PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 19:18:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Eating some humble pie
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Eating some humble pie  (Read 17716 times)
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #45 on: 2007 May 05, 09:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, no one ever likes file dependency hunting. It's the thing that has always plagued Linux, too.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #46 on: 2007 May 05, 10:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking good Sherrie!

Here's another MTS2 creator who allows her meshes to be redistributed with credit (note that the main page TOS apply to her actual clothes being redistributed with sims, not meshes). The Mesh TOS can be found here

Main profile page:

http://forums.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=120894

I've used her stuff before, she makes nice alpha bottoms. Smiley

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #47 on: 2007 May 05, 12:13:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People who even bother to make a TOS are taking this too seriously. What the hell are you gonna do to people who ignore it? Sue them? Call them doodyheads?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #48 on: 2007 May 05, 12:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ohh doodyheads...teh horror! Though I have seen the lawsuit threat...and more than once.

I guess TOS are part of their attempts to stop people from stealing their stuff. It *has* worked in some cases, when tons of people ganged up on the offender until they gave in to the pressure and removed whatever they were supposed to be stealing. Like in the Enayla/Chriko case. It has a bigger impact on the masses' minds if they see "you cannot redistribute, reuse, blah blah" as opposed to an ambiguous blank space. In my opinion, it goes without saying that when someone makes something, you don't just copy it and claim it as your own. But yeah...if someone is more stubborn than you, there's little you can do except whine, or, better, ignore it and move on. Chances are someone else will recognize it and give the person a hard time (like the one who PMed me about something I made uploaded to the exchange ending with OMGz how awfull I'm sorry!111oneoneone. I thanked them, had a look, saw that my name was still there somewhere and left it at that, because frankly, the exchange is one thing I won't be bothered with. Too much stuff, too little moderation =too big a headache to be worthwhile) I wouldn't particularly like someone claiming something of mine as their own but, honestly, I wouldn't exactly loose sleep over it either.
For me, TOS are just good ways of letting people know what you do allow: meshes included, textures reworked or not, stuff included with sims and so on. When I get to the "you need my permission to recolor or upload ANYWHERE, bow down and kiss my ring" part, I know that's one creator whose meshes I won't be using.

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
Electricstatic
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #49 on: 2007 May 05, 15:36:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not, but HP changed her TOS to allow meshes to be redistributed:

I've changed my them to allow creators to include my meshes with their recolours (plus my new readme). Partly this was, well, because I wanted to change my profile pic (Pariah looks so cute upside down, doesn't she?) and partially because... I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

I still want a link and credit as I think that's perfectly fair and takes only a few keystrokes - no real effort... And I've kept track of the amount of time I take on meshes vs. textures recently and I've realized I spend about 3/4 of the time on anything doing textures, and only about a quarter of it on the mesh. And I already allow people to redistribute my recolours. So it makes logical sense - why protect something more that takes less effort and time?

I've also added a thing in there about mesh edits - a lot of people have been asking for teen versions of my Fanseefem meshes but I just don't play teens and I have a lot of things I'd prefer to do first. So... if someone wants to edit my meshes and they're not a total noob, sure. Ask me first (as I may already be working on an edit myself, so you don't have to). Let me help you if you need it, let me test it, do it right, and it's all good.

http://www.modthesims2.com/creator/journal.php?do=showentry&e=1333

(I cut some of it out for length.)
BlackPearl
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #50 on: 2007 May 06, 00:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awe, Liegen, I hate to see you back down.  You can always say, I'm sorry...BUT  (and continue on with what your were doing).  ROFL

I'm an asshole in real life too, so now what?

Visit Pirate friendly Sim~Antics
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #51 on: 2007 May 06, 00:13:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me who haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days? *worry*

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
fourohfourerror
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #52 on: 2007 May 06, 00:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me who haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days? *worry*

This site?  I had a hell of a time yesterday getting to here and MATY, but today has been fine.

ealth is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #53 on: 2007 May 06, 00:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could be talking about Liegen's site.  I haven't been able to get to it for a while either, but I doubt it's anything terribly serious.
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #54 on: 2007 May 06, 01:05:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea did mean liegen's site, sorry ^^ Was all set to raid it and then it was down *pout* But I'll take Ensign's word for it not being anything serious Wink

But 404, incidentally we've had a helluva time loading maty and pmbd today... Figured Pescado was just fiddling "on his airplane in flight" or whatever the picture he painted was  :lol:

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
Electricstatic
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #55 on: 2007 May 06, 01:31:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a hard time loading Nouk's site earlier, and she's hosted by Pescado now. But oh well it's working now. Cheesy

I can't load Liegen's site though. Good thing I have my Sims 2 games uninstalled, because I would totally raid her hair recolors right about now.
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #56 on: 2007 May 07, 07:00:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was down. My best friend got married earlier tonight, so this is the first time I've been home and online long enough to check my email in about a week. I realized that I forgot to pay up with my hosting company for the month (I don't care for auto pay for various reasons), and have since corrected the problem. They have their money, site should be back up shortly.

Sorry!

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #57 on: 2007 May 07, 10:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"
It was down. My best friend got married earlier tonight, so this is the first time I've been home and online long enough to check my email in about a week. I realized that I forgot to pay up with my hosting company for the month (I don't care for auto pay for various reasons), and have since corrected the problem. They have their money, site should be back up shortly.

Sorry!

Don't be sorry on my account, I was merely worried that something untoward had happened on your site. We hear about it all the time. I need a few lessons in impulse control when it comes to downloading anyhoo.

Was it a nice wedding? <3

liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #58 on: 2007 May 07, 18:03:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was a beautiful wedding in the garden of a huge victorian house in the town we grew up in. Everything was perfect, other than a bunch of minor things that went wrong behind the scenes, but I suspect that's normal. It was totally exhausting though, I've never taken part as one of the main event coordinator type people in a wedding and it's a LOT of work!

On a side note, the site and forum are back up now.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
sherrie
ARR!

ALL DONE, kthxbai

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #59 on: 2007 May 07, 18:11:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks electric and ghanima, I've now added them to the list.

http://sherriesim.com/creatorschoice.html

CENSORSHIP: When one site is very much like another..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: