PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 18:30:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us  (Read 44027 times)
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
« Reply #45 on: 2006 November 13, 08:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Surprisingly longer than I thought it would.   :?

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 November 13, 08:46:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's getting almost like there are some adults using that site...  :shock:

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Pariland
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 November 13, 08:56:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know.  HP's last post reads like a "taking her toys and going home" declaration to me.  

I see where the paysites are angry at losing money (here's where I shed a tear and pour malt liquor out on a curb for my fallen homies), but when your meshes are free anyway, what's the big deal?  It just makes it look like the dissenting voice in the thread was right about creators becoming glory hogs.

And really, what is the praise from people worth these days.  Supposedly, people praised Carla Niven's work.  See my point?
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 November 13, 09:19:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah yes, the last post had not been added last time I looked.  That's a bit disappointing.

Lauren
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 November 13, 10:59:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what this community has done with its heart and soul and respect for what it's given. I'll keep the work I pour myself into for myself and my friends. I suspect a lot of mesh creators may begin doing the same. Yeah, isn't this Body Shop thing a -great- thing for the community?

Oh boo fricken hoo. This community lost its heart and soul a LONG time ago, the day that paysites became accepted. I remember when I could go to a site and not have to see if it was pay. I could download nice stuff for free. Like EVERY OTHER GAME OUT THERE.

On another note, I HATE when mods reply to people and then close the damn thread. Its so fucking immature.
« Reply #50 on: 2006 November 13, 11:38:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" bullshit was made up by a plagarist, but the rest of what that SimMaster said is true - put something out in public, period, it WILL be redistributed in some form or another. You can't control who will talk about it, what they'll say about it, or who they'll give it to. It's called free publicity.

Mature artists and authors - usually the ones making a living at it - have very little problem with some kid printing off something of theirs to show to a friend, because if it gets that friend interested they'll start buying that author or artist's work and start telling other people about it. More people interested = more people buying.

The sims 2 creators are very immature in this regard. They're so afraid of losing control of what people do and what people think that they make it really difficult for new people to find out about their work or want to give a damn about it because of their restrictive, convoluted sharing policies. They're trying to protect against that tiny, tiny percentage of the downloading population who will never follow policies or pay for things, and in the process treat all of the rest of the downloading population like thieves and make themselves look like whiny little kids who won't share their toys.

I'd also like to beat the lot of them with a comparative religions book for so frequently and egrariously misusing the word 'karma'. It does not fucking mean 'bad things happen to people who don't do exactly as you say'!
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 November 13, 12:57:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just read the thread. Ugh, what nonsense. "omg thread insulting!!!1" Please, she just closed it because no one gave as much of a damn as her whiny ass.
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 November 13, 13:52:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do understand that the new type of packages make their redistribution's policies completly useless. However, I think it's a shame if it stops them from sharing their creations to other people.

It's not like everybody is not going to credit. I, for sure, am always going to credit when it is due -- even if I think it is overrated. It's common courtesy, but hey -- not everyone does it. People who kept crediting will keep doing it, those who didn't still won't.

If EA decides not to do anything about it, creators will just have to live with it.

And hey -- music bands had to face the horror that is Internet. They're still alive.
Jonesi
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: 2006 November 13, 13:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thread has been reopened by Delphy and nec told not to post again, lol

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 November 13, 14:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nec, I'm fine with it that you have that kind of opinion, but I do not agree at all.

I don't go after people for some 'thanks' but as to proper credit, I highly prefer it! I'd like for people to notice who made certain stuff, so that they can go an look for more or leave an appreciation. I don't see that as wanting honour or worship or more of that bull, I see that as normal  :shock:  I was actually raised to say 'bobby, lucy, or jenny made it' if someone gives me something for free, and I give it to someone else. And at least say 'hey thanks!' to bobby lucy or jenny!
If someone does not credit my work I get very evil. But I'm not searching for mys stuff all over the darn web so I've hardly ever encountered that.
So, if people do not want to say thanks, then tough, I have better things to do than whine about that. But it's still nice, especially when you work hard for something.

What DOES bug me a bit, and what HP was actually talking about, is that Maxis uploads shit without any credit, or allows it. Since this happens on a massive scale, and people don't seem to give a shit who made it. I understand that for HP this is very painfull since she puts her heart and soul into her creations, and I think she deserves the right to offer her stuff anywhere she wants, plus for FRIGGIN FREE!!  If people are too lazy to credit and add a stupid link, is that HER fault? Geez.

I'll just decide to ignore the stupid Exchange and I could care less what happens with my meshes/skins/other stuff there. To me it does not excist,  and no support is given for stuff of mine that might be missing/screwed up/ugly/something else. Not my problem. If people want my stuff they can better go to my site or any other site I upload stuff to myself, because then you at least have a chance to get into contact with me and point me to something that might be wrong so I can fix it. Thanks are always appreciated, but not required. And if anyone wants to screw around with my stuff they'd better do it out of my view. Maxis copyright schmopyright! I'll still stick your head on a pointy pole! :twisted:

Inactive
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 November 13, 14:55:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh *that* nec.   There are too many people who shorten to "nec" in simming. Smiley

Payton
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 November 13, 16:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is the deal with all this credit business? What do you get out of it? Seriously, I would really like to know why so many creators demand credit and have such a cow when they don’t get it. Why share what you create if your main priority is to get credit? Is it a fame thing? Are you trying to make a name for yourself is that why? Arent there other more gratifying and meaningful ways to do this? Do you think EA is going to come hire you or something? Hell even the folks at EA dont get any credit for their meshes, do any of these creators that whine about credit ever credit EA?

I think the thing that really I find amusing is that so many creators put so much of their self worth into making game content. No, not amusing, downright sad really. Its pretty simple to add your information in Simpe is it not? I don’t seem to have any trouble putting my name on/in my packages if I choose to, but that’s not enough apparently. Really it seems what everyone wants to some sort of branding or something. I suppose I create things for different reasons than the rest of the creators, I am a minority it seems and that is fine. I don’t want credit or a big hoopla, I find that stressful, just take your toys and go play with them, if something breaks then fine, let me know, otherwise, go-enjoy, do whatever you want with it, I shared it with you and now its yours and I don’t care what you do with it, least of all hail my name. The whole thing is just incredibly pompous in my opinion, but hey whatever floats your boat I guess. I just cant get over the amount of whining associated with a game of all things. Its become a real killjoy.
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: 2006 November 13, 16:43:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in regards to HP locking the thread, I think it was quite obvious she never read nectres post until last night when she did that.

url=http://www.scumbox.co.uk/urapirate.swf]A pirate's life for me![/url]
exnemsims exnemsims
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 November 13, 17:27:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA should have implemented a proper way for each creator to have their name tagged against their creations in such a way it shows in the game and on the exchange as part of the whole download.  Most of us (apart from the money-grabbing ones) wouldn't mind at all our stuff being uploaded in that case.

There is stuff of mine on the exchange uploaded with people's lots that is actually attributed to *someone else* just because they uploaded it there first!

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 November 13, 17:35:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Payton"
What is the deal with all this credit business? What do you get out of it? Seriously, I would really like to know why so many creators demand credit and have such a cow when they don’t get it. Why share what you create if your main priority is to get credit? Is it a fame thing? Are you trying to make a name for yourself is that why? Arent there other more gratifying and meaningful ways to do this? Do you think EA is going to come hire you or something? Hell even the folks at EA dont get any credit for their meshes, do any of these creators that whine about credit ever credit EA?

It's a matter of respect and/or recognition, not of egotripping. If someone writes a song, paints a painting, designs a house, these people are not frowned upon if they want their names on it. Then why the heck do creators of digital content get all this shit? Especially for a game? If it's meaningful to a creator, then let it be. It's not like we're asking you to grovel in the dirt and lick our shoes clean. We are only asking to put down a username. You get all our stuff for free and you can upload anywhere, only a small token to the original artist is required. Why is that such a problem? And I couldn't care less about EA, I'm in nursing school! :lol:

Quote from: "Payton"
I think the thing that really I find amusing is that so many creators put so much of their self worth into making game content. No, not amusing, downright sad really. Its pretty simple to add your information in Simpe is it not? I don’t seem to have any trouble putting my name on/in my packages if I choose to, but that’s not enough apparently. Really it seems what everyone wants to some sort of branding or something. I suppose I create things for different reasons than the rest of the creators, I am a minority it seems and that is fine. I don’t want credit or a big hoopla, I find that stressful, just take your toys and go play with them, if something breaks then fine, let me know, otherwise, go-enjoy, do whatever you want with it, I shared it with you and now its yours and I don’t care what you do with it, least of all hail my name. The whole thing is just incredibly pompous in my opinion, but hey whatever floats your boat I guess. I just cant get over the amount of whining associated with a game of all things. Its become a real killjoy.

I personally respect your opinion, but you should have a more open mind and respect other's opinions too. If someone wants his name on something he/she made, wich is only logical in this world, then let it be. Does it hurt you or something? Pushing an extra few keys on your keyboards? :shock:

Reasons to put proper credit:
* If something broke, you will be able to find the creator and tell them easily.
* People will know where to find more of the same creator.
* The creator will appreciate it. (GOSH no, creators should just STFU and not enjoy giving out stuff!! Heavens, it makes them feel good to see their name on something, NOT ALLOWED NOT ALLOWED!! BUUUURN!!)

It is free, it is good, it is given without anything in return except credit, what more do people want!?

Inactive
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: