PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:53:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using  (Read 18907 times)
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
How much does bandwith cost and how much could they be using
« on: 2006 November 07, 21:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a package with siteground, an american host for all of $5 per month inc domain. I get 900GB transfer each month. We found our host after about 1 hr of research and going to places like rate my host. There are several hosts who are now even offering bigger bandwidth allocations, for maybe a dollar more. Our host has 99.9% uptime, and we have not had a single outage yet.

If my site went donation, it would be like 10 or 20 cents each. Not to mention it would be a cold day in hell for me not to be able to afford our hosting even with exchange rates.

Now my site is a little quiet at the moment, knocking on average 50GB a month, last couple of months its been a little slower cause we're all busy in RL.

Now, for me it leaves 2 options in regards to those who should be destroyed.
Option 1: they are idiots and got locked into a dud package
Option 2: they are greedy and trying to live off the community.

I wonder which one applies to most people?

I mean, how much bandwidth could they really be using?

Pesky Pescado's in your garden? SublimeSims.net. Proud host to Illusions of Grandeur, Calalily Sims and Sims2Artists.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 07, 22:15:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's a combination and/or type of situation.

Either they are trying to get rich off the community, or they are complete morons who paid for the first package they saw, and it was a huge package too.

Pescado pays $50 per year for this site, with unmetered (read:  UNLIMITED) bandwidth transfer.  I believe he actually paid a bit more on top of that to get up to 10GB space, and he has a deal in the works to get an additional 60 or 70 GB of space.  So these paysite owners don't even stand a chance.

If they would do more research in the first place without dollar signs in their eyes, they could do what they claim to love (for the most part, except pervert Openhouse Jack Tongue) for free, and for less than the cost of a cappuccino every day for a month.

And you've had me wondering which site is yours for awhile, damn my curiosity.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 07, 23:02:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow! I need to look into that too... I'm being ripped off!

Inactive
Xerolize
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 08, 00:48:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i want to know what plan you have.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 08, 01:19:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"

I already told you where to get it! Why are you still being ripped off? Silly Nouk. What kind of Dutchie are you?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
simhunter
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 08, 03:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"

hey nouk, your site is great but you have been ripped off, lol.
i just found a free host after searching for hours, www.profusehost.net and you get 1gb of space and 100gb of bandwith and a Cpanel account and a whole bunch  of other stuff. And if you pay i think like 2 dolalrs you get i think like 1.5gb space (i think) and 150 gb of bandwith. I signed up for free. But since you have a domain you can transfer and keep your domain free i think. I wish i would have found it sooner lol.

Alll the paysites are OVERcharging, especially when they make you pay for individual items.
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 08, 11:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do not suggest a free site. Bandwith is cheap but it's worth paying SOMETHING for it - you don't get ads plastered over your site and it makes it more likely the provider will work with you if you go over your bandwith limits, rather than just yanking the whole thing.

It's always amused me when I've come across a partial pay site that was almost never up because they used a free server. You'd think if they were greedy they'd understand that initial outlay of money for constant up time = MORE MONEY in the end... Penny wise, pound foolish. Tongue
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 08, 11:21:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm tempted to offer someone free hosting on my domain.
You'd get your subdomain, 5GB hdd space and 100GB transfer per month.
No interference from my site, only catch - gotta be free, no donate button no nothing. Host is prepaid for a further 18mths.

Drop me a PM if anyone is interested...

-Missy

Pesky Pescado's in your garden? SublimeSims.net. Proud host to Illusions of Grandeur, Calalily Sims and Sims2Artists.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 08, 11:38:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds really good! But what happens if the site bloats to 500 gigs bandwidth, or more?  :shock:

Inactive
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 08, 11:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got up to 900Gb, and at the moment last month we pushed out all of 17GB.
I for a big time creator like you Nouk I'm prepaired to say: how much do you need/want?
-Missy

simplystella
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 11, 14:35:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'll give my two cents.

I went for a very cheap domain+hosting plan for my site(s).
It's an italian hosting service. My plan includes:
- Domain registration
- Hosting with unlimited space (wich is the mainly reason I like it )
- (I went for a Windows server instead of a Linux, but you can chose between Linux, Windows or Linus+Windows server)
- 5 emails with my domain name
- I also bought an additional MYSQL database.

I'm not sure about the bandwith. I'm not technically aware.
As for the cons.
I have to say the server isn't very stable. It happens sometime that my site is unavaiable for several hours and I can do nothing about it.
I also believe the bandwith isn't very high, since the since occasionally go down whenever I have more then 700 visitors in a day (but this doesn't happen frequently, lol), so I wouldn't recommend this to those who have lots of visitors.

Btw, this all costs to me about 30€ a year, wich I think it's pretty cheap, or at least something I can afford to pay with my casual jobs :wink:

url=http://www.starsims.net]starsims[/url]
simplystella
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 11, 20:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My site is $7US a month for 35Gb disk space and 800Gb transfer.  There is no need for most of these sites to charge.  If the artiste spends one less evening going out and one more evening prettying up her website, she's paid for the month already.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 12, 09:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you talking about my host?  They have an excellent reputation - you can read their support forums before joining and get an idea of what type of complaints they get and how they fix them.  Lunarpages.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Caedre
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 12, 13:19:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For everyone who wants a cheap reliable host: http://www.godaddy.com

• 5 GB Space   • 250 GB Transfer = Just $3.99/mo (for 2 months, if you buy more it gets cheaper Smiley )

• 100 GB Space   • 1,000 GB Transfer = Just $6.99/mo ( 24 months: Just $5.59/mo )

• 200 GB Space   • 2,000 GB Transfer = Just $14.99/mo ( 24 months: Just $11.99/mo )

Well, atleast I think its pretty cheap..
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 12, 13:49:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Competitive pricing, but they probably have a draconian TOS and are too susceptible to whining.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: