 on: 2006 November 05, 15:54:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I said earlier that I have had depression, my partner is also a longtime sufferer of depression.  I wouldn't say that it was a condition where you wanted to kill yourself rather, you just don't want to live or have no interest in life.  It's a far cry from actually contemplating jumping off the biggest bloody building you can find.

Nouk is right in that, your brain becomes warped and sometimes getting out of bed or combing your hair becomes a real problem, you fret over stupid things, feel guilty about anything and everything and nothing interests you, not even money lol!

I tried anti-depressants for several months and I felt worse, I quit the meds and I changed my diet and just thought "fuck this" and pulled myself out of it.  I didn't like the person I was becoming.

The problem as I see it is, some sufferers, even when they feel better, cling to this "Oh I'm so depressed" statement because this is a state of mind they have become used to.  When you don't want to face up to something it's too easy to say "I'm depressed" and use it as an excuse for all sorts of behaviours.

Pes is right, alow yourself to be unhappy now and again, that's real life, real happiness is fleeting.  I think we are all so bombarded with shite on the television, films, books & magazines telling us we should all be living our lives a certain way and look how happy you could be if only you had this hair product, drank this soda etc, had this lawn mower etc.,  We've all lost touch with what's important no wonder there are so many people with depression.  Another aspect is (in America at least) there are many shrinks who want your money, and will prey on your unhappiness to get it, don't give 'em your money!

Whenever I feel unhappy I think of what Denis Leary once said;

Patient: "Doctor, I'm sooo unhaaapppy....."
Doctor: "Shut the fuck up you whiney maggot

Works for me!

'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotamy
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #91 on: 2006 November 05, 16:19:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Easy for you to say. ANd how nice that worked for you.

Sometimes things are so depressing and needed change just doesn't happen. Without the improvement in circumstances the depression goes on. After x amount of time depression is all one has had. Many many people do get so depressed that the thought of death is the only thing that brings peace, be it a high window, a bottle of pills, a fast moving car or a well placed bullet--doesn't really matter to them.

So you can take that 'get over it' attitude and....get over it. :evil:
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #92 on: 2006 November 05, 16:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That works, too. Life is overrated anyway. And remember:

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #93 on: 2006 November 05, 16:35:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yeah, there's that option too. Messy so I never consider it.... :shock:
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #94 on: 2006 November 05, 16:39:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oy.....
siggylove
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #95 on: 2006 November 05, 17:00:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "sickpuppy"
Easy for you to say. ANd how nice that worked for you.

Sometimes things are so depressing and needed change just doesn't happen. Without the improvement in circumstances the depression goes on. After x amount of time depression is all one has had. Many many people do get so depressed that the thought of death is the only thing that brings peace, be it a high window, a bottle of pills, a fast moving car or a well placed bullet--doesn't really matter to them.

So you can take that 'get over it' attitude and....get over it. :evil:

Heh we're all different and we all have different coping mechanisims.  I know a lot of depressives and being one myself earns me the right to think whatever I like about the subject.

Yes, I managed to pull myself out of it, but that was after a year of suffering, it is a living hell but I came through the other end after trying various different drugs and realizing that they weren't working for me.  So I managed to change my diet, and my thinking patterns and that did work for me.

My partner has Dysthymia, he has had it since he was a child but even he admits to sometimes using his depression as a blanket because that's all he's ever known, when he doesn't feel comfortable with a situation for instance, he'll say "I'm depressed today" as an excuse to go and hole up with the quilt pulled over his head.  He admits that, that's one of the reasons I love him, he's incredibly honest with himself and others.

Oh, and thanks for jumping down my throat but please tell me where I said "get over it", I would never say anything as insensitive as that - when I was depressed, my friends & family told me to "snap out of it" all the time, as if I could.  Given that, I'm hardly likely to say that to anyone else when I damned well know better.

If you are referring to the Denis Leary quote - not my words, just something that makes me laugh at myself.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #96 on: 2006 November 05, 17:21:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I never took medicine or went to a real pschiatrist... what I did was talk to my normal doctor regularly. She might not be a psychiatrist, but at least then you don't have the feeling that someone is trying to mess with your mind.

I slowly got better, with help from mainly this doc and my boyrfiend, because I was afraid to tell anyone else I was depressed (as if they didn't notice lol, acting like a nut).

A misconception many people make, is that when someone says or thinks they don't care for being alive, they want to kill themselves. But that's not  usually what they want at all, they want a solution to become happy again, not to become, well, dead and rotting XD

It's just that, when you are depressed, your life doesn't fulfill you anymore, and it becomes phlat and uninterresting or painfull.  Things you normally really like, don't give the same joy as before.

It is an ilness. However people are very easy to say: I'm depressed, when they are not really sick.

BTW, this has so little to with Retailsims quitting :shock: sorry :oops:

Inactive
siggylove
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #97 on: 2006 November 05, 17:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nouk, that is what I was trying to say - it's not that all depressed people want to kill themselves, they just want an end to the situation.  Well put.

Glad you posted that and yup this thread has been thoroughly derailed - I'm off to scrub the decks.

Dea
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #98 on: 2006 November 05, 18:08:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have alot of Retail Sims stuff in my game.  I took it out when I installed ZOMG!Pets, didnt miss it.  I put most of my stuff back in and I still dont use it.  I think Ill take everything out now. Her stuff is ok but its not good enough for her to start all that drama.  Sounds like another Donna to me anyway, and I delete her stuff when I find it.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #99 on: 2006 November 05, 18:14:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: siggylove
Heh we're all different and we all have different coping mechanisims.

Yes, exactly.

And did you say "get over it': well that's what I read you said. But, no you didn't use those words.

Me: I'm not taking some drug that has a list of side effects just cause some clown Dr. thinks I should. I went to school with those clowns.... I'll feel better when the picture changes, when there is a reason to feel better, happy, like Pescado says.

Am I the only one that remembers that old song "In the Year 25 25 if man is still alive, if woman can survive they may find...blah blah blah...everything you think do and say is in the pill you took today."
ElmoLovesCyclops
Landlubber

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #100 on: 2006 November 06, 03:03:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "surelyfunke"
Elmolovecyclops, I did not post that to mock or make light of people who have mental illnesses. I was trying show that here we have another example of someone using their illnesses and/or personal issues *as an excuse* to charge for their content. It is also worth pointing out that there are people out there who have physical and psychological disabilities who also do not charge for their content. I do not see how having a crappy life (which many of us here can empathize with) justifies "needing" to charge for content. As a community of Sims fans we do not owe our fellow community members money for indulging in their hobby.

I didn't mean for it to sound as if i thought you were mocking people with mental illnesses so my apologies if i did.

I was just thinking that what their trying to convey (although some of them went over the top) is that a mental illness can be really physically demanding. Charging for content (whether people agree or not) is actually a really great option for someone with a mental illness as they can work their mind without having to have a lot of physical strenuation. It's kind of a hard concept to explain if you haven't experienced a mental illness (a real one) which is why i asked how many of you have experienced it.

I'm also sure you're all going to argue the point and say that there are other things they could do that aren't physically demanding and so on but why not do something you enjoy? Oh because this one is illegal. Which is still a point being discussed and trying to be put down as fact.

Quote from: "Pescado"
Quote from: "Flonne"
Up until a couple of months ago, I'd have been in the "Sane Like Pescado" club. But then I failed a university course I'd paid over £1000 for, my grandma was diagnosed with cancer, and I was diagnosed with depression. Before that I'd had a pretty skeptical attitude towards depression/anxiety disorders, and I always wondered why people didn't just "snap out of it".

Are you sure you're DEPRESSED, as opposed to simply UNHAPPY? It seems to me you have plenty to be just plain ORDINARY unhappy about. People aren't always supposed to be happy, you know, despite what people tell you. The problem with all these diagnoses is that they can pin anything on you. I personally fit the profiles of tons of mental illnesses, but there's one key difference: I'M NOT SUFFERING FROM INSANITY. I *LIKE* BEING THIS WAY! I don't want to be a zombie!

Pescado you're pretty damn right with that one. Flonne it does sound like you are or were just unhappy. If someone does have a mental illness it goes for years, you don't just have a pill and have it go away and it takes a damn lot of hard work to get rid of it. It's also very physically incapacitating (sp?). I think a lot of doctors probably falsely diagnose depression just so they can give the people a small dosage of meds and have them 'think' they're all better when really they've just gotten over it. Most likely to cover their arses in case the person decides to go kill themselves or something and the doctor had turned them away saying they weren't mental.  

As for everyone being normal, i really don't think there is a normal. Everyone is just...different. But there are people with mental illnesses and as for Pescado fitting into many mental illness profiles, be careful where you get your information from. Also Pescado like you said you're just a jerk, you're not mental. There's a big difference. No offence intended =)

Just to clear things up a bit.

Clinical Depression: a depression so severe as to be considered abnormal, either because of no obvious environmental causes, or because the reaction to unfortunate life circumstances is more intense or prolonged than would generally be expected.

It has something to do with a chemical inbalance in the brain and medication is meant to balance that out and help people be more realistic about situations. For instance some people with depression will go nuts over accidently dropping something and medication is meant to help them act usually about that situation. But a pill still won't fix everything.

Now...back to the matter at hand. RetailSims went overboard with announcing to the whole sims world that she was depressed and so on. However what she is doing with her site is perfectly reasonable. I've read somewhere that she's going to make the content, upload pics but not upload the files. Which honestly, if i was a paysite owner i'd do too.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #101 on: 2006 November 06, 03:21:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "ElmoLovesCyclops"

Now...back to the matter at hand. RetailSims went overboard with announcing to the whole sims world that she was depressed and so on. However what she is doing with her site is perfectly reasonable. I've read somewhere that she's going to make the content, upload pics but not upload the files. Which honestly, if i was a paysite owner i'd do too.

That doesn't sound at all ridiculous to you?  Making content and sharing pics so people can then beg her for them, only for her to say, "Sorry, I found out a site is sharing my content so until they take it down, I'm holding my shit hostage."

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  If she wants to make content, fine.  If she wants to accept donations, also fine.  I'm sure she'll get some.  Good creators do (not that I even know if she's any good, I don't have any of her stuff in my game - well, I did download it all for future sharing if she stays gone) get donations.  But because someone is sharing one thing she has on her site, she's taking her toys and going home (sorry twojeffs, I love this saying too much).  What a baby, and it doesn't mean this site will stop sharing her stuff.  In fact, I daresay it means that Pescado will put up all her free stuff too under a special "Unavailable" section.

She's not benefitting anyone but Pescado.  One down, how many now to go?
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #102 on: 2006 November 06, 03:31:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If her intent to post these pictures is to say "Sucks for you, you won't get it. Smiley", it's quite lame. But if she really wants to do it, I'm fine with it -- it's her choice. I won't eat babies for that.

I do know that some people create only for themselves and can't share their stuff because they need permission for retexture and all that crap... but that's a different story.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #103 on: 2006 November 06, 03:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
Quote from: "ElmoLovesCyclops"

That doesn't sound at all ridiculous to you?  Making content and sharing pics so people can then beg her for them, only for her to say, "Sorry, I found out a site is sharing my content so until they take it down, I'm holding my shit hostage."

Exactly, doing things that way is not productive to anyone, least of all herself, it's just a ploy for attention and begging for the stuff, to stroke her slightly dented ego. Think of it in some kind of weird business sense (I's been playing OFB today, ohyes Cheesy), it's like, if she had a cake, a lovely, lovely cake, that she'd made, and then she sold the cake to someone, and that someone gave some of that cake to their friends (and they also said 'Oh, dude, this nice cake was made by retailsims, not me). Then SHE said 'Hey, that was my cake!! I'm never making any more cake for anyone!!', then went home, made another cake, with chocolate frosting, brought it out, waved it under all HER friend's noses and said 'MYNE!! This cake is not yours and you can have none, cos the other people shared my last cake with their friends!!'

....now I'm hungry.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
Retail Sims
« Reply #104 on: 2006 November 06, 03:34:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Absolute"
Quote from: "jesserocket"
her childhood wasn't a bed of roses,

Not everyone's childhood is a bed or roses.. But that isn't a excuse to try and get pity from people. Or to justify charging for items. What's the point about making whiny after whiny post on a forum? People can not fix your issues or fix you. I think she's a attention seeker.

Yeah, I'm unclear on the whole "my childhood was hard so that explains why it's OK for me to be a greedy, whiny attention-seeker" connection.

I just got a shiny new computer, installed Oblivion, and proceeded on a crazy sugar-fueled mod download spree. One of the mods changes the levels and items throughout the entire game, as well as adding some quests. Other mods replace nearly all the textures. For free. Why, oh why, would they do such a thing? These mods take weeks and months and sometimes years of work. Why, everyone making these mods for free for any computer game must be rich, happy, and healthy!

As someone who dabbles in making real mods, I think the idea of charging for them is utterly disgusting. When it comes down to it, you're trying to soak your own community. Gag.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: