PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 01:36:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Eating some humble pie
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Eating some humble pie  (Read 17737 times)
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #30 on: 2007 May 02, 20:55:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think part of the problem is there is always an idiot who thinks sharing their mesh = stealing (even if credit is given where credit is due).

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
HideTheRum
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #31 on: 2007 May 02, 21:23:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Arr, Liegen! What you did is awesome Cheesy  I approve you whole heartedly, you just proved that sometimes to take a step back is all but a sign of weakness, on the contrary what you did is a clear sign of you being way braver, smarter, kinder and more sincere than many. Though I'm no creator I feel like personally thanking you, really, because in my opinion your spirit shows and strenghtens the very best part of this community.

*pulls Lieg into a rough pirate hug"

It was the least I could do. I always do the least I can do.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #32 on: 2007 May 02, 21:37:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Arrrrrrr.

:::joins the hug::::

Liegen, you did what you thought was right...so good on ya. What sucks is not that you made peace over a stupid issue but that free creators MADE this an issue at all.

If I made meshes, I'd let you do whatever you wanted to with them.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #33 on: 2007 May 02, 23:32:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aaaaaannnnnyyyyything?

:shock:

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #34 on: 2007 May 02, 23:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aaaaaannnnnyyyyything.

But you'd have to tell me about it afterwards. Wink

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #35 on: 2007 May 03, 01:09:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

are pictures ok?  I dont think it will be able to talk afterwards...

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Ren
Landlubber

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #36 on: 2007 May 03, 15:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To play devil's advocate.. I've always assumed three reasons why a creator would ask for their meshes to not be distributed.  The first is so that downloaders will see their TOS.  The second is so that if they update/fix a mesh, the old one won't piss in the water.  And the third reason is to be able to offer support and get feedback easily.  I think this is especially the case with MTS2, where much testing and mesh revisioning goes on.

My old reasons for requesting my content not be distributed on community sites that sourcelink to themselves was in order to maintain a modicum of control over updates/fixes to textures, among other reasons.

At some point though I decided it wasn't worth the flack I got for it, and it isn't my responsibility to make sure everyone out there gets updated textures.  My game has the updated textures.. my site has the updated textures... I really shouldn't concern further.  Meshes are different though, linking to the source could mean you'll get a mesh that doesn't 'splode your game if you (don't) have a particular EP.

So anyway.. while I agree with the masses on mesh hunting, and how much it sucks... I think there are still some very valid reasons why a creator would want to localize downloading to their turf.  Especially if there are glitches, it isn't animated, or seems otherwise unfinished... those beg for updates.

Yeah I'm a babbler...

Dan, a Clan, a Canal - Canada!
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #37 on: 2007 May 03, 18:09:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you Ren of sim-cribbing? I think the fact that you are so generous with your textures means you are better recognized than you would be if you didn't allow it.

Simply providing a link would solve the upgraded mesh problem, most people would click the link and find the updates anyway. The most vocal opponents of including meshes have changed their policies anyway (Marvine, HP, etc.) so I suspect that's how things will go more and more now.
Ginseng
Landlubber

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #38 on: 2007 May 03, 18:49:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Ren above is from Rensim, which is a very very awesome site.

I support including meshes, but not to the extent of stepping on toes uneccessarily, as you put it. To be honest, it's the mesh creator's loss if it's not included since less people will bother looking for it. I think a link back should be compulsory in all cases, whether mesh is included or not, but that's already the case most of the time.

Liegenschonheit, I think it was a good idea but most creators aren't quite ready for it. I think it's really brave of you to show that making happy for all is more important to you than creating more drama in the community. Brava! Cheesy
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #39 on: 2007 May 03, 21:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rensim is also an excellent site. I love the eyes especially. They've also recently updated their policies. It used to be you couldn't include their content in uploaded sims to places like MTS2 or Insiminator but now you can.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #40 on: 2007 May 03, 21:07:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I join the group hug: I would only repeat what others said much better.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #41 on: 2007 May 03, 22:53:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ren"
The first is so that downloaders will see their TOS.  The second is so that if they update/fix a mesh, the old one won't piss in the water.  And the third reason is to be able to offer support and get feedback easily.

I don't know about other people, but when a mesh is included with something and a credit to a site, I don't just grab the mesh and texture and run.  I like to download nice things--when I see something that on first glance I think is of fair quality that's being redistributed by someone else, I'll take a look at the site it's from to see if there's anything else worth downloading from there.

I don't see a problem with redistribution with credit given to the creator and a link to their site--if people just want to grab the mesh and texture and run, and are happy with what they got, regardless of the fact that there may be an updated version on the site it originates from, then fine; it's one fewer site they have to visit.
sherrie
ARR!

ALL DONE, kthxbai

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #42 on: 2007 May 05, 02:38:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heres a rough draft of the list. Please let me know what you think. I still have to make a banner for the top and add buttons to the sites that are missing them. I also have to sort out an award scheme for the 100% free sites on the list. The page is leaning to the left, but shouldn't do when It's added to my framed site.

http://sherriesim.com/creatorschoice.html

CENSORSHIP: When one site is very much like another..
fourohfourerror
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #43 on: 2007 May 05, 04:11:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the list is awesome.  Even though I'm not a creator, I saw some links to places I've never heard of, so I'll definitely be checking them out.  Good job, Sherrie! Smiley

Back to the whole include/don't include, if I download an item with a mesh included from another creator, and I've never heard of the creator or the site, I will ALWAYS check it out.  It's really not that of a deal to have to go to another site just to get the mesh if it's not included, but when they say, oh it's a Peggy mesh, in clothing, and then you have to go hunt it down, I won't.  If they tell me exactly what page it's on, and what it's called, I usually will.  Basically what everyone else said. Cheesy

ealth is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #44 on: 2007 May 05, 05:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, like I said before when you decided to include all the meshes, I think that's a really good idea.

In fact, if I have to go hunt down a mesh for anything that's not a hair recolor (and that's generally because I can't keep track of what hairs I had and deleted for want of good textures), not only do I NOT download it, I try to make a mental note and avoid that mesher in the future, period.  You don't want me to have easy access to your stuff, I'll make it easy on you and make sure I don't have any of it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: