PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 02:18:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Anyone seen this yet?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Anyone seen this yet?  (Read 39128 times)
discordkitty
Landlubber

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #75 on: 2006 November 23, 09:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As a staff member I can say with 100% certainty that I have never heard any mention of such an act - not that it was done, not about what was said in PM's, not about actions being taken against users due to stuff said in PM's - nothing at all. If it is happening, there's only one person doing it and no one else is involved, period. I've sent PM's myself that would be very frowned upon but nothing has ever happened to me.

People who know me can attest I'm the first person to speak up when something seems wrong, I don't try to bury shit or sweep it under the rug. If it was going on, I wouldn't approve of it and I would be very vocal about it.

So like I said, if it is going on (which I do not for a moment believe - present me with factual evidence and not "oh but it said it was there and it wasn't" stuff that anyone could say, true or not - and I might change my tune) it's one person, no one else knows (because if anyone did, they would say something and it would get around - believe me) and it's not being shared. I have to agree that noone would have any interest in reading BlackKat's PM's anyway. No one on staff bothers to mention her.

And as for how people know, the majority of the posters/registered users here are using fake names - no one can be sure who is behind any of the unknown names and they might very well know for a fact.
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #76 on: 2006 November 23, 12:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope I didn't offend you, DiscordKitty. I was just saying that saying something (anything, really) is "totally untrue" merely because it hasn't happened to you is rather silly.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #77 on: 2006 November 23, 15:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh it most certainly DID and probably does happen. Does it happen all the time to everyone? Don't be stupid, of course not.

It is possible I guess that the other person lied to me about the message, but I doubt it, since I expected my PMs to be being moniroted and never reaching their destination which I why I asked abut the PM to begin with!

Don't be calling me a liar. This DID happen. It does happen. Others have complained of their privacy being invaded too. ANd hell no I'm not going to tell you who, what, when, where just to 'prove it' to you. I'm not stupid. I like having access to MTS2 and it does have good things there. I don't want to be banned over something I've said on another site (oh that never happens either right? :roll:

And it is possible that 'just one person was deleting PMs' like maybe LL, our beloved, departed LL...... :roll: I like you Discord, for an MTS2 moderator you are one of the good ones. You seem to say what you think and suffer no consequences for it. But as I hear it: Just wait. It'll happen to you to. Give 'em time.

EOD here as I don't want to get 'canned' here for some silly thing I've done that JM doesn't like ME doing altho I've done nothing that others haven't done.
discordkitty
Landlubber

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #78 on: 2006 November 23, 23:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Denimjo"
I hope I didn't offend you, DiscordKitty. I was just saying that saying something (anything, really) is "totally untrue" merely because it hasn't happened to you is rather silly.

Not at all, I don't want to get in fights or argue or anything over here.

(don't want to quote your whole post sickpuppy and make this longer, this is mostly in response to what you said but hopefully helps some other people who may or may not have been worried)

I'm not going to "punish" anyone for anything they say here or anywhere else. That's retarded and pointless - no one has to say who they "really" are but those who use the same usernames have nothing to worry about. I can assure you that no one currently on staff is going to punish people for what they say on other sites either. I'm sure some of you who WERE banned for saying shit here have noticed that your bans have been lifted for a while - it was silly in the first place.

On mts2 and s2c I have to uphold the rules and I respect that - but just because someone who posts there, posts over here and is open about filesharing doesn't mean I would ever do anything to them on either site. So don't think of me as a spy, I am actually enjoying the honesty and the open posts - it's a breath of fresh air. People who ban people due to stuff on other sites (and I know there's a LOT of them out there) are pathetic and they can't really keep people away anyway. Anyone with a lick of sense can use a proxy and re-register.

I highly doubt you'll get banned here for posting your mind or in this discussion, I don't think Pescado cares. But I understand if you don't want to post anything further - I just wanted to make it understood that I'm not here on a witch hunt but to better understand and maybe help other people better understand my intentions etc.
Immortal
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #79 on: 2006 November 23, 23:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "discordkitty"
As a staff member I can say with 100% certainty that I have never heard any mention of such an act - not that it was done, not about what was said in PM's, not about actions being taken against users due to stuff said in PM's - nothing at all. If it is happening, there's only one person doing it and no one else is involved, period. I've sent PM's myself that would be very frowned upon but nothing has ever happened to me.

People who know me can attest I'm the first person to speak up when something seems wrong, I don't try to bury shit or sweep it under the rug. If it was going on, I wouldn't approve of it and I would be very vocal about it.

So like I said, if it is going on (which I do not for a moment believe - present me with factual evidence and not "oh but it said it was there and it wasn't" stuff that anyone could say, true or not - and I might change my tune) it's one person, no one else knows (because if anyone did, they would say something and it would get around - believe me) and it's not being shared. I have to agree that noone would have any interest in reading BlackKat's PM's anyway. No one on staff bothers to mention her.

And as for how people know, the majority of the posters/registered users here are using fake names - no one can be sure who is behind any of the unknown names and they might very well know for a fact.

As for your first comment:  I had the same experience as a staff member...I heard people talk about it and I would have the same response...I knew it was *possible* to read PMs on a VB forum how ever if anyone had made any accusations of it (Which neear the end of my time on staff, some of my friends *did* make accusations of vanishing PMs and   privacy in their PMs being invaded)...I would and did say that although I knew it was possible I'd never heard anything of it...Members PMs were not discussed in staff areas, and no staff member ever admitted to having read any PM-at least in my presence.

Then, a few months after I left the site for good I got myself a new e-mail address.  I occasionally checked my mail at my old address and on two separate occasions I received e-mail notifications of PMs at MTS2...the first time I signed in and saw that there was no new PM, and one of the old PMs I thought was still there was gone (However I'd not signed in for a while so I cannot be certain of this) the second time there was no new PM just like the last time.  I've now signed out for good...and it has been months since my last e-mail notification-but my account has been inactive for some time so I am not at all suprised.

And as for you DiscordKitty...I have friends who are still active at S2C and from what I hear you're a good moderator.  Shame I never got to know you Smiley

ne by one they died.
A massacre that took all night
They had no chance, it was no fight
You can't kill what has been killed before...
discordkitty
Landlubber

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #80 on: 2006 November 24, 00:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*shrug* Honestly I didn't know it was possible until I read this thread - though I have no real reason to have asked if it was or want to read peoples PM's. I'm not nosy, I have no interest in what people PM each other and I have enough to deal with that I have absolutely no desire to see what's going on privately and involve myself in other peoples internet drama. I have my doubts it's going on currently, but people are going to think what they want regardless.
Immortal
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #81 on: 2006 November 24, 01:26:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You would not have access to read PMs, Discord Smiley

There are a couple ways to do it...You can pull up a PM off the database, so only thoes with database access can do it this way.  It is also possible to alter and delete them, though I have never done this.

Also, on VB (The software that both my site and MTS2 and S2C uses, there is a plug in available that makes PMs easily readable in the admin CP to anyone who has an admin account.  I know we like to think that we have our privacy, but privacy on the net really doesn't exist.

My feelings on the matter?  I don't believe it is an admins or moderators privilege to read through members private messages at will. although I understand why the capability can be useful because there have been times when, as a staff member, users have come to me with a complaint about PM harassment.  At this time I do think it is justified to look at the offending message or messages to help decide what action should be taken.

ne by one they died.
A massacre that took all night
They had no chance, it was no fight
You can't kill what has been killed before...
discordkitty
Landlubber

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #82 on: 2006 November 24, 01:47:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never said I would have access - I think it's plain as day that it would be an admin-only feature. I said I'd never had cause to ask if it was possible and I'd have no interest if I could.

We require any harassment complaints to be made with a forward of the PM in question.
yippee
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #83 on: 2006 November 24, 05:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my PMs at modthesims2 are pretty much,

hey your dl has a neck gap?
hey dude, care to make a recolor of that car eh?
pretty much nothing after that.  seeing what modders say when they upload something:

DO NOT RECOLOR, UPLOAD, RETEXTURE blah blah blah

made my balls shrink a couple of centimeters and i wouldn't have been none the wiser talking to them.  btw, discord i heard you're a pretty sizzling lady.  have you heard of avocado shake or ice cream? i know a place Wink

f you still like watching cartoons and think the world is a nice warm place, FUCK YOU.  fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #84 on: 2006 November 24, 06:29:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm an admin at a very active vB and it's pretty easy to piddle around in people's PM's.  I had to do it once due to a child molestation issue on the board, and even the ones the user had deleted were right there for the reading.  Which is why I don't send anything peek-worthy over the PM system at MTS2 or S2C.

I'm just going to assume one or two admins there have taken it upon themselves IN THE NAME OF JUSTICE, and I appreciate that there's staff there who would cry "NOT OKAY!" if they heard about it.

lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #85 on: 2006 November 24, 06:41:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the bad old days, I ran a bbs. A "dial up" bbs. Waaaay back. Admins have some power. The owner can read anything he wants to and can flag anything coming from particular users to be forwarded to him. "Absolute Power" is not a misnomer here. If it can get you in trouble, do not send it by pm.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #86 on: 2006 November 24, 17:33:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The newest from our "family friendly" S2C board. Am I crazy, or is this utterly creepy?

What kind of 30 something guy sets up a "yearbook" and asks only for "real photos"?

http://forums.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=28839

and here:

http://www.sims2community.com/yearbook/

Tons of kids pics and varying ammounts of personal information. :shock:

edited: not no double negatives
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #87 on: 2006 November 24, 17:37:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I admit, I posted mine up Tongue I'm not particularly paranoid about a headshot and my real first name being posted really...I doubt anyone's gonna come to my front door waving a chainsaw afterwards  :lol:

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #88 on: 2006 November 24, 17:53:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

useful tip: do NOT click anything on the yearbook home page if not sure of what you are doing.

I clicked "Edit listing" just to see WTF does it means, and it instantly creates a yearbook entry of myself, importing the data on MTS2 Cheesy .

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Anyone seen this yet?
« Reply #89 on: 2006 November 24, 19:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ghanima Atreides"
I admit, I posted mine up Tongue I'm not particularly paranoid about a headshot and my real first name being posted really...I doubt anyone's gonna come to my front door waving a chainsaw afterwards  :lol:

Yeah, I'm similarly unconcerned about such things...Cheesy

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: