PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:59:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using  (Read 18907 times)
Blodeuwedd
ARR!

View Profile
How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 12, 14:21:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well...it seems to me those pay site owners are lying about "helping pay for bandwith"..... :evil:
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 November 12, 14:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mr. Teadrinker uses Godaddy and he's fairly happy with them.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
photo
ARR!

Ish a vampeah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2006 November 12, 20:16:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i want to know what Pescado has....

Is a female
Solander
ARR!

This is me ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 November 15, 12:37:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok,

as i decided to browse your board for some time, i could add my own server stats here. Maybe this is interesting for some of you.

I currently run Pimp my Sims.com with the follow stats:

10,000+ users per day on average, more than 15,000 per day at the weekend
About 40GB traffic per day, more than a terabyte per month
About 200.000 Pageviews per day
Based on Typo3 as Content Management System (quite powerfull, but hungry for CPU, RAM etc.)

This is run on a server with AMD Opteron 175 (Dual-Core), 4.096 MB DDR-RAM and 2 x 250 GB harddrive (Hardware RAID1).

More simple servers simply could not handle the traffic and database queries produced by our visitors and i did upgrade every 3 month since the start of my site.

This server does cost me about 160$ per month.

I considered using some cheaper providers but did not due to the following reasons

• lack of stability (i would like to make sure, my provider is still alive next year)
  • Performance: i want users to browse my site as fast and easy as possible
  • Features: Hosting packets mostly include very much restrictions on configuration etc
  • Bandwidth: The most important point. At least in germany, every single "you get as much bandwidth as you would like to" provider somewhere in his terms of use includes a little "reasonable usage" sentence. This means, if you reach one terabyte, you can bet your house they will kick you.
And yes, i could still run my site at lower costs, if i would distribute downloads to yahoo-groups, free webspace etc. But in fact, i would not be able to check hundreds of files splitted on dozends of webspaces, providers etc. This could simply not be handled at a reasonable effort.

I don't cry about the money i spend, but I do not think that those "5 bucks for heaven on earth" examples posted above fit to every site or the country a website owner lives at. Those costs vary from site to site, so a general "if you pay more than XY, you pay to much" isn't realistic in my opinion.

Solander

Webmaster of Pimp my Sims.com
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 November 15, 12:52:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We'll probably break a TB either this month or next month. Our host hasn't even blinked at this. Last month we clocked in about 850 GBs. Malaysian hosting has been good so far.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 November 15, 13:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Using normal html pages is less hungry than a database backend.  I am only using the forum model for my site at the moment becuase I am not expecting to be creating masses of stuff.   If I got really busy I would go back to webpages.

Whatever, I decide what I can afford to buy and don't put more stuff up onto it than I can afford.  The few houses I have made went straight up onto MTS2 cos they were big Smiley

Anyway Solander, you're a multi-creator site.  They do get expensive to run.   I can't spot if you're a paysite or not, I didn't see any paypal buttons, but in general another way of running a multi-creator site instead of asking for the users to pay, perhaps the creators could each pay their share like they would if it was their own site.

Solander
ARR!

This is me ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006 November 15, 13:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My site is not pay and the other creators are some friends of me, so it's free for them, too. I just wanted to point out that bandwidth and webspace costs vary from country to country so running a high-traffic site in malaysia maybe costs much less than in germany or another country.

Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 November 15, 13:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am in the UK and I wouldn't dream of having a UK-based web host!!!   Are there site owners who think they had to choose a server local to them?  No wonder it's costing.   US hosting services are many times cheaper than in the UK, and Malaysia might be cheaper, I haven't looked into it.  No wonder people are moaning about the costs if they think they're limited to one country to buy the service from.  :lol:

Solander
ARR!

This is me ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006 November 15, 14:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, i don't think i am limited to germany as source for potential providers. But i would like to get support in german and i feel more "save" if i know, german laws apply to my provider. If some provider in malaysia would kick me, i would have no chance to do anything but searching a new one.

Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 November 15, 15:42:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am very lucky with my provider that I seem to have the best of both worlds, but for the purposes of sharing free stuff for a game I wasn't overly concerned with quality and reliability like I would have been if it was the public face of my business that I was relying on for a living.   I keep a copy of my site on my hard disk so if I had to start again it would just be a case of trickling it all up by ftp over several hours.   That's one of the reasons why I am not entirely happy with the forum style for content it's much harder to ressurect after a move.

Solander
ARR!

This is me ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 2006 November 15, 18:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel like Pimp my Sims.com is my public face. If I find any wrong links (e.g. pictures instead of packages in downloads), I feel like standing naked on a market place in front of a large crowd. And I definetely don't like this Wink

Even 30minutes downtime are too much in my eyes. Maybe i'm kind of a perfectionist related to my website. So its my own decision to pay "somewhat" more than I would have to, if I did choose some other provider, but that's ok for me, as long as I can afford it.

Caedre
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 November 15, 19:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Solander, have you looked at the godaddy site?
I doubt they will be gone next year, since they already exist quite a while.
You can buy additional options if you don't like what they offer, I'm pretty sure its cheaper than what you have atm.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 November 15, 20:52:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Solander"
My site is not pay and the other creators are some friends of me, so it's free for them, too. I just wanted to point out that bandwidth and webspace costs vary from country to country so running a high-traffic site in malaysia maybe costs much less than in germany or another country.

Yes, so what's the benefit of hosting in Germany, then? Move your site to Malaysia instead. Tongue

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Solander
ARR!

This is me ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2006 November 15, 20:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you can guarantee a 24/7 support with native german speakers and a place of juridication (thats the translation for gerichtsstand) not being in kuala lumpur, i will give it a try  :lol:

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 November 15, 22:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This looks nice, and the owner of hxxp://sims2writershangout.com is very happy about it. She has been there for about a year now.

http://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

200GB storage at signup (+1GB a week)
2 TB (2000GB) a month bandwidth (+16GB a week)
9,95 dollars a month

I wish I had the money to pay for a year. Setup fees for monthly hosting are very high though.

Inactive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: